Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max protection?

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Max protection?

I was looking through the needs and I came to the conclusion that we definitely need some help on the offensive line. With quite a few holes on the team I could see us using multiple picks on the offensive line, specifically the first two out of three rounds. The way I see it happening is the following:

Round 1- Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe/Michael Oher

Round 2- Max Unger/Eric Wood/Alex Mack

As of this point we will have taken care of two key positions on the line. We will have an offensive tackle to groom under Orlando Pace and then finally have a competent Center that can handle himself.

Early in this off season it was publicly announced that the Rams wanted to get bigger on the lines. So what better way to do this then to get the biggest player in the draft in Herman Johnson. Not only will he give us the size we are lacking, but he also gives us versatility. If I remember correctly he has the ability to play both guard and tackle positions. I see him going in either late 3rd or early 4th round.

Do you guys like this idea, or do you think that I am reaching too much and we should focus more picks on the defensive side of the ball?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Max protection?

I don't think it's exceptionally realistic to go OL with both picks, but I'd be fine if they did it.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think it's exceptionally realistic to go OL with both picks, but I'd be fine if they did it.
    Me too.

I wouldn't put it past Detroit to look to do the exact same thing with their picks at 21 and 33 if they select a QB 1st overall. They could really set themselves up on offense with a combination of Stafford/Britton/Mack.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Have we totally given up on Alex Barron and Ritchie Incognito? How do they fit in the grand scheme of things.
    Can Monroe/ Smith / Oher step right in and bring major contributions to the Rams O-line?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Have we totally given up on Alex Barron and Ritchie Incognito? How do they fit in the grand scheme of things.
    Can Monroe/ Smith / Oher step right in and bring major contributions to the Rams O-line?
    We pretty much have. Neither player has demonstrated that they can contribute effectively at their positions, and therefore need to be replaced.

I am confident that the above triad can contribute from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    We pretty much have. Neither player has demonstrated that they can contribute effectively at their positions, and therefore need to be replaced.

I am confident that the above triad can contribute from day 1.
    Until I hear otherwise, I'll concider AB & COGs starters for the Rams O-Line.

Are you watching the Combine today?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well Icognito is a free agent. So the new coaching staff has to determine if they would like him to return. If not then we are going to need a replacement for him. Setterstrom is also a free agent this year. If I remember correctly Alex Barron is a free agent next year. So why not make a pre-emptive strike and take the guys we need now?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Alex Barron has one year remaining on his rookie contract/....

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Is he a keeper? How about COGs/ keeper?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Barron is probably back even if he is only depth. Cogs is a RFA so we could put low round tenders on both him and Setterstrom, don't forget we still have Grecco who could be a possible starter at RG

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I think that Herman Johnson is too slow and bulky/fat to play tackle. That being said, I would love for him to play guard for us. He would instantly plug the interior up, and if we added Alex Mack/Unger into the mix, our interior could be very dominant. It would definitely give Jackson more room to run up the middle, with Mack, Bell and Johnson leading the way.

I think that we may pick Jason Smith if Detroit grabs Monroe. If this all happens, then our o-line would be:

Pace - Bell/Greco - Mack/Unger/Woods - Johnson - Smith

I really like the sound of that line. I believe that Bell oculd have a good year next year, with him adding size to his frame and getting new and better personnel around him. I mean, really? He had Lechey playing next to him for about 3/4 of the season. If Bell doesn't execute, I think that Greco could be the guy that steps up and gives us our starting LG.

Pace is still a dominant blocker when he is injury free, and I believe he has a couple good years left in his old engine of his.

Bell/Greco could give us solidity in our LG position. I like Greco's size. With him, Mack, and Johnson in the middle, it would give us a huge interior. Almost over 1000lbs. Yikes.

Mack/Unger/Woods could be our next franchise center, especially Mack. Mack showed that he was capable of blocking big NTs in the senior bowl by neutralizing B.J Raji time and time again, and showing his dominance as the number one center in the draft.

Already talked about Johnson.

Jason Smith would be a major upgrade from Barron. Smith plays with a nasty and fierce attitude, and his great athleticism and strength is a big plus. He has good arms and hands too, to mirror and wall of opposing defenders. This guy would give us a solid tackle.

Though picking o-linemen with the first three picks of the draft isn't really the most realistic thing, I would be cretainly happy if this happens. It all means better performance from Jackson, a happy and focused Bulger (he doesn't have to worry about being sacked every time he drops back to pass), which all adds up to more points on the board for us.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind if we grabbed one of the top 2 OT's then got one of the top 3 Centers with our first two picks, but I think we are getting a little crazy going with a THIRD offensive lineman on day one. I think we need to grab a MLB or SS in the third depending on what we do in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I wouldn't mind if we grabbed one of the top 2 OT's then got one of the top 3 Centers with our first two picks, but I think we are getting a little crazy going with a THIRD offensive lineman on day one. I think we need to grab a MLB or SS in the third depending on what we do in FA.
    Well in my mind, I had us taking Herman Johnson in round 4. We we used round 3 to take a quality Strong Safety. And then in free agency we would grab Bart Scott to solidify the middle linebacker position. We could then use a later draft spot to grab a young middle linebacker if we wanted to groom him.

djdeeznutz Guest

This is how i see it the Lions take a page out of the Dolphins playbook from last year and take a cheaper Jason Smith cuz of his outstanding combine performance.

The we take Eugene Monroe at #2

Clint Sintim in the 2nd to sure up the SLB position.

Then either Eric Wood or Jonathan Luigs will be there in the 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I say keep Barron! The guy could be great for depth. Pace may go down this season again so we have Barron who will be better than a Gorin or another scrub backup.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post

Clint Sintim in the 2nd to sure up the SLB position.

Then either Eric Wood or Jonathan Luigs will be there in the 3rd round.
    I don't see the need to take a SLB with our 2nd round pick, when we have a more pressing need at MLB.

I also don't see Eric Wood falling all the way down to the 3rd round. He is a top center, I can't imagine him making it past some teams with aging offensive lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast