Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Mayock says it would be a mistake to move Curry

He said on a radio interview with WJR (Detroit) that it would be a mistake if Curry is moved to MLB. He thinks he would excel at the SAM for many years. Here's the full article:

Mayock: Lions should avoid drafting Matt Stafford
    by Tom Kowalski
    Monday March 09, 2009, 7:54 PM

Mike Mayock, the draft analyst for NFL Network, was a guest on WJR tonight, joining hosts Ken Brown and Mike O'Hara. Here are some highlights from that interview (and the Detroit Lions fans who are hoping the team drafts Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford might be a little disappointed with Mayock's opinions):

--- Mayock said he believes that 2009 will be an average draft class without much star power in the top 10. He believes the draft is deep at outside linebacker and tight end but weak at guard and inside linebacker.

--- Mayock pointed out that of the last 11 underclassmen quarterbacks to be drafted in the first round, only two have been successful - Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rogers. Mayock pointed out a laundry list of failures - Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Alex Smith and, so far, JaMarcus Russell.

Mayock said that if the Lions make a mistake at quarterback with that pick, "they won't recover for five years.''

Mayock spoke very highly of Stafford, saying he has great arm strength and is a good athlete, but also said "There are some things about him that bother me. If I was the Lions, I'd take (Aaron) Curry or one of those left tackles (Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe).

"If you have any doubts about the kid, in my opinion, you have to pass. I told everybody last year that Matt Ryan was the guy. I have questions about the guy this year.''

--- Mayock said he sees some similarities between Stafford and Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, especially arm strength, but he sees one big difference. Mayock said Cutler played for a "horrible'' Vanderbilt team but always had his team in a position to win. Stafford, meanwhile, played with two elite receivers and an NFL-caliber running back and "sometimes he looked like Superman and sometimes he looked average ... I say 'Why?'''

--- Brown and O'Hara brought up the possibility that if the Lions drafted Curry, they might move him to middle linebacker but Mayock immediately shot that down. Mayock said Curry is the prototype SAM linebacker and shouldn't be moved.

NO LINKS
    Last edited by Nick; -03-10-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: NO LINKS!

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Mayock says it would be a mistake to move Curry

What about..... Wait he said Underclassmen....... Nevermind.......

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I hope that the Lions draft Stafford period.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I will give you an answer why on staffford. Because his offensive line STUNK and i dont care how good your skill position players are, if you dont have time to throw, you are going to have problems, especially in the sec.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

You can't blame Stafford for leaving this season because next year he would go up against the likes of Bradford (although he did leave before Bradford announced he'd go back), McCoy, Snead and Tebow. He would likely lose money if he didn't perform and fall behind some of those guys. I think if Detroit didn't have an extra pick at #20, they would find more reasons not to take him at #1. However, when they could take an OT or best defensive player available at that spot I think they are going to take him. The upside is far too great not to take him so unless they aren't sold on him at all I think they'll take him.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Why is everyone calling Vince Young a failure. I'm pretty sure his team made the playoffs in 2007. Making the playoffs in your second season in the league isn't exactly a failure. He just fell upon bad luck this season and now people think he is done.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Isn't this all kind of...uhh...besides the point of this thread being made? Lol
    Last edited by IzzyHigh1212; -03-10-2009 at 10:53 PM.

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Why is everyone calling Vince Young a failure. I'm pretty sure his team made the playoffs in 2007. Making the playoffs in your second season in the league isn't exactly a failure. He just fell upon bad luck this season and now people think he is done.
    Look at his stats and you will see why, he is not an accurate thrower and lacks the patience to let his WR's run their routes he starts to scramble and when you do that your prone to getting injured. I think alot of people called this one when he came out of college.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

so far we only have witherspoon at weakside (if hes moved) so curry could play middle or strong with the rams.