Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LongBlood is offline Registered User

Re: McNabb to Redskins - How will this affect the draft?

My problem with Bradford pick is I feel is going to force us to take offensive players to put around him. With a team that has so many holes I don't like that road. Taking Suh allows us let the draft "fall to us" and fill much needed holes, which is why I'd still draft Suh, then trade his rights if Tampa overs us a reasonable price for the risk which we are putting the team in. With the Bradford pick, I think our offense will look much like the Bears because of our WR corps. That's why I personally favor Suh at #1, if another stud defensive player is there at the top of the 2nd round we would really start to have great young foundation on defense for the next several years.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    What this does IMO is allows us to draft Suh #1, be in talks with tampa have them draft Bradford at #3 then swap the rights.
    What's the point of that? It won't save us a dime in contract negotiations.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

IMO Bradford is locked in. The only possible team that could logically trade up to the number 1 spot is the Browns they have the picks and they have the need. I doubt that the Browns want to give up alot and that the Rams would want to move down that far.

Bradford also looses a ton of leverage because he could fall if he isn't selected by the Rams. The Redskins leaving the picture IMO helps us in pre draft negotiations and could help lock that deal up.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Possible, but not likely. With it fairly evident the Rams want Bradford, and the Lions possibly going to take Okung, it puts the Bucs in a position to draft one of the top two DTs but without giving anything up for them. Even if the Rams were to take Suh to try and push Tampa into a trade, the Bucs could be happy to just take Eric Berry at #3 if the two DTs are gone since they need safety help
    A safety at #3 through. If Berry was more of an the box kind I could see that a lot more reasonably. I just made another post about why I like Suh over Bradford btw in terms of how it would affect our drafting.

thickandthin Guest

i dont see that happening as i dont see the Bucs being unhappy if they ended up with Gerald McCoy
    But I see them being happier with Suh.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Yes, the Bucs could be happier with Suh, but they are a team with loads of holes just like the Rams, and they have a young QB they need to surround with talent. They cant afford to give up the picks or players we would require to move from 1 to 3

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i dont see that happening as i dont see the Bucs being unhappy if they ended up with Gerald McCoy
    i agree its probably unlikely to happen..but not dead..sure they wouldnt be unhappy with McCoy..but if they "in-love" with Suh then McCoy would be a disappointment...theyve got two 2nd rounders...
    i believe the Bucs are in big trouble financially tho aswell as on the football side of business with the mess the Glaziers have made of running Manchester United...if i recall correctly they were 35 mill under the cap last season and although they were almost as bad as us..they didnt spend that money to improve themselves,where as we even with an "interim" owner spent almost every dollar we were allowed to..so id say the financial side of it is a bigger hurdle than giving up the draft picks for Suh.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

A safety at #3 through. If Berry was more of an the box kind I could see that a lot more reasonably. I just made another post about why I like Suh over Bradford btw in terms of how it would affect our drafting.
    i just see them taking what falls to them rather than moving to get a particular player. Taking a safety at 3 may be high, but i dont see them trading up and Berry is decent value at 3 if they cant get someone to trade down with. Ultimately i think the Bucs take a DT at #3

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    What's the point of that? It won't save us a dime in contract negotiations.
    Holy hell. It's not about contract negotiations. Personally I love Bradford, I think he's the best QB that's came out in a while. But taking him forces our hand for the rest of the draft. There's a lot of holes on this team. It's better for us to be in a position of leverage since we have so many holes which is why Suh fits where we are.

We draft Suh, then if there's a good stud defensive players there for us at the top of round 2. Our defense looks to be in fairly good shape for the next few years where we can devote our early round picks to offensive. With Bradford we are going to have to surround him with talent on the o-side which we don't have.

If Tampa doesn't want to deal with us. We simply keep Suh and are in a great place to finish rebuilding out defense (personally, I'd deal Suh to Tampa for the rights to Bradford if we are that high on him for a 3rd round pick, to help compensate for us having to force the draft). Look, I knew that this was a possibility last year. That's why I was so high on us taking Crabtree, then going OL in the 2nd round. So when this draft happened we could have a shot at Bradford, a up and coming WR to help the the pressure off Avery and Co., and then maybe picking up another OL in the 2nd round of this draft. Management dropped the ball IMO and that's why we are in a position to have an offensive that looks like the Bears if we take Bradford because our WR is still a mess IMO.

Benjamin 100 Guest

If Rams get Bradford, it seems as if it will open up more opportunities for other teams...pretty much making the draft "better" for other teams.

Rams getting Suh or McCoy would be bold... but they're taking a gamble in hopes of getting another QB with their 33rd pick...

Tough decisions...

Benjamin 100 Guest

Holy hell. It's not about contract negotiations. Personally I love Bradford, I think he's the best QB that's came out in a while. But taking him forces our hand for the rest of the draft. There's a lot of holes on this team. It's better for us to be in a position of leverage since we have so many holes which is why Suh fits where we are.

We draft Suh, then if there's a good stud defensive players there for us at the top of round 2. Our defense looks to be in fairly good shape for the next few years where we can devote our early round picks to offensive. With Bradford we are going to have to surround him with talent on the o-side which we don't have.

If Tampa doesn't want to deal with us. We simply keep Suh and are in a great place to finish rebuilding out defense (personally, I'd deal Suh to Tampa for the rights to Bradford if we are that high on him for a 3rd round pick, to help compensate for us having to force the draft). Look, I knew that this was a possibility last year. That's why I was so high on us taking Crabtree, then going OL in the 2nd round. So when this draft happened we could have a shot at Bradford, a up and coming WR to help the the pressure off Avery and Co., and then maybe picking up another OL in the 2nd round of this draft. Management dropped the ball IMO and that's why we are in a position to have an offensive that looks like the Bears if we take Bradford because our WR is still a mess IMO.
    Rams taking Suh would definitely open up the draft for the Rams. I don't think Bradford is a QB that's a no brainier to take #1... if he has any success near a Flacco or Matt Ryan (only 2 years ago) he'd be a great pick.

He'd be a tough position with the Rams, whereas his weapons would be limited... but I guess that's a coaches job.

i just see them taking what falls to them rather than moving to get a particular player. Taking a safety at 3 may be high, but i dont see them trading up and Berry is decent value at 3 if they cant get someone to trade down with. Ultimately i think the Bucs take a DT at #3
    Then fine, we prob. go defense in round two, and have a great young core group of defensive players in Suh, Adam C., Long, James L, OJ and whoever falls to us at the top of round 2 Taylor Mays (wake up, stop dreaming). But we have a core in place. Bradford forces our hand for the rest of the draft. That's why I don't like him. If we knew Avery was going to breakout for 1,200 yards this year, then yes get Bradford. But I don't see that in Avery. We needed to get the WR first then the QB. Now we should SIT Bradford for 2-3 years, not just ONE.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    And just blow $80 million instead?

*obligatory fire Devaney statement here*

I must not understand what you mean by this. We haven't even made our selection yet, but we're "blowing" money already?

Is it because we'll be drafting this player number 1 overall? If so, I think you may have to come to grips with the fact that we're drafting first this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin 100 View Post
    If Rams get Bradford, it seems as if it will open up more opportunities for other teams...pretty much making the draft "better" for other teams.

Rams getting Suh or McCoy would be bold... but they're taking a gamble in hopes of getting another QB with their 33rd pick...

Tough decisions...
    Taking Suh is the best decision because that allows the rest of the draft to fall to us. If we don't take Bradford, personally I wouldn't touch another qb tilll round 4. I'd go defense after that, unless a miracle happens and that Georgia Tech WR is still there at 33. Build the OL or DL after that in round 3, and maybe next yr we are in a position to take the Washington QB next year with the rest of the pieces in place.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Whoh, forces our hand? Why on earth does that "force our hand". One, your assuming none of our budding receivers step up this year. Your assuming that Devaney is gonna freak out and skip out on top defensive talent at the top of thw second because he HAS to take a receiver (rookie receiver at that). Thats bullcrap and no good GM feels "forced" to go either way in a draft and he picks what he thinks is the best move for the organization. Who knows what talent falls into what round. Bya all means we aren't forced to do anything. Look at the long term implications of a great signal caller instead of this ONE draft.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast