Thread: Mayock: Jadeveon Clowney's upside in NFL tops Mario Williams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Mayock: Jadeveon Clowney's upside in NFL tops Mario Williams

Mayock: Jadeveon Clowney's upside in NFL tops Mario Williams
    By Chase Goodbread
    College Football 24/7 writer
    Published: Feb. 18, 2014 at 03:26 p.m.
    Updated: Feb. 18, 2014 at 04:25 p.m.

Just how much Jadeveon Clowney loves the game of football will be the question NFL teams are most interested in at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock.

Clowney's physical skills, on the other hand, aren't a question for Mayock. In fact, he sees more potential in Clowney than he did in a former No. 1 overall pick of the Texans at the same position, Mario Williams.

"I know that he's got the physical makeup to be the best player the draft," Mayock said. "If you want to compare him to Mario Williams, I think he's a better football player with more upside than when Mario came out of college. ... From a physical skill-set (standpoint), this kid is as freaky as they come. He plays a position of critical importance in today's NFL, which is an ability to get the quarterback, and he can play multiple places on the defense. All those things check off."

NFL scouts have questioned the consistency of Clowney's effort, and his game-day decision not to play against Kentucky last fall without following the Gamecocks' protocol of communication with trainers during the practice week only spurred questions about his motivation.

"My biggest concern is just, what's his mental makeup?" Mayock said. "How important is it to him, when he gets a paycheck, to become the best player in football, or is he just going to be happy to be a millionaire? I think that's the most critical checking point here for an organization, is finding out the motivation. What kind of kid are they going to get? I know what the football player is when motivated. I just want to know what kind of kid I'm getting."

Clowney addressed some of those questions with College Football 24/7 last week.

Clowney is considered a possibility for the Texans with the top overall pick, but with Houston having a need at quarterback and an elite pass rusher already in place in J.J. Watt, Clowney could easily be available to the St. Louis Rams at No. 2.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Mayock: Jadeveon Clowney's upside in NFL tops Mario Williams

Well .. Fortuninerhater may make it two for two in consecutive years .. Last year Tavon, and possibly this year Jadeveon.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Mario Williams is 10 sacks a year, 32 tackles a year and forces about 2 forced fumbles a year. Puts him right about Chris Long type numbers 8.5 sacks a year, 30 tackles a year and a forced fumble a year.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Mario Williams is 10 sacks a year, 32 tackles a year and forces about 2 forced fumbles a year. Puts him right about Chris Long type numbers 8.5 sacks a year, 30 tackles a year and a forced fumble a year.
    Mario Williams is 1* and Chris Long is 2*

1* - 0.671 sacks a game.
    2* - 0.526 sacks a game.

1* - 2.85 tackles/game
    2* - 2.31 tackles/game

Mario Williams is clearly better. Not to mention he has more FF's and 10 more PDF's.

THE DREAM TEAM

With all that being said, Clowney's potential is higher than Williams. Clowney is more athletic and more natural. If he is truly motivated to be a great player he will be one of the best DE's in the league. If he's motivated by cash, he'll be a big disappointment.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Mario Williams is 1* and Chris Long is 2*

1* - 0.671 sacks a game.
    2* - 0.526 sacks a game.

1* - 2.85 tackles/game
    2* - 2.31 tackles/game

Mario Williams is clearly better. Not to mention he has more FF's and 10 more PDF's.
    And if this new Mario Williams' head isn't straight, then.....

1* - 0.000 sacks a game.
    2* - 0.526 sacks a game.

1* - 0.00 tackles/game
    2* - 2.31 tackles/game
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think too many people are questioning where Clowney's ceiling might be.

I think the operative question is "where is his floor?"

I've read many opinions about his effort level and downturn in production and drawn a single conclusion: I don't know the answer.

I expect that the Rams will spend as much time as they can talking to Clowney 1-on-1 to try to get inside his head. If they think he's ready to truly become a professional, then he will likely be considered. If not, it won't matter if he can run a 4.5 or do 30 reps on the bench press.
    HUbison likes this.

demiurge is offline Registered User

We have more needs than at DE. Unless Clowney becomes a LT/Reggie White type, we simply don't need him. Even if he does, there's a question of whether it would be the right move.

Lots of great DLs failed in the playoffs. For every NY Giants - and that's the wrong term, because no team had ever previously gotten hot twice in the playoffs after mediocre seasons to win the Super Bowl - there's several Purple People Eaters or Fearsome Foursomes. The Rams best DL of all time, and IMO the single best DL of all time, had zero playoff wins. Buddy Ryan's Eagles, zero playoff wins. You need far more than just a dominant unit - you need a great team.

So hype of Clowney, and if he's available at 2, trade the pick. Far more teams had success with deep and wide drafts than did building a single great aspect of their team.
    MauiRam, DE_Ramfan and Mikey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And if this new Mario Williams' head isn't straight, then.....

1* - 0.000 sacks a game.
    2* - 0.526 sacks a game.

1* - 0.00 tackles/game
    2* - 2.31 tackles/game
    Even if he was at his worst I'm still sure he would be a relatively so-so player off physical traits alone. Plus, that comparison between Long and Williams means nothing. I was simply stating Williams is a better player than Long, nothing to do with Clowney as I think he is a better prospect than both, but we'll see in 6 or so years if he's more productive.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Even if he was at his worst I'm still sure he would be a relatively so-so player off physical traits alone. Plus, that comparison between Long and Williams means nothing. I was simply stating Williams is a better player than Long, nothing to do with Clowney as I think he is a better prospect than both, but we'll see in 6 or so years if he's more productive.
    At his worst, Clowney is not in the league.

If Clowney can overcome his work ethic and get his act together, I have no doubt that he can be a superstar. However, it's not wise to simply fast forward past his very real work ethic concerns and assume superstar-dom is imminent for this young man.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    At his worst, Clowney is not in the league.

If Clowney can overcome his work ethic and get his act together, I have no doubt that he can be a superstar. However, it's not wise to simply fast forward past his very real work ethic concerns and assume superstar-dom is imminent for this young man.
    But someone will do it, and do it early in the draft. Particularly, if he tears the roof off Lucas Oil Stadium.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Jeff Fisher has a done a great job with questionable attitudes and/or off field issue players available in the draft. If we draft Clowney it tells me Fisher can motivate the guy to be the best he can be.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM0 View Post
    Jeff Fisher has a done a great job with questionable attitudes and/or off field issue players available in the draft. If we draft Clowney it tells me Fisher can motivate the guy to be the best he can be.
    Correcto, sí señor.

demiurge is offline Registered User

He also knows when to cut his losses. Remember Albert Haynesworth? I live in the DC area. A guy that doesn't want to work can kill a team. I doubt Clowney is as bad as that clown, but I do have concerns on his work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    But someone will do it, and do it early in the draft. Particularly, if he tears the roof off Lucas Oil Stadium.
    He'll probably go top 2. If he can wrap his head around what he takes to be a professional, then I'm sure he'll probably be great. But if he can't, then someone spent a high draft pick on a kid not ready (or wanting) to be a professional.

It's a gamble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast