Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    keith m. klink Guest

Matt cassell- franchise qb???

I want to let everyone know, that I would support the REMOVAL of MARK BULGER. For the past 2 years AFTER THE BIG CONTRACT he has been below par for the course to say the least . His quiet demeanor has not led to leadership in my eye's , and i can't put all this on the line ,injuries or the running game . Ifeel he is not a game changer or a big play maker . When Warner was here if we had the ball on our own 10 yard line with 60 seconds left , it didn't matter who we were playing , ( DON'T EVEN SAY THIS ISN'T TRUE , WE ALLLLL THOUGHT THAT THE RAMS WOULD PULL OUT A WIN WITH 3-4 PASSES AND TOUCHDOWN.) now we have a QB that cant get us a first down on 3 passes week after week . iI am all for drafting a new QB , but trade bulger away , take a loss , pay a portion of the salery and send him to the K.C. CHIEFS.

sign WARNER TO a 2 -3 year deal to be the starter until the new kid comes around . or sign CASSELL and start new with a new coach and QB

( SEE THE MIAMI DOLPHINS )

tdog08 is offline Registered User

Re: Matt cassell- franchise qb???

Bulger contract is to high to let him go

rammer74 is offline Registered User

i could'nt agree more with you keith,i have no faith in bulger what so ever,i would love to see cassell in the blue & gold or draft tim tebow

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Reality check time:

The Patriots are going to franchise Cassel at the least, if they don't give him a long term deal. If Tom Brady's knee problems are as bad as rumored, he's missing 2009 and the Patriots would still need Cassel as a result. The Patriots now understand that while they can scout talent well, they can't just simply replace every free agent with the draft and through their internal depth, and won't let him walk away.

Additionally, knee injuries are hard to fully come back from, so the Patriots may decide that Brady's day is indeed over and Cassel is the QB of the future.

Finally, Cassel plays in a very productive, QB-friendly offensive system (freak Brady injury notwithstanding). The Rams currently lack the personnel to use a very productive, QB-friendly offensive system.

I'm willing to bet that Cassel would perform about as well as Bulger....only we'd be in worse trouble financially since we are paying for two franchise quarterbacks, even if we cut Bulger.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Like it or not the Rams are stuck with Bulger.... The only hope for those "Bulger Haters" is injury or the 5th or 6th round QB wins the starting job....

GO RAMS

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Only hope Bulger loses his starting job is...

Our QB of the future (drafted later than the 4th round) will win it over him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

keith m. klink Guest

I put CASSELL out there just for the idea , not just him. And if a 2nd rounder , 5th rounder , or even 7th rounder wins the job fine , if #10 can get his act together and put up 25 td's and 10 int a year for 3-4 years fine , he's being paid for that . NOT THIS.

richtree is offline Registered User

Bulger is owed like 10 mil of guarantees.......why would we do this and still we would have to pay him

keith m. klink Guest

Why would we do what? , I wanted to make the point THAT , with all the money he has been paid ( or will be paid) , can anyone here justify that money for these last two years of productionand will 3 more years of the SAME be acceptable too you . NO !. if Bulger can go back to his best season just before his new contract , than thats fine as you see. But anyway you look at it, if he is not producing he shouldn't be here , and the MONEY DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE NO-ONE IS GOING TO PAY TO WATCH A TEAM LOOSE . CUT YOUR LOSSES AND GO IN A DIFFERANT DIRECTION, OR FIX IT.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

First off, you have to take this into another point of view besides your own. I have never been a complete Bulger fan, nor have I ever hated him. But now, I have to defend him.

Yes Bulger had pathetic numbers. Yes he looked like a bad QB many times. But there are easy answers to why he has performed so bad this season, and last season.

First off, you look at the offense. Who do we have that Bulger can trust to throw to? Not that many as most of our guys are either injured, or are still young and have not learned the reads, mastered their timing, nor have they perfected their route running. This all comes with NFL experience.
    Starting this season, we had a a decent offense. Each offensive system generally looks for:
    A down field, speedy receiver. (We have that with Avery)
    A quick, route running receiver that has solid hands. (Torry Holt.)
    A possession receiver that will take some pressure off the other receivers. (Maybe Burton.)
    And a couple big redzone targets. (McMichael and Bennett.)
    Plus a good running back. (Jackson.)

But now try to understand. Bennett, having underperformed to his expectations last season, gets injured. That's one of our key weapons down. Then McMichael, our only TE capable of playing in the NFL, gets injured. So another weapon down. Bulger is now getting worried. But no worries right? We still have the beast in Steven Jackson. But defenses soon figure out our lame offensive schemes, (THANKS SAUNDERS!) and Jackson can't reach his full potential since defenses are always thinking run, and the fact that our o-line can't make lanes, and Jackson held out in training camp.

Now we try to pass. We rely on our youngsters Avery and Burton, and our veteran Holt. Since defenses double cover Holt, we have to focus on Donnie and Keenan. But the thing is, they haven't developed yet, nor have they gained enough experience. Plus the fact that early season injuries have weighed them down. Their timings are somewhat off, and they haven't developed the reads and chemistry that most QBs develop with their receivers.

So now we basically only have Holt and Klop for our passing game, and Jackson for our running game. THEN, Jackson gets injured, and our running game is completely anihilated. We had no running game whatsoever after Jackson was gone. He was the engine to our offense, and when he went down, our wheels fell apart, and our drunk driver got into a wreck. (Linehan.)

This is how Bulger likely feels. He really can't trust his offensive line, his receivers are still young and learning, his running back is injured, and his offensive coordinator cannot sucks.

Every time he drops back to pass, he worries about avoiding a sack more than trying to throw a pass. This is not normal.

Then Linehan is fired, and Haslett is promoted to interim HC. We get Fells and Stanley. But this is of no use. Fells is not used at all by our OC, who can't seem to utilize our weapson, and Stanley has more learning to do than Avery and Burton. I do congratulate Stanley with a brilliant catch and TD run for his first NFL reception.

But, we still do not have any major weapons, and our running back comes back rusty after an injury. But he proves to us he is a dominant running back, because he still managed to break 1,000 yards while missing several games.

Solution: With the maturing of Burton, Avery and Stanley, and with Bennett and McMichael coming back, AND with Jackson being 100% healthy again, AND with us upgrading our offense through the draft and free agency, AND with us solidifying our o-line, I think Bulger will regain his old form.

You can't really blame Bulger. He's had a terrible season, and part of it was his fault too, but if you start to think about what he really haS to work with, then your thoughts about him might change.

Our team is basically a jigsaw puzzle. Injuries have spread a lot of our pieces apart, along with unintelligent coaches have messed this puzzle up. But all hope is not lost. With the arrival of a new HC, he can hopefully piece back together this team. Along with some new players through the draft and free agency, those will be the missing pieces of this team. After the HC pieces back the puzzle, hopefully he can superglue the puzzle.

keith m. klink Guest

I was looking at it this way, for the last two seasons BULGER has been staying at the RUSSELL center and working on everything from , films , working with his OFFENSE and even re-inventing himself as a weights guy , and building his muscle .

I don't know if i ever heard of so many 3-5 yard incompletions , I didn't see two years of work and toil in his performances , and i don't take the young receivers , injured players , coach changes or any other excuses.

HOLT - was there
    Looker -was there
    2-ROOKIES & STANLEY-were there
    KLOP-was there , he 's a second round pick , if he's no good , why is he still there.
    JACKSON- still there

Every team every year has some kind of roster turmoil, how you come out of that is by FRANCHISE players stepping up. SAME as MARKS footwork, he looked like he had no confidence , poise or the ability to pull games ( or steady plays ) out of his hat when we needed them the most . I didn't see the improvement or the leadership skills that still are not being shown.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    HOLT - was there
    Looker -was there
    KLOP-was there , he 's a second round pick , if he's no good , why is he still there.
    JACKSON- still there
    Offensive Line - Oops.

In 2006 we still had an effective offensive line. Most importantly, we had a veteran, former pro bowl quality center who could run the whole show. Bulger has a very very strong Pro Bowl season. Jax is an all-pro. He had what, the 3rd highest total yards from scrimmage EVER?

The last two years, McCollum has retired, and we've gotten crap to replace him. We're running without a brain on the line. Fix the line, we'll fix the offense.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    I was looking at it this way, for the last two seasons BULGER has been staying at the RUSSELL center and working on everything from , films , working with his OFFENSE and even re-inventing himself as a weights guy , and building his muscle .

I don't know if i ever heard of so many 3-5 yard incompletions , I didn't see two years of work and toil in his performances , and i don't take the young receivers , injured players , coach changes or any other excuses.

HOLT - was there
    Looker -was there
    JACKSON- still there

Every team every year has some kind of roster turmoil, how you come out of that is by FRANCHISE players stepping up. SAME as MARKS footwork, he looked like he had no confidence , poise or the ability to pull games ( or steady plays ) out of his hat when we needed them the most . I didn't see the improvement or the leadership skills that still are not being shown.
    Hmm. So, you expect rookie receivers to come into the NFL with great timing, great chemistry with their QB, intelligent reads, and a total understanding of the offensive system?

Of course not.

They develop those things naturally with NFL experience. No rookie receiver is going to come into the league looking like Jerry Rice.

Joe Klopfenstein is still here because McMichael is injured, and Anthony Becht is a block-only TE.

How can you ignore the injuries? Injuries plagued our o-line, and it took some of our weapons from offense out.

Injured players are not on the field. They do NOT PLAY. SO I don't know why you think having an injury is an excuse.

One MAIN problem is our o-line. The o-line allows Bulger little time to throw, which messes up HIS timing, AND our rookie receivers' timings. Our rookies still have much to learn. They were far from perfect this year.

We virtually have no established talent for Bulger to throw to, except for Torry Holt. And what do teams do? They double coverage him. And as we all know, Holt is not the burner know as he use to be, and he can't gain seperation.

So tell me, who does Bulger have to throw to? Looker? Klop? double coveraged Holt? rookies Avery and Burton who have been slowed by injuries and rookie learning curves? Stanley who has more to learn than our rookies?

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Cassell's success has to be mainly credited to Josh McDaniel's and Bill Belichick offense, more than just Cassell's talent himself. With That being said, Matt won't put up great numbers on any other team. I like how Bulger showed confidence ending the season. If the Rams can establish a solid offensive line for Marc, he can silence the critic's next year.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

You know history seems to repeat itself. Good thing people who post do not run this team..... NOT TOOO LONG AGO PEOPLE WANTED WARNER GONE...... Guess what they got what they wanted and Warner is still playing football and infact he has a game this weekend.

Do not be dumb enough to blame all of the Rams problems on Bulger. Give him some support and then evaluate his game. Playing with rookies and a makeshift line does not count as support....

Go RAms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast