Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    turbofargo is offline Registered User

Re: McNabb For A 2nd?

Bill D said his philosophy is not to do quick fixes. It would be contradictory to that if we got McNabb. Would mean we would get Suh which I would be crazy happy about, but don't see it happening.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Or a trade and sign deal...
    McNabb's not doing that for Philly. At least to be sent to St. Louis.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i think people are assuming they know what they're talking about here, you don't know what a player will or won't do. i don't think this staff is going to make a deal like this unless they are pretty sure it isn't going to be a one-year thing.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Trading for McNabb would give us a savvy QB that knows Shurmur's offense inside out. Physically he's probably got at least a couple of good years left. If such a trade were consummated, it would allow us to draft Suh. I believe that our team would do better in the short term with a McNabb/Suh infusion than with Bradford and whoever we selected with our second rd pick. That said, would I trade a Laurinaitis for McNabb straight up? No ..

I guess the Rams' brain trust must weigh getting more wins in 2010 and more butts in the seats (hopefully) against building slowly with youth. The likelihood of an NFL vs players labor battle occurring after the 2010 season could impact this type of decision as well.

My first reaction to this thread was .. NO WAY! Now, after dwelling on it for a bit, I'm not so sure. However, it might not be necessary to give up our pick at the top of rd 2 if we could trade a player and say a third rounder to Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i think people are assuming they know what they're talking about here, you don't know what a player will or won't do. i don't think this staff is going to make a deal like this unless they are pretty sure it isn't going to be a one-year thing.
    It's a reasonable assumption that a QB in his early 30s who currently lacks a championship, but is still very good, would prefer playing for a team that has a good shot at winning a Super Bowl this season and beyond rather than a team that is two years away from even thinking about that.

That said, if the Eagles were willing, I'd offer our 2011 (or even better) our 2012 2nd rounder for him.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

McNabb being traded to the RAMS was mentioned briefly on Sirius NFL TALK today.

Here's what was thrown around:

RAMS get McNabb

Eagles get the 33rd pick and Atogwe.

?????

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

RAMS get McNabb

?????
    Contract negotiations with Atogwe have gone that badly, huh?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

RAMS get McNabb

?????
    Why don't we just throw in S Jax and a few 1st round picks while we're at it?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I truly doubt that the Rams would trade for McNabb before Sam Bradford's Pro Day.

I strongly question whether the Rams would give up the 33rd pick for a QB who is on the downside of his career.

I can't imagine a scenario in which the Rams would give up the 33rd pick and O.J. Atogwe for McNabb.

So, I guess what I'm saying is...

Not buying it.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Man what the hell is going on here? Do you guys realize the kind of figures that you are throwing around for an aging QB that is not our future. I cant think of a move that I would criticize this FO about so far, but giving up anything higher than a 3rd (given that we have the first selection in every round) would be crazy.

Kolb for a 2nd I would think about long and hard.

eldfan is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams Pursuing a Trade for Donovan McNabb Before the NFL Draft?

by Adam Hankins Written on March 24, 2010

Rumors are swirling that the Philadelphia Eagles are in talks to trade Donovan McNabb. Among the likely candidates for the trade is St. Louis, owner of the first pick in the upcoming draft.

If the Rams did trade for McNabb, what might be the compensation? More than likely, it would involve the Rams' second-round pick along with a player (maybe Adam Carriker?). It is highly doubtful that such a trade would involve their first-round pick.

If such a trade materialized, it would definitely change the complexion of the top of the draft.

Having McNabb at quarterback would mean the Rams would no longer consider Sam Bradford with the first pick. Instead, the Rams would probably be locked in on signing Ndamukong Suh. In McNabb and Suh, the Rams would have taken care of their two biggest needs with two very good players.

It would also have a ripple effect on every other team inside the top five or 10 picks of the first round. If Bradford is still on the board after the Rams pick, he may be scooped up by the Redskins at No. 4. Or another team might consider trading up to get him before the Redskins have the chance.

Are the Rams seriously considering a trade for McNabb? On the surface it makes sense for them.

After a terrible year in 2009, the Rams really don't want to take a risk on a rookie quarterback. This would ensure another year with minimal improvement in terms of wins, and highly drafted quarterbacks are a major risk. There are no guarantees that Bradford will turn out to be the next great quarterback.

Also, as a defensive-minded coach, Steve Spagnuolo would surely prefer Suh over Bradford. Suh seems to be the closest to a "sure thing" in the draft, and he would have an immediate impact on the Rams defense.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I truly doubt that the Rams would trade for McNabb before Sam Bradford's Pro Day.
    I disagree. If he bombs on the Pro Day, the Eagles could drive up their price knowing that the Rams are in a bit of a pickle regarding the QB position. Realistically we don't want to drop past the #3 pick, so feigning interest in Bradford to get picks out of the Redskins won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    St. Louis Rams Pursuing a Trade for Donovan McNabb Before the NFL Draft?

by Adam Hankins Written on March 24, 2010

Rumors are swirling that the Philadelphia Eagles are in talks to trade Donovan McNabb. Among the likely candidates for the trade is St. Louis, owner of the first pick in the upcoming draft.

If the Rams did trade for McNabb, what might be the compensation? More than likely, it would involve the Rams' second-round pick along with a player (maybe Adam Carriker?). It is highly doubtful that such a trade would involve their first-round pick.

If such a trade materialized, it would definitely change the complexion of the top of the draft.

Having McNabb at quarterback would mean the Rams would no longer consider Sam Bradford with the first pick. Instead, the Rams would probably be locked in on signing Ndamukong Suh. In McNabb and Suh, the Rams would have taken care of their two biggest needs with two very good players.

It would also have a ripple effect on every other team inside the top five or 10 picks of the first round. If Bradford is still on the board after the Rams pick, he may be scooped up by the Redskins at No. 4. Or another team might consider trading up to get him before the Redskins have the chance.

Are the Rams seriously considering a trade for McNabb? On the surface it makes sense for them.

After a terrible year in 2009, the Rams really don't want to take a risk on a rookie quarterback. This would ensure another year with minimal improvement in terms of wins, and highly drafted quarterbacks are a major risk. There are no guarantees that Bradford will turn out to be the next great quarterback.

Also, as a defensive-minded coach, Steve Spagnuolo would surely prefer Suh over Bradford. Suh seems to be the closest to a "sure thing" in the draft, and he would have an immediate impact on the Rams defense.
    That is a Blog entry (Bleacher Report), no?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That is a Blog entry (Bleacher Report), no?
    Correct. Credibility issues apply.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I disagree. If he bombs on the Pro Day, the Eagles could drive up their price knowing that the Rams are in a bit of a pickle regarding the QB position. Realistically we don't want to drop past the #3 pick, so feigning interest in Bradford to get picks out of the Redskins won't work.
    So your theory is that the Rams are not interested in Bradford, but are pretending to be, all so they can drive down the price of Donovan McNabb?

Please.

The Rams are clearly interested in Bradford, and they're not going to trade for McNabb and thereby make the decision TODAY that Bradford is not worth taking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast