Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By lostsoul
  • 5 Post By THOLTFAN81
  • 1 Post By laram0

Thread: Mayock's Positional Rankings (Top 5)

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Mayock's Positional Rankings (Top 5)

Quarterbacks: 1) Stanford's Andrew Luck 2) Baylor's Robert Griffin III 3) Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill.

Running backs: 1) Trent Richardson 2) David Wilson 3) Lamar Miller 4) Doug Martin 5) LaMichael James.

Receivers: 1) Justin Blackmon 2) Michael Floyd 3) Kendall Wright 4) Alshon Jeffery 5) Chris Givens.

Tight ends: 1) Dwayne Allen 2) Coby Fleener 3) Orson Charles 4) Ladarius Green 5) Mike Egnew.

Offensive tackles: 1) Riley Reiff 2) Matt Kalil 3) Jonathan Martin 4) James Brown (Troy) 5) Zebrie Sanders.

Offensive guards: 1) David DeCastro 2) Peter Konz 3) Kevin Zeitler 4) Cordy Glenn 5) Kelechi Osemele.

Linebackers: 1) Courtney Upshaw 2) Luke Kuechly 3) Dont'a Hightower 4) Zach Brown 5) Vontaze Burfict.

Cornerbacks: 1) Mo Claiborne 2) Janoris Jenkins 3) Alfonzo Dennard 4) Leonard Johnson 5) Dre Kirkpatrick.

Defensive ends: 1) Quinton Coples 2) Melvin Ingram 3) Whitney Mercilus 4) Nick Perry 5) Chandler Jones.

DTs: 1) Devon Still 2) Jerel Worthy 3) Michael Brockers 4) Brandon Thompson 5(tie) Fletcher Cox & Dontari
    Poe.

Safeties: 1) Mark Barron 2) Harrison Smith 3) George Iloka 4) Markelle Martin 5(tie) Janzen Jackson & Antonio Allen.

Not sure I agree with all these rankings, and there are some interesting names off the list, but I think Mayock is the best of the draft 'experts'.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Re: Mayock's Positional Rankings (Top 5)

Riley ahead of Kalil??I would put Dre right after Claiborne also,those are just two that jumpout to me.And im not so sure about Kendall Wright ahead of Alshon, although as of late ive been reading alot of people falling in love with this kid but i dont know what for somehow he has become part of the big 3 WR's.A little questionable if you ask me.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I love Mayock, but man Reiff over Kalil? Kirkpatrick the 5th best CB? No way.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

This is the fourth person i've seen with Reiff over Kalil. Makes you wonder...
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Mayocks opinion is the one I value most above all other draft analysts.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -01-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    This is the fourth person i've seen with Reiff over Kalil. Makes you wonder...
    Same here. Kalil isnt the best Tackle in the draft in some peoples eyes, which makes it hard to imagine him as the 2nd coming of Joe Thomas.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I won't address the other positions, but I've seen Jeffery, Floyd and Wright in all combinations of 2-4. And that really is the case. If not for the huge production of Blackmon, it could very well be a take your pick of the four of them. That's why I want to trade down and grab one of the pack of three while getting more picks as well.
    I believe!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd really like to hear his critique of Kalil. Most reports I've read have stated that his phyical tools are off the chart, and his performance was strong. Some have suggested that he's still a bit raw, though. I wonder if that's Mayock's beef with him.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

This is the total sum of all the experts on Kalil - He is by far the best pass protector and is excellent at mirroring defenders. The downside to this is that he didn't face any amazing pass rushers, similar to Blackmon not facing any good cornerbacks. He is a mediocre run blocker, and had bad moments in the run game. He also doesn't have the strength to blow anyone off the line, and plays less aggressive and tenacious than the other top tackles.

Most people think his pass blocking is so good that he is still far and away the best tackle prospect. It seems Mayock likes the most balanced tackle with more strength, and tenacity. Maybe he also thinks Reiff has more athleticism or upside.

If Kalil proves he can gain strength (especially in the run game) without compromising his ability to mirror defenders he will be the best prospect on the board behind Luck. Right now he seems like the exact opposite of Jason Smith as a prospect.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd really like to hear his critique of Kalil. Most reports I've read have stated that his phyical tools are off the chart, and his performance was strong. Some have suggested that he's still a bit raw, though. I wonder if that's Mayock's beef with him.
    Mayock likes his beef well done.

I really hope we don't draft Kalil. I want a playmaker!!!!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've heard what takes him down a few pegs from elite, can't miss, etc. is his footwork. Not what it needs to be for a LT. That is a coaching fix, but certainly brings into question whether he merits a top 5 pick.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

While I'm not trying to make any prospect comparisons, the initial surprise of the Reiff/Kalil ranking by Mayock kind of reminds me of the surprise from his McCoy/Suh ranking a few years ago. Maybe he actually feels that way, but I really think sometimes these guys throw a curveball in like that just so people are talking about their rankings.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    While I'm not trying to make any prospect comparisons, the initial surprise of the Reiff/Kalil ranking by Mayock kind of reminds me of the surprise from his McCoy/Suh ranking a few years ago. Maybe he actually feels that way, but I really think sometimes these guys throw a curveball in like that just so people are talking about their rankings.
    Agreed. If it ends up being true, then they look like geniuses. If it doesn't work out in their favor, they make up reasons like poor overall team talent, bad coaching...things like that.