shower beers is offline Registered User

Mathias Kiwanuka

I thought I would start up a place to have a discussion about this impending free agent. It seems possible that he could hit the open market, and has an obvious former connection to our head coach. I think a lot of people around here think there's a chance he could land here.

Anyway, I'll start it off with this bit of info on rotoworld this morning, via the new york daily news:

-------------

Giants GM Jerry Reese suggested that the team may only offer impending free agent DE Mathias Kiwanuka a one-year deal this offseason.
    According to Reese, the one-year offer would be "so that he can reestablish his value." The proposal makes sense, but if Kiwanuka hits the market he'll have plenty of suitors probably willing to go multiple years despite a season-ending neck injury. With 2010 first-round pick Jason Pierre-Paul clearly ready for a big role, Kiwi may have played his last snap as a Giant.

-------------

I think he may hit the open market, personally. Seeing the stable of d-lineman around him and the possibility to cash in elsewhere may prove enough for him to leave NY. I think he could fit in nicely here, and provide some more muscle at the OLB spot on occasion. The ability to have Hall, Long, Kiwanuka, and Robbins on the field at once has to look good for our 3rd down defense.

Re: Mathias Kiwanuka

I might add, that a quick poke around the Giants' message board shows that next to no one believes he will return.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Yeah I'd love Kiwanuka to join the Rams and I think we'd have a good shot at hime. He had his best year (8 sacks) in Spags' last year in New York, and his versatility as an OLB would be welcome as well.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I think it's a very possible situation, actually. Kiwanuka has played rather well for New York, playing both standing up as well as in a 3 point stance. Spags has plenty of experience with him, being on the staff when they drafted him, and then also with using him in-season as the d coordinator.

My question would be, what would we be bringing him in for? As a DE to put into rotation with Hall and Long? As a starting OLB? I'm not sure how good he is in coverage, so he very well could be a liability if we leave him out there and not rushing the passer.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I think it's a very possible situation, actually. Kiwanuka has played rather well for New York, playing both standing up as well as in a 3 point stance. Spags has plenty of experience with him, being on the staff when they drafted him, and then also with using him in-season as the d coordinator.

My question would be, what would we be bringing him in for? As a DE to put into rotation with Hall and Long? As a starting OLB? I'm not sure how good he is in coverage, so he very well could be a liability if we leave him out there and not rushing the passer.
    Yeah I can't say one way or the other, with confidence. I haven't watched enough of the Giants, but I would imagine that a DE/OLB hybrid wouldn't be the quickest in coverage.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I think Spags loves versatile players, could definitely see him coming here. Many of those giant super bowl defenders loved playing with Spags, I see no reason why Kiwi is any different.

I envision him mainly rotating at defensive end with James Hall, but I could see him taking snaps at OLB on obvious run downs, and even DT on passing downs.

Also by my count, the Giants will still have three stud defensive ends; Osi, Tuck, and JPP. I wonder if they'll give their old d coordinator the odd man out via a trade?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He actually started his career at SLB after playing DE at Boston College. It took him a while to get used to the position then he was moved back to DE where he excelled. Even though he is fully capable of playing SLB he is a much better DE. His problem is he has never been able to stay healthy. Instead of spending big money on Kiwi I would continue to develop George Selvie behind James Hall and get another young pass rusher in the draft.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Good post.

IMO, he'd be a situational everything guy. Rotating in as a pass rusher when needed and as a SLB on obvious run downs. Just plug him in in situations where we need him, and we're also more than covered in the event of an injury to Long or Hall.

richtree is offline Registered User

He seems to be a 'tweener more fit as a 3-4 olb.....his injuries can only make him slower and he wasn't great in coverage already....

Chad Greenway, David Harris, or even James Anderson seem to be better options if you pony up some cash