Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TekeRam

Thread: Matthews looks to continue family tradition in NFL

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Matthews looks to continue family tradition in NFL

Matthews looks to continue family tradition in NFL
    By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
    Updated 3:29 pm, Wednesday, March 5, 2014

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews will be the seventh member of his family to play in the NFL if he is drafted as expected in May.

He knows his football lineage doesn't hurt him, but hopes that his work as a four-year starter for the Aggies is what really wows the scouts.

"It's always been a little something to think about," Matthews said of his famous last name. "It's a special situation. Now that I finally have my shot I'm just looking forward to going out and proving it doesn't matter what my name is, what matters is that I can play and I'm capable. And I hope teams get that from me and not just going off my name."

Matthews, the son of Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, did position drills at A&M's pro day on Wednesday. Afterward, he met with officials from the St. Louis Rams, who have the second overall pick in the draft. Matthews and Auburn's Greg Robinson are considered to be the best offensive tackles available in the draft and most believe the Rams will choose one of them.

Other members of the Matthews family who have played or are currently playing in the NFL are his grandfather Clay Matthews (offensive tackle, San Francisco), uncle Clay Matthews, Jr. (linebacker, Browns, Falcons), cousin Clay Matthews III (linebacker, Green Bay), brother Kevin Matthews (center, Tennessee) and cousin Casey Matthews (linebacker, Philadelphia).

He said growing up in that environment was invaluable to his development as a player.

"It helps a lot," he said. "It's kind of like I've been training for this whole process my whole life. It's really humbling, especially being a part of this family with the tradition of football we have."

Quarterback Johnny Manziel attended the event, but did not work out. The 2012 Heisman Trophy winner is scheduled to throw for scouts on March 27. Manziel did not speak to reporters on Wednesday, but Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin answered questions about his departing star.

"Obviously I've got a different perspective than a lot of different folks from a human standpoint," Sumlin said when asked if there's anything people overlook about Manziel. "That will always be something special."

Also in attendance was receiver Mike Evans, who also only watched the event after working out at the NFL combine last month. Representatives for all 32 NFL teams were at the event as nine other Aggies went through drills.

Matthews played right tackle for his first three years at Texas A&M before switching to left tackle for his senior year. Sumlin said his versatility is one of his great qualities.

"He's such a team guy," Sumlin said. "So mature, patient. He's strong. He's athletic and has been a real leader in this program since the time we arrived. In my opinion, he's not just a tackle he's one of the few guys in the country that can play all five."

Matthews hopes that returning for his senior season and playing another position will help his draft stock.

"Teams can only take seven linemen in the NFL to games so you've got to have guys that can swing around and play different positions," he said. "So knowing that I can play either tackle, I think that's something that really helps me out a lot."

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Matthews looks to continue family tradition in NFL

I have to say, he's got to be one of the safest picks of all time. The fact that he also has the ability to go along with his high draft status only cements in my mind that he's where we should go with our first pick, whether it's at 2 or 4 or 6 or wherever.

A few years ago we had the choice between a hall of fame family member and a workout wonder. One's a great starter and one's out of the league. Thankfully, Chris Long was the right choice. Jake Matthews can play any position on the line(at least according to his coach above) and more importantly, understands and is ready for what it takes to be successful in the NFL. I have no worry in my mind that he'll be a 12 year starter in this league barring injury.

Some people will say that you need to bat for the home run at the top of the draft. I say you need to bat for the guy who will keep giving you doubles for over a decade. The new slotting system makes it less painful to swing and miss, but you have success when you don't in the first place. Robinson is an awesome athlete and has great upside. Give me the guy who's already matured and can step into any spot day one and succeed, even if his ceiling might not be in the stratosphere.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    I believe!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I have to say, he's got to be one of the safest picks of all time. The fact that he also has the ability to go along with his high draft status only cements in my mind that he's where we should go with our first pick, whether it's at 2 or 4 or 6 or wherever.

A few years ago we had the choice between a hall of fame family member and a workout wonder. One's a great starter and one's out of the league. Thankfully, Chris Long was the right choice. Jake Matthews can play any position on the line(at least according to his coach above) and more importantly, understands and is ready for what it takes to be successful in the NFL. I have no worry in my mind that he'll be a 12 year starter in this league barring injury.

Some people will say that you need to bat for the home run at the top of the draft. I say you need to bat for the guy who will keep giving you doubles for over a decade. The new slotting system makes it less painful to swing and miss, but you have success when you don't in the first place. Robinson is an awesome athlete and has great upside. Give me the guy who's already matured and can step into any spot day one and succeed, even if his ceiling might not be in the stratosphere.
    I completely agree. Matthews is the complete package, and is by far the safest pick. With his pedigree, there is no doubt in my mind that he has the drive, work ethic, and football intelligence to excel in the NFL. Add that to the physical tools and versatility, and IMO, he's as close to can't miss as you're going to get.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Matthews gave an interesting answer in a recent press conference when he was asked why, despite his lineage, he was unwilling to guarantee success in the NFL, unlike some of the other prospects in the draft:

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Matthews
    Let’s think about this for a sec. Why would somebody guarantee that he’s going to be a success in the NFL? Hmmm, very interesting. Here’s the way I see it. Guy makes a fancy guarantee in a press conference because he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. Why shouldn’t it? You figure you put that promise under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come and leave a quarter, am I right? The point is, how do you the fairy isn’t a crazy glue sniffer? “Building model airplanes” says the little fairy. Well, we’re not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that’s all it takes. The next thing you know, there’s money missing off the dresser, and your daughter’s knocked up. I’ve seen it a hundred times. So people make a guarantee because they know that all you’ll be drafting is a guaranteed piece of crap. That’s all it is, isn’t it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump on the field and mark it “guaranteed,” I will. I’ve got the spare time. But for now, for your team’s sake, for your fans’ sake, you might want to think about drafting a quality player like me.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow, that's kind of.........bizarre.