Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: matt jones anyone?

I respect anyone's view that this thread is a waste of time. If you think its a waste of time, dont take your time responding to it.

Like it or not, this is a very talented young player with speed and size. THe topic is worthy of discussion, a lot more so than the typical post regarding potentially signing every single over the hill retread and has been that used to be a good player at one point in the past.

To me, the price obviously has to be right. I am not sure if i would get involved with this guy at all, but i can be convinced either way based on the views on this board. Keep in mind that the guy tested positive for BEER on his last offense. It was NOT a dui, it was a violation of his probation. Stupid? Of course. But keep in mind that if not for his off the field problems, this is a proven contributor who is young and still improving and that makes him worthy of at least consideration.

My gut tells me that spags will agree with the group that says no way, which is also why i think the likelihood of wroten (who has done NOTHING at the nfl level compared to what jones has done) coming back to the rams is very slim at best.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

All world physical abilities, not a single brain cell to back them up with.
    I would give him an invite to camp, give him an opportunity prove himself and see where his head is at, but no way do you throw anything long term at this guy.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

Bring him in. Make him pee in a cup three times a day. But if all you have against him is the one charge and a beer. Give the guy a break. Yes dumb. Yes it needs to be watched. And yes worth the risk.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I'm not sure...would Goodell let him play first of all?

Personally, I'm of a "why invite trouble?" philosophy, especially since trouble has no problem finding its way to St. Louis. So my gut says "pass."

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If he fixes his off-the-field problems, I would want to bring this guy in. He's 6-6, 220lbs. He is huge. Plus, his speed is also impressive.

We've been lacking size and height on the receiving corps for a long time. (Bennett doesn't really cound as he didn't contribute much at all)

I would consider giving this guy a chance.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I respect anyone's view that this thread is a waste of time. If you think its a waste of time, dont take your time responding to it.

Like it or not, this is a very talented young player with speed and size. THe topic is worthy of discussion, a lot more so than the typical post regarding potentially signing every single over the hill retread and has been that used to be a good player at one point in the past.

To me, the price obviously has to be right. I am not sure if i would get involved with this guy at all, but i can be convinced either way based on the views on this board. Keep in mind that the guy tested positive for BEER on his last offense. It was NOT a dui, it was a violation of his probation. Stupid? Of course. But keep in mind that if not for his off the field problems, this is a proven contributor who is young and still improving and that makes him worthy of at least consideration.

My gut tells me that spags will agree with the group that says no way, which is also why i think the likelihood of wroten (who has done NOTHING at the nfl level compared to what jones has done) coming back to the rams is very slim at best.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I think your gut is right on this one,GC.

The guy was only busted for beer but chose jail over a rehab treatment. Sadly, it doesn't sound like he's ready to deal with the problem.

Found this on google news:

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (AFP) The Jacksonville Jaguars have cut wide receiver Matt Jones for violating the terms of his plea-agreement on cocaine-possession charges.
    Jones had asked to be sent to jail rather than spend six weeks in a residential treatment facility after admitting he drank a couple of beers - a violation of the agreement reached in October, when Jones was ordered to undergo a league-sponsored substance-abuse counseling programme.
    In July, Jones had been charged with cocaine possession when he was discovered allegedly cutting up cocaine by a police officer in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
    The NFL later suspended Jones for the final three games of the regular season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.
    Jones, who was released from jail on Saturday, had failed a drug and alcohol screening - a condition of the random drug testing as part of his plea deal.
    A first-round pick of the Jaguars in 2005, the Jaguars had attempted to convert Jones from a quarterback in college to a wide receiver in the NFL with mixed results.
    Jones, 25, was having a breakout season prior to his suspension, hauling in 65 receptions for 761 yards and a pair of touchdowns. He has 166 career receptions with 15 touchdowns

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I would also pass.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...
    "Go have sex with Charlie Murphy *****es.... ahahahahahhahaahah"

AbramAssassin is offline Registered User

id take him on a small low cost contract, if he gets in any bother bye bye, little to no cap hit. he is a big target, not too bothered about his speed because being so big its hard for defenders to even get near him when the ball is thrown high. he cannot expect anyone to take him seriously and thrown bhig bucks at him. sign him to a 1 yr deal and see how he pans out.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

"No" I don't want the Rams to even bring his bad influences into the Arch City Limits.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

IMHO give him an opportunity at the minnimum. He never did fit in Del Rio's system, if he get's out of line, then send him to Buffalo with T. O. I don't believe he tested positive for alcohol, he plead guity and did his time like a man. Signing Jones would not be that much of a gamble.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AbramAssassin View Post
    he is a big target, not too bothered about his speed because being so big its hard for defenders to even get near him when the ball is thrown high.
    Why would you be bothered it? He has unbelievable speed for his size. (4.38 forty)

ecuram18 is offline Registered User

First of all, I'd like to say that I like Matt Jones. Always have. I thought he was great in Jacksonville. Good hands, big presence. But with this new staff, they aren't going to take a chance on someone who is a liability. And we have 2nd year receivers. You really want their experienced role model to be Matt Jones? Atleast if your are gonna do blow AND your a multi-millionaire NFL player, you buy a hotel room or something. In your car? That doesn't help me believe he has any common sense. Pass on Jones. If you have to ask yourself 'Is he gonna be worth the trouble?' Then you already should know your answer. Don't take a chance on someone who will most likely be suspended the first 4 games of the season.

CarRamRod is offline Registered User

With the right contract in place, why not. People often forget this man was a quaterback in college not a receiver. He has only had 3 to 4 years at the receiver position and so far he's been pretty damn good. I understand his off the feild issues but give the man a chance to redeam himself. Mabey this guys just needs to get away from Jacksonville? Even with his issues he dosent draw much attention to his team because he stays away from the media--that alone seems to be rare in the NFL. Anybody in there 20's ever Fup? Whoever gets him will get some yards outa the guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12