Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Matt Birk to the Rams?

didnt Devaney say something about only bringing in young veterans no older than 28?

that being said,personally i would go for him...he may be 32 but i think early thirties is the prime age of a Centre...they have seen virtually everything a D can throw at you and still are physically able to perform.

also out of all the O-linemen...the Centre is the least likely to get injured due to the fact that they are rarely the primary blocker..usually the 2nd blocker who helps out once the LG or RG has taken the initial impact off the defensive player.

if we got Birk on board...i would fully expect to see improved play in our whole O-line but especially our guards and especially Bell..no longer would his weaknesses be exposed by having no help from the Centre position,he`d be able to play to his strengths.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I thought Kevin Mawae was done when he went to the Titans, yet he has solidified that O line and helps command one of the most potent rushing offenses in the NFL.
    And what about Faneca to the Jets?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Signing birk would have no bearing on a decision to draft crabtree. I fail to see how signing a center changes the fact that we need a long term solution at tackle.

I think Birk would be a terrific addition. I dont know where people come off saying 5 million is too much money when the guy is a top flight center still playing at a very high level at a position that is one of our worst. Of course we need a long term solution, but i dont see any reason that we cant get at least two years out of Birk. This team needs TALENT and it needs an offensive line if we are going to compete and Birk addresses both of those issues.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramer is offline Registered User

It would be a huge pickup. I hope it's true.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    And what about Faneca to the Jets?
    Faneca is a left guard, not a center. Similar, but not the same. I agree with what Ramblin said about hopefully not getting as injured.

Can't say I followed the Jets a lot, is he considered a bust up there or what? But of course I'm not talking about giving him a HUGE contract like Faneca either.

Finally I was just throwing it out there that it could be done. 32 does seem old, but with the Birk's high income, good health, and the advances of medical technology, I could see him playing for at least another ten to twenty years.

djdeeznutz Guest

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are re-builiding a team!!!

That calls for players to develop mainly young players. We already have too many overpaid veterans on the team why get another.

In 2 years do you see the the Rams in the Superbowl? (i see them in the playoffs but leave in 1st round)

That is why we should not give a 32 year old birk 5mil per!

If you count of him to mentor the young OL then why is pace still there?

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    In 2 years do you see the the Rams in the Superbowl? (i see them in the playoffs but leave in 1st round)
    In 2 years this team could be anywhere, just look at where Whisenhunt's Cardinals landed in two years upon his arrival. They have their fair share of veterans on team, not just young players. So, a legit veteran center such as Birk gives the Rams a better chance to compete than any other center on this roster.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

It would be a nice pickup in the free agency if we do get Matt Birk.

That being said, I would rather take Alex Mack over Matt Birk, and Birk over Unger, Luigs or Caldwell.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I thought Kevin Mawae was done when he went to the Titans, yet he has solidified that O line and helps command one of the most potent rushing offenses in the NFL. Oh yeah and he's 38, SIX years older than Birk for those of you that struggle in math. In other words, HECK YES. This doesn't mean we can't draft a center or other o lineman, but it means they can learn the ropes while Birk is paving holes for S Jax.

That being said, AV's right, this should be taken about as seriously as if I posted that the Rams are interested in Jordan Gross and threw out a big number that he could get paid.

By the way the Rams are expected to show interest in T Jordan Gross when the free agency period begins in late February.
    The C-Mob Gazette badly estimates Gross could be had for $40 million over five seasons. The Rams haven't had an effective right tackle since a long time. Gross, 28, should be a beast in the league for quite some time.
    Like your post here C-Mob. Totally worth opening holes for S-Jax. Doing that and concentrating our draft on D, should make us a thousand times better pretty quickly.

Everyone needs to remember the difference S-Jax makes to this team behind a paper bag OL, imagine if we actually had decent players up there?

S-Jax with no -room = amazing. S-Jax with room =... ??? potential!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Like your post here C-Mob. Totally worth opening holes for S-Jax. Doing that and concentrating our draft on D, should make us a thousand times better pretty quickly.

Everyone needs to remember the difference S-Jax makes to this team behind a paper bag OL, imagine if we actually had decent players up there?

S-Jax with no -room = amazing. S-Jax with room =... ??? potential!

I think that Jackson will be a force to reckon with if we had a bulldozing o-line to clear some lanes for him. It would also help if we don't call sweep plays every other down. This guy should be running straight up the middle.

That being said, he would run more effectively up the middle if we had a strong interior to give him some lanes. Getting a good center would be the first start.

shower beers is offline Registered User

How old was McCollum when he hung them up? Point being, 32 isn't really past the prime of a center. If any of this speculation is true, Birk would be a fantastic pickup for this team. It would almost certainly help with our current Bulger situation.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    How old was McCollum when he hung them up? Point being, 32 isn't really past the prime of a center. If any of this speculation is true, Birk would be a fantastic pickup for this team. It would almost certainly help with our current Bulger situation.
    MCcollum playd for Detroit this year guys...

KappaSig is offline Registered User

One side of me sees what an impact a health matt birk could do for this team for a couple of seasons, but the other just has that feeling with our luck he gets hurt in week one and stuck eating all that dough for nothing.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I thought Kevin Mawae was done when he went to the Titans, yet he has solidified that O line and helps command one of the most potent rushing offenses in the NFL. Oh yeah and he's 38, SIX years older than Birk for those of you that struggle in math. In other words, HECK YES. This doesn't mean we can't draft a center or other o lineman, but it means they can learn the ropes while Birk is paving holes for S Jax.

That being said, AV's right, this should be taken about as seriously as if I posted that the Rams are interested in Jordan Gross and threw out a big number that he could get paid.

By the way the Rams are expected to show interest in T Jordan Gross when the free agency period begins in late February.
    The C-Mob Gazette badly estimates Gross could be had for $40 million over five seasons. The Rams haven't had an effective right tackle since a long time. Gross, 28, should be a beast in the league for quite some time.
    I agree 110% good post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12