throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Mary Kay Cabot on Browns & QBs, OT Robinson, LB Mack discussion

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Mary Kay Cabot on Browns & QBs, OT Robinson, LB Mack discussion

Why are the Cleveland Browns still working out Johnny Manziel and other QBs this late in the draft process?: Hey Mary Kay!
    By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
    on April 20, 2014 at 8:59 AM, updated April 20, 2014 at 9:21 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Hey Mary Kay!

Hey Mary Kay: Why are the Browns still working out quarterbacks like Johnny Manziel this late in the draft process and bringing them in for visits?
    -- Matt W., Cincinnati, Ohio

Hey Matt: The Browns will take a quarterback somewhere early on in this draft and need to prepare for every possibility. At this point, no one has any idea what the Texas are going to do at No. 1. Will coach Bill O'Brien take a chance on Johnny Manziel? Will he go the safer route and draft Blake Bortles? Or will he eschew the quarterback position overall and take Jadeveon Clowney or Khalil Mack? The Browns might like two of the top quarterbacks and both could be gone by No. 4, which means they'd be looking at one with their No. 26 pick. Or they could package No. 26 and No. 35 and move up in the first round to take a Derek Carr. So, they have to find several quarterbacks that they really like and think they can with, and be prepared to take one whenever the opportunity arises.

Hey Mary Kay: Should the Browns draft Johnny Manziel at No. 4 for the excitement it would bring to the team over the next several years?
    -- Scott B., Palm Desert, Ca.

Hey Scott: Johnny Football would undoubtedly fill the seats and generate plenty of buzz for the foreseeable future, but the Browns have to block all of that out and base their decision solely on his ability to win in the NFL. Not at Texas A&M, but in the NFL, where he's never been chased or hit by the likes of defenders that he'll see at this level. Everyone agrees that Manziel has the "it factor'' that coach Mike Pettine talked about at the NFL Annual Meeting, but plenty of good quarterback experts I've talked to over the past few months have expressed concern about Manziel's durability in the pros. That's the big question facing the Browns and other teams picking in the top five.

Hey Mary Kay: Do you think the Browns should take Buffalo pass-rusher Khalil Mack with the No. 4 pick?
    -- Chris M., Macon, Georgia

Hey Chris: I think the Browns should take one of the top quarterbacks with the No. 4 pick, surround him with a lot of talent, give him the support that rookie quarterbacks here never get and see where that goes. It's tough to get it right with first-round quarterbacks, but it's time for the Browns to draft one in the top five -- something they haven't done since No. 1 overall pick Tim Couch in 1999 -- and try to get to the playoffs with him. Even Geno Smith with all of his struggles won eight games with the Jets last year. Having said that, I think they really like Mack and that he's on their radar at No. 4.

Hey, Mary Kay: I like what I see from Mike Pettine so far but obviously the proof will be in September on the field. One thing I don't like is the "Play like a Brown" saying. Anyone who watches Hard Knocks knows that was Rex Ryan's favorite saying "Play like a Jet.'' Every time I hear it from Pettine I think of the Jets. I know Mike P. will take a lot of things from Rex but he should of come up with his own saying in this case. Does this bother you or anyone else in the media or the fans?
    - Mike Burke, Cumming, Ga.

Hey Mike: I have no problem with coach Pettine using phrases that he learned from Rex Ryan or other bosses. All coaches borrow philosophies, schemes and slogans from their mentors. Pettine will put his own stamp on the Browns, but he'll incorporate things he learned from Ryan, his own father and others. After interviewing him four or five times now, I'm very impressed and I think Browns fans will like him.

Hey, Mary Kay: I am a Browns fan but never having played or studied the fine points of the game, my question has to do with the possibility of moving Paul Kruger to the ILB position where there is need and if Khalil Mack is available at #4, he will likely be selected by the Browns, given so many good players available at the wide receiver position. Kruger has the size and I would think being an OLB, he should be faster than many ILB candidates.
    - Larry Dykes, Indian Lake, Pa.

Hey Larry: I think Paul Kruger's strength is as an edge rusher and that he needs to play on the outside. However, I don't think that would preclude the Browns from drafting Khalil Mack, who figures to be a dominant pass-rusher in the NFL. If the Browns take Mack at No. 4, they can still get a good quarterback such as Jimmy Garoppolo at No. 26 and a good receiver or corner at No. 35. Elite pass-rushers are one of the few positions that warrant a top five pick. I think the Browns will also strongly consider Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson with the No. 4 overall pick.

Hey, Mary Kay: I was wondering if the Browns were looking at Jimmy Garoppolo? I think he is a sleeper and could be a very good option for the Browns in the draft. I am a born and raised blood-runs-orange diehard Browns fan. I don't live in Cleveland anymore but that does not make a difference. Always am and always will be a diehard Browns Fan!
    - Robert Turkaly, Phoenix, Ariz.

Hey Robert: The Browns conducted private workouts with Garoppolo and other second-tier quarterbacks such as Alabama's A.J. McCarron, Pitt's Tom Savage and Ball State's Keith Wenning. They're prepared to take a quarterback anywhere in the draft. They're also considering Georgia's Aaron Murray, who's five months removed from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. This week, they'll get another look at most of the quarterbacks when they come to town for pre-draft visits. Blake Bortles will be here Monday and Tuesday, and Derek Carr, Murray and others will also be in this week.

Hey, Mary Kay: Conspiracy theory for you. The Browns have yet to sign a veteran backup quarterback, though they acknowledge they need one. I think they are waiting until after the draft. They are targeting Derek Carr in the draft. Once they select him, they will sign his brother as the backup. What do you think?
    - Mitch Schwartz, Fairfield, Calif.

Hey Mitch: From everything I can gather, the Browns really like Derek Carr and are strongly considering drafting him. Carr has said teams have inquired about signing his big brother David, the former no.1 pick of the Texans, as a backup to help mentor and push him. I have no idea if the Browns are one of those teams, but I'm sure the thought has at least cross their minds. David Carr spent a season with Kyle Shanahan in Houston in 2006, when Shanahan was wide receivers coach, so they have a familiarity with each other. What's more, David is extremely well-versed in the West Coast system Shanahan runs and can help teach it to his brother.

Hey Mary Kay: With a reported draft as deep as this year... Would it be worth trading any 2015 picks for picks this year's draft?
    - Nate Workman, Cincinnati, Ohio

Hey Nate: With 10 picks in this draft, anything is possible. The Browns might package picks to move up, they might trade back, they might trade some for picks next year and they might borrow from next year to take a player this year. It's all on the table and it should be an exciting three days. It might even include trade discussions for Washington backup Kirk Cousins.

Hey, Mary Kay: What are the Browns going to do about the cornerback spot opposite Joe Haden? Will they draft one early, sign one, or (gulp) go into next season with Buster Skrine starting?
    - John Jay, Erie, Pa.

Hey John: I think the Browns will draft a cornerback fairly high, possibly within the first three picks. They gave up far too many TD passes last year and collapsed at the end of the half and end of games because of coverage issues. Skrine can still cover the slot, but they need another shutdown corner on the outside, preferably a big, physical corner who can outmuscle bigger receivers.
    MauiRam likes this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Mary Kay Cabot on Browns & QBs, OT Robinson, LB Mack discussion

Nice find Nick .

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Re: Mary Kay Cabot on Browns & QBs, OT Robinson, LB Mack discussion

Hey Browns, Trade up for our spot :-)