Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LongBlood is offline Registered User

Re: McNabb to Redskins - How will this affect the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Whoh, forces our hand? Why on earth does that "force our hand". One, your assuming none of our budding receivers step up this year. Your assuming that Devaney is gonna freak out and skip out on top defensive talent at the top of thw second because he HAS to take a receiver (rookie receiver at that). Thats bullcrap and no good GM feels "forced" to go either way in a draft and he picks what he thinks is the best move for the organization. Who knows what talent falls into what round. Bya all means we aren't forced to do anything. Look at the long term implications of a great signal caller instead of this ONE draft.
    So why exactly did they draft Jason Smith last year. Cuz they were freaking out about the OT position. Come on! Be in a position of leverage. Suh opens up a lot of directions we can go the rest of the draft. Bradford doesn't. You see Cutler throwing to those Bears WR bums. Looks just like the Rams WR Corps. Sorry, but true.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I must not understand what you mean by this. We haven't even made our selection yet, but we're "blowing" money already?

Is it because we'll be drafting this player number 1 overall? If so, I think you may have to come to grips with the fact that we're drafting first this year.
    Contracts such as those are giant lead-weighted albatrosses around a franchise's neck. Front offices should try to move down if possible.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I get what he means by "force our hand." We can't go spending how ever many millions of dollars on a QB and then leave him with the mess we have on offense. If we are going to draft him #1 overall then we have to give him something to work with (TE, #1 WR, another RB, O line help) or else its a waste of money and he won't be able to live up to his contract.

That being said, I understand the point he is making but I don't necessarily agree with it. I think the FO is more than aware of our needs on both sides of the ball and I'd be shocked if they didn't try to address them. Especially with Spags being such a defensive minded guy. I can't imagine him devoting the entire draft to helping Bradford succeed without trying to improve the defense as well.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I hate the fact this happened because quite frankly I'm tired of hearing who the rams are gonna draft. I just wish it was the 22nd already cause this just made it worse. Because its still a possibility the rams aquire a different qb so this by far doesn't lock bradford in at 1.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    So why exactly did they draft Jason Smith last year. Cuz they were freaking out about the OT position. Come on! Be in a position of leverage. Suh opens up a lot of directions we can go the rest of the draft. Bradford doesn't. You see Cutler throwing to those Bears WR bums. Looks just like the Rams WR Corps. Sorry, but true.
    Nah, because he was one of the best players in the draft and at a position of need. Two different receiving corps and not the same at all. You play it by ear regardless of who you pick at one. If a Gresham falls at 33 and we pick him, its because he great value at a position of need, not because we were forced to. If a Brandon Graham falls there and hes the guy, its because he was great value and a position of need. If we draft Bradford if both Gresham and Graham fell to 33. Id go with Gresham no doubt. It greatly helps Bradford's comfortability and fills a significant void in the offense. Was i forced? No, just made a good decision based on team needs. If we draft Suh first overall, that also would not make us be inclined to go one way or another and draft the best guy on our board that fills needs. Both scenarios, we walk out smelling good.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Sooo, I guess it's a good thing I got off the Vick bandwagon when I did huh?

Cant wait to see Sam Bradford in dem horns.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

The skins must have not been happy with what they saw in Clausen. I don't think they'd use their first 2 picks on QB this year. You think the Seahawks would have any interest in Clausen? Could Clausen be in for a Brady Quinn-like draft day tumble?

LoyalRam is offline Registered User

Maybe I am just being too optimistic, but now that Redskins won't be drafting a QB in the 1st round due to the trade for McNabb, doesn't that mean a QB will get bumped into the 2nd round? Wound't that be the reason we draft Suh in the 1st and hope for a slide at QB?

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalRam View Post
    Maybe I am just being too optimistic, but now that Redskins won't be drafting a QB in the 1st round due to the trade for McNabb, doesn't that mean a QB will get bumped into the 2nd round? Wound't that be the reason we draft Suh in the 1st and hope for a slide at QB?
    Thats a little too optimistic for my tastes, with Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Minnesota all being teams who could potentially be interested in taking a QB.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Does anyone think if we draft Suh, then if Bradford falls to five at the Chiefs pick, that they would be willing to give us one of their two second rounders and a conditional pick for Suh? Then we get Bradford and another pick in the 2nd. Might be too risky, a team could trade up and grab King Sam then we would potentially be "stuck" with Suh. Not a bad position to be in suppose

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

This means SAM BRADFORD IS TEH GLORIOUS FRANCHISE QB.
    Unless DeSpags have Suh in mind or if he demands a contract more ridiculous than Eli Manning, which I doubt he will seeing that he doesn't seem so full of himself.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

The biggest ripple effect of the McNabb trade is the negoitiating power gained by the Rams. I am NOT an advocate of drafting Braddford (the spread offense and less than stellar pocket presense doesnt bode well at this level)... But if we are leaning towards drafting him, we need to get him at a less than 80mill tag. If we dont draft him he falls at least 5 slots, and he needs to understand that if we secure him as the person we are going to pick at #1. The past has shown it is best to have the #1 pick locked in on draft day to insure these negoitiations dont drag out because the power pendulum swings to the agent/player after their name is called. And the last thing you want as a team is a rookie 'frachise' holding out missing otas and potentially some training camp (see J Russell debacle). Then your pick and money spent truly have diminishing returns going into the season.

I have to agree with the drafting Suh card. It puts us with all the power for day one and day two. IMO drafting Braddford sets the team back (how do you fall from the least amount of wins in the league?). The difference with the last 3 rookies to be succesful were the team they had around them. Atlanta got M. Turner and had a decent recieving core with R. White. The Jets had a GREAT oline and reinforced that wr core with a midseason trade. Baltimore had a great defense and really didnt ask the qb position to do anything except NOT lose games. Humm...we have mediocre wr core...improving but less than steller o-line and alittle better than average defense...and we a going to put a rookie in that situation.....if we do, we are sure to be having this discussion next April.

If we draft Suh, we increase the focus on our coaches strength...DEFENSE. isnt that why we hired him? SUH, Carriker, Long, Little, MLB J. Animal(Tuck, Strahand, Robbins , Umenioyra MLB - Peirce)
    See where im headed. That team dominated with that front 4. Cant even remember other than Pierce who else played defense. We have a chance to head in that direction. Couple that with the opportunity to get some off wr help in round 2. Braddford falling will certainly have teams jumping on qbs they thought wouldnt be there which will have other positions (wr) falling.

Every day, the Bradford draft scenario gets more reinforced. I'm not happy about it, but looks like its the inevitable. Just a question. Anybody think Clausen is better than Bradford. Saw some tape and really saw him going from under center and through progressions like a true NFL qb (Charlie W. training). Never saw a tape of Bradford doing much on progressions, just lock, load and fire from the spread. Just sayin.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If we draft Bradford, and we decide to acquire more offensive players through the draft, it's because we want to fill a hole, not because we are forced too.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont understand the reference to the rams front office being "outmanuevered" in what sense were we outmanuevered. The best you can say is that the redskins didnt want to pay the rams price to get up to take bradford, and decided that they would rather trade a number 2 for mcnabb. I dont see the negative inference to the rams front office in that respect.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

atcchris is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post
    The biggest ripple effect of the McNabb trade is the negoitiating power gained by the Rams. I am NOT an advocate of drafting Braddford (the spread offense and less than stellar pocket presense doesnt bode well at this level)... But if we are leaning towards drafting him, we need to get him at a less than 80mill tag. If we dont draft him he falls at least 5 slots, and he needs to understand that if we secure him as the person we are going to pick at #1. The past has shown it is best to have the #1 pick locked in on draft day to insure these negoitiations dont drag out because the power pendulum swings to the agent/player after their name is called. And the last thing you want as a team is a rookie 'frachise' holding out missing otas and potentially some training camp (see J Russell debacle). Then your pick and money spent truly have diminishing returns going into the season.

I have to agree with the drafting Suh card. It puts us with all the power for day one and day two. IMO drafting Braddford sets the team back (how do you fall from the least amount of wins in the league?). The difference with the last 3 rookies to be succesful were the team they had around them. Atlanta got M. Turner and had a decent recieving core with R. White. The Jets had a GREAT oline and reinforced that wr core with a midseason trade. Baltimore had a great defense and really didnt ask the qb position to do anything except NOT lose games. Humm...we have mediocre wr core...improving but less than steller o-line and alittle better than average defense...and we a going to put a rookie in that situation.....if we do, we are sure to be having this discussion next April.

If we draft Suh, we increase the focus on our coaches strength...DEFENSE. isnt that why we hired him? SUH, Carriker, Long, Little, MLB J. Animal(Tuck, Strahand, Robbins , Umenioyra MLB - Peirce)
    See where im headed. That team dominated with that front 4. Cant even remember other than Pierce who else played defense. We have a chance to head in that direction. Couple that with the opportunity to get some off wr help in round 2. Braddford falling will certainly have teams jumping on qbs they thought wouldnt be there which will have other positions (wr) falling.

Every day, the Bradford draft scenario gets more reinforced. I'm not happy about it, but looks like its the inevitable. Just a question. Anybody think Clausen is better than Bradford. Saw some tape and really saw him going from under center and through progressions like a true NFL qb (Charlie W. training). Never saw a tape of Bradford doing much on progressions, just lock, load and fire from the spread. Just sayin.
    First of all, Bradford and "the spread' is a myth. Sam was under center PLENTY in the Sooners' I formation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast