View Poll Results: Will the Rams draft Matt Jones?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Martz is the one guy who'd take this guy in the first round.

6 31.58%
  • Maybe. If he's there when the Rams make their second pick, they'll grab him.

3 15.79%
  • Only if he lasts until the third round.

2 10.53%
  • Only if he's available on day 2 of the draft.

0 0%
  • No way! They learned their lesson with Eric Crouch.

1 5.26%
  • Predicting who the Rams will take is like trying to predict the weather two weeks in advance.

7 36.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Matt Jones Question

For those who don't know, Matt Jones is the Arkansas QB who is entering the draft as a WR/H-back. He is 6'6, 242 and ran a 4.37 in the 40.

Do you think he is in the Rams' draft plans?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Matt Jones Question

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    For those who don't know, Matt Jones is the Arkansas QB who is entering the draft as a WR/H-back. He is 6'6, 242 and ran a 4.37 in the 40.

Do you think he is in the Rams' draft plans?
    Can you imagine the wrath that would come down from large portions of Ram Nation if Martz went with this guy at #19? I think Jones may well be worth the #19 pick, maybe not our need, but his athleticism may garner that high a value. But I feel that there would be rioting in the street in the Rams picked him in the 1st or maybe even the 2nd. And the worst part is that some out there who don't know any better would start the Eric Crouch comparisons right out of the gate.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

You have to admit that noone can be critical of Martz for showing his hand too early. Noboby knows who will be selected, not the players, the coaches, not even the FO. I don't even know it Martzie knows who will be selected until the pick is made.

Wait, that can't be right! Can it???

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: The Matt Jones Question

I wounldnt be all that upset ..... if we used our 2nd rounder on him.... imagine the possibilitys !!!!
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaRamFan
    You have to admit that noone can be critical of Martz for showing his hand too early. Noboby knows who will be selected, not the players, the coaches, not even the FO. I don't even know it Martzie knows who will be selected until the pick is made.

Wait, that can't be right! Can it???

"Tis truth, ARF. I do believe that the Voices have yet to speak.
    Last edited by Scidog68; -03-31-2005 at 10:27 PM.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

WILLN107 is offline Registered User

The first round is when you take the best athlete available and being from northwest arkansas and watching this guy make the plays he makes just by shear athleticism he could be the best draft pick the Rams have ever picked and I am including Pace and Dickerson. This kid can play anywhere and is willing to give any position a try. I believe he can convert to any postion and be a pro bowler within 2 years.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

At first glance, even thinking about taking Jones in an early round looks risky, especially with the holes on the o-line and defense, but his positives are very intiguing. He looks like a guy who could fill the need of a playmaker on special teams, a possible playmaker at tight end or H-back, and a great, multi-talented athelete who Martz could have a field day developing plays for.

The question is, can the Rams afford another experiment with so many specific needs?

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    The question is, can the Rams afford another experiment with so many specific needs?

My thoughts exactly.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If a team, any team, drafts Jones in the first two rounds, I'm going to be disappointed in them. I wouldn't spend more than a third rounder on this guy at this point.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

GSOT is offline Registered User

what do you guys mean by h-back? I know you dont mean half back so plz explain.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOT
    what do you guys mean by h-back? I know you dont mean half back so plz explain.
    The H-back is a part fullback, part tight end and part receiver position that demands the ability and athleticism to serve any number of functions. An H-back can line up in the backfield, in the slot, on the end of the line or can be set in motion, then has to be able to pass block, lead block or run pass patterns both in the flat and downfield.

A good, effective H-back would really help us, especially in the red-zone.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    then has to be able to pass block, lead block
    That's probably the biggest question I have about Jones - his blocking skills. The athleticism would be great at the TE position, but how well can he block?

GSOT is offline Registered User

I dont see why any one whould want him at te when he whoudl make an amazing receiver!? He runs a 4.37 THATS mike vick speed guys pluss he is 6-6 and has a 40 verticle inch.... I just dont see him not b eing a reciver.

I dont see why any one whould want him at te when he whoudl make an amazing receiver!? He runs a 4.37 THATS mike vick speed guys pluss he is 6-6 and has a 40 verticle inch.... I just dont see him not b eing a reciver.
    As an H-back, he could be utilized at whatever position the situation dictated. His speed, agility, strength and athleticism would allow almost limitless possibilities. As Nick mentioned, his blocking ability is the key question. One scouting report states "uses his frame to screen defenders and delivers a jolting hand punch to deliver aggressive blocks upfield", but I'm not sure how that translates to pass protection or run blocking.

How many six foot six receivers are out there? Not many. Randy Moss is only 6-4. It's his height that makes him someone to consider at tight end, because he'd make a great red zone target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast