Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    #39 Fan Guest

Re: McCoy > Bradford?

As a huge Texas Longhorns fan, allow me to disagree.

You won't find a bigger McCoy fan than myself. Love Colt. He was also, in my opinion, the better college qb. (tho Bradford is a Heisman Winner) Doesn't matter.

Keep in mind these guys aren't getting drafted for what they did in college (or high school) it's about what you can do at the next level. (ex: Tim Tebow)

And with that in mind, this Longhorn would prefer Bradford. Fairly comfortably, on a one-to-one basis.

The huge bonus with Colt, is you get Suh at #1. The problem with that is, you could miss out on your #1 choice for QB, if someone grabs Colt first. If it were to work out though, it would be hard to argue against.

Last thing: I dont think Dilfer need worry about Sam's handling of the mental aspects of the game. Hoping that part was just a misquote or hubub
    Last edited by #39 Fan; -04-04-2010 at 09:12 AM.

#39 Fan Guest

Thumbs up Re: McCoy > Bradford?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    Since the season ended, Bradford gained 14 pounds of muscle, and has had his shoulder checked out by close to 1,000,000 doctors. Before that he was expected to be the number one last year. Its not like the media has hyped him up with nothing to back it

a good thing to keep in mind

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Listening to 101 ESPN St Louis Radio and Trent Dilfer was giving his opinion on this years QB's in the draft. He has watched every snap of Bradford, Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen. In fact he has watched all Bradford's career three times.
    He believes the Rams are making a grave mistake, if they draft Bradford.
    Colt McCoy is much the better prospect in his eyes, showing the skills, which will much better to translate to the NFL. He believes Bradford will struggle with pressure, be unable to keep plays alive, and struggle with the mental side.
    He said he is very worried for the Rams and was quite convincing with his points.
    Is anyone in the same mindset?...
    Not sure how much I agree with Dilfer, but I think he makes some good points.

I'm not sure how well Bradford is going to do with more pressure at the next level. He was relatively well protected at Oklahoma, and won't have that kind of benefit at the NFL level. I do question how well he sees backside pressure and how well he's going to feel the rush.

As for the mental aspect of the game, Bradford will be transitioning from a spread offense to a pro style offense. There's going to be some kind of adjustment, but I'm not sure I agree with Dilfer in that Bradford will struggle.

Finally, I like Colt McCoy depending on the offense you're putting him in (I think he could be successful in ours, for instance), but I wouldn't call him a better prospect than Bradford.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    Since the season ended, Bradford gained 14 pounds of muscle, and has had his shoulder checked out by close to 1,000,000 doctors. Before that he was expected to be the number one last year. Its not like the media has hyped him up with nothing to back it
    Last year's draft is different from this year's draft, so it really doesn't matter where he was projected to go last year.

For instance, Matt Leinart was expected by many to be the #1 pick to San Francisco in the 2005 draft before he returned to school. Didn't stop him from sliding in 2006 and hasn't exactly worked out for him.

I just don't see much logic in arguing for a guy because of where he was projected to go a year ago in a different class.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    but the thing is that McCoy will not last till round 2.
    I've heard rumblings of him moving up, but he doesn't fit the needs of the teams that would take him late in the 1st round, but if you have a mock that has him moving up then please send me the link I'd like to look at the possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    As a huge Texas Longhorns fan, allow me to disagree.

You won't find a bigger McCoy fan than myself. Love Colt. He was also, in my opinion, the better college qb. (tho Bradford is a Heisman Winner) Doesn't matter.

Keep in mind these guys aren't getting drafted for what they did in college (or high school) it's about what you can do at the next level. (ex: Tim Tebow)

And with that in mind, this Longhorn would prefer Bradford. Fairly comfortably, on a one-to-one basis.

The huge bonus with Colt, is you get Suh at #1. The problem with that is, you could miss out on your #1 choice for QB, if someone grabs Colt first. If it were to work out though, it would be hard to argue against.

Last thing: I dont think Dilfer need worry about Sam's handling of the mental aspects of the game. Hoping that part was just a misquote or hubub
    But that's just the thing, guys ARE drafted for what they did in college & most scouts say the best thing to do is to watch "game film" from (wait for it)....COLLEGE! Which is one of the major reason that Tebow is moving up draft board talk simply b/c he made an adjustment to his throwing motion, now all you hear about is what he did in COLLEGE & how those "intangibles" look good for a pro GM & coach who want a "winner".

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Stop this nonsense. McCoy is not Better than Bradford. This obviously hasn't even been discussed before, because its useless.

Trent Dilfer, is a moron. Trying to stir up some "excitement" or "drama" and yet we all get sucked into it.

I've never even heard anyone compare any of these other QB's like Tim Tebow, OR Colt McCoy, or even Jimmy Clausen as a "Close Runner UP" to Bradford.

thickandthin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I've heard rumblings of him moving up, but he doesn't fit the needs of the teams that would take him late in the 1st round, but if you have a mock that has him moving up then please send me the link I'd like to look at the possibilities.
    alright I sent you some.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    Ya but think about it get the #1 QB prospect and maybe the #6 or 7 best DT prospect or get the #1DT and #3 QB prospects? I think I choose the last option as we are getting the best value.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not sure how much I agree with Dilfer, but I think he makes some good points.

I'm not sure how well Bradford is going to do with more pressure at the next level. He was relatively well protected at Oklahoma, and won't have that kind of benefit at the NFL level. I do question how well he sees backside pressure and how well he's going to feel the rush.

As for the mental aspect of the game, Bradford will be transitioning from a spread offense to a pro style offense. There's going to be some kind of adjustment, but I'm not sure I agree with Dilfer in that Bradford will struggle.

Finally, I like Colt McCoy depending on the offense you're putting him in (I think he could be successful in ours, for instance), but I wouldn't call him a better prospect than Bradford.

Last year's draft is different from this year's draft, so it really doesn't matter where he was projected to go last year.

For instance, Matt Leinart was expected by many to be the #1 pick to San Francisco in the 2005 draft before he returned to school. Didn't stop him from sliding in 2006 and hasn't exactly worked out for him.

I just don't see much logic in arguing for a guy because of where he was projected to go a year ago in a different class.
    Very good points, have you or anyone else heard the interview on 101espn website? I think when you hear the actual interview it makes so much sense and is very accurate than reading a brief description of it. BtW would be great to post the link here in this thread..

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I think you could make a good case that any of these teams might be interested: Seahawks(14th), Texans, Cardinals, Vikings, Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Trent Dilfer, is a moron. Trying to stir up some "excitement" or "drama" and yet we all get sucked into it.

I've never even heard anyone compare any of these other QB's like Tim Tebow, OR Colt McCoy, or even Jimmy Clausen as a "Close Runner UP" to Bradford.
    Hard to believe anything else when you have the blinders turned on huh? You haven't heard any of it because Bradford has become the medias darling since the end of the season and blown him out of proportion. Remember b4 the offseason started or before the SuperBowl was over SUH was the consensus number one player? And I heard many analysts call Bradford in a normal draft (as he is right now, not 2008 Bradford) would be at best a #2 prospect maybe even up to a #4 or 5 prospect at QB? The media has changed things around since they have their total focus on offseason and the draft. Listen to Dilfers interview...
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-04-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Dilfer's opinion is really the exception rather than the rule and he's the only one I've heard that criticizes Bradford so harshly (some of which i don't even get, athleticism questions? intelligence questions?). I think Bradford's learning curve won't be nearly as steep as Mccoy's coming into the NFL. Bradford is accustomed to calling shots from under center while Mccoy doesn't seem to be. Bradford has a stronger arm than Mccoy and puts more zip on the ball. I think Bradford is more accurate but that is debatable (completion percentage aside). I think Bradford is simply the better overall prospect hands-down. What does Mccoy have that Bradford doesn't? I can give you a couple of things that Bradford has that Mccoy doesn't. Size, Arm Strength, experience from under center. Mccoy has more agility imo but i find it hard to find much else.

Bradford is a really good QB prospect is why he is being talked about so much. He is the news of the hour due to his status in the draft rankings, his shoulder recovery, his pro day, and the fact that people have gotten tired of Suh being the emdia darling. Called due diligence

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    Ya but think about it get the #1 QB prospect and maybe the #6 or 7 best DT prospect or get the #1DT and #3 QB prospects? I think I choose the last option as we are getting the best value.

Very good points, have you or anyone else heard the interview on 101espn website? I think when you hear the actual interview it makes so much sense and is very accurate than reading a brief description of it. BtW would be great to post the link here in this thread..

I think you could make a good case that any of these teams might be interested: Seahawks(14th), Texans, Cardinals, Vikings, Bengals.

Hard to believe anything else when you have the blinders turned on huh? You haven't heard any of it because Bradford has become the medias darling since the end of the season and blown him out of proportion. Remember b4 the offseason started or before the SuperBowl was over SUH was the consensus number one player? And I heard many analysts call Bradford in a normal draft (as he is right now, not 2008 Bradford) would be at best a #2 prospect maybe even up to a #4 or 5 prospect at QB? The media has changed things around since they have their total focus on offseason and the draft. Listen to Dilfers interview...
    I have never heard anything about this, not one thing. All i have heard about is guys like Holmgren and Shanahan say how much they like Bradford. You know, guys who actually have a job picking players and who have had a lot of success with it. Players don't always make good GMs or Scouts, hell Holt had us taking G.McCoy with the first a bunch of people would freak if that happened. Just because ONE guy says it does not mean that it all of a sudden becomes true, I have read a lot on this draft and honestly never heard anyone even mention McCoy being close to Bradfords level.

bigtiger737 Guest

I also think bradford isn't the right choice... In complete honesty I think we will spend the next decade regretting not picking suh... that said the second bradfords name is called I will be in the boy's corner............... as for the rest of the conversation.. Trent not knowing anything about what to look for in a qb is a really....bad debate, it's a 50/50 on weather Bradford or colt will be good or who will be better.. and even suh for that matter, but my gut says the 1st sentence
    Last edited by bigtiger737; -04-04-2010 at 07:43 PM.

MACD is offline Registered User

Amazing...every draft report says that McCoy is pretty well tapped out as far as upside goes, and Bradford still has great upside.

Dilfer loves to make "absolute" statements. Sometimes he's actually right.....

SLSG Guest

McCoy - 6'2 210 weak arm

Bradford - 6'4 230 good arm

SLSG Guest

Colt McCoy = Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Sam Bradford = Peyton Manning

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Ehhh, I'm still Bradford > McCoy. We need that laser-lock sniper arm over a luger pistol arm w/ great mobility. And though our O-lines average at best, it'll only get better through avoiding injuries (hopefully with the new AstroTurf in place) and I don't expect Bradford to take the first snap in opening season.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like McCoy, and I think he could have a good career in the right system. I look at him as a Jeff Garcia type of player.

Bradford, on the other hand, has a stronger arm (I don't know how anyone could watch their game films and conclude otherwise), and has a higher ceiling. I really look at Bradford's skills as being comparable to Kurt Warner's (quick release, elite accuracy).

As I've said before, if I was 100% certain that the Rams could take McCoy with the 33rd pick, I'd be fine with a Suh/C.McCoy draft. Because I am not certain he'll still be there (I have McCoy going in the late first round in my mock), I prefer (albeit by a slight margin) the option of taking Bradford and then the BPA at pick #33. I think there will be some very good options at #33, not to mention the possibility of acquiring more selections in a trade down.

As for the McCoy > Bradford notion... well, I (and about 99% of those analyzing this draft) just don't see it that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast