Rambos is offline Registered User

McShay and Kiperís latest drafts have us taking Robinson

Greg Robinson
    St. Louis Rams (7-9) (From WAS)
    COLLEGE: Auburn
    HT: 6-5
    WT: 320
    POS: OT

Analysis: The Rams could use a tackle, with Rodger Saffold and Chris Williams scheduled to become unrestricted free agents and Jake Long suffering a torn ACL and MCL toward the end of the 2013 season, and Robinson is the top one on our board (he's No. 2 overall behind Clowney). Robinson has the size and strength of a road-grading right tackle, but the athleticism, length and agility to develop into a star at left tackle. He was dominant at the point of attack for Auburn this season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...-mock-draft-20
    Mel Kiper held a conference call on Thursday morning to talk about 2014 NFL Draft

Dan Kadar @MockingTheDraft
    Follow

Kiper thinks all three top offensive tackles go in the top 11. He has Robinson No. 2 to St. Louis.

Kiper thinks Jake Matthews may be slipping a bit because some teams view him as a right tackle.

Kiper said the majority of teams have it Robinson, Lewan and Matthews.

Interesting they already have Matthews slipping.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-06-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: McShay and Kiperís latest drafts have us taking Robinson

McShay has us taking Marqise Lee at 13; now I like him as a player, but I think that would be a huge reach for us

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

At this point, its Meh Kiper and Todd MehShay as far as I'm concerned.

After the Combine and Pro Days, I'll be more interested in their mocks.
    RockinRam and sosa39rams like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Whatever these guys are mocking us at-- I really am not sold on Robinson. The fact that he plays for Auburn and blocks more for a run game concerns me that we would take him at #2.

I think his run blocking skills far outshine his pass blocking skills, and thus is more suited to RT tackle as well IMO.
    RockinRam and Mikey like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Not that history always repeats itself, but I do have some concerns over taking a high-ceiling athletic OT with lack of experience in pass blocking at the #2 overall pick. See Smith, Jason. Safe picks may not be exciting, but neither is watching a DE blow past your OT and drive your QB into the turf.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Kiper said the majority of teams have it Robinson, Lewan and Matthews.
    It's so nice of the majority of teams to show Mel Kiper their draft boards in February.

Anyways, the momentum right now - following the national title game and end of the season - has Robinson moving ahead as the top tackle based mostly on upside and potential. So it's not surprising that Kiper and McShay have followed suit.

Personally, I approach this very much like I did the 2009 draft. I prefer the more polished technician (Matthews now, Monroe then), but I'm fine with the superb athlete with upside (Robinson now, Smith then).

I think Lewan is solid and could be an option at 13 but would represent a step back from both of the top tackles. I'm not sure why anyone would have him over Matthews at this point; I find that opinion rather odd, but maybe that's why I'm evaluating from home and not from an NFL film room.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-06-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's so nice of the majority of teams to show Mel Kiper their draft boards in February.
    I received them too. I'm actually kind of surprised you didn't. Maybe you should check your spam folder, or check to see if the teams have your current email address.

Anyways, the momentum right now - following the national title game and end of the season - has Robinson moving ahead as the top tackle based mostly on upside and potential. So it's not surprising that Kiper and McShay have followed suit.
    Of course, that wind is constantly shifting as Winter gives way to Spring.

I think Lewan is solid and could be an option at 13 but would represent a step back from both of the top tackles. I'm not sure why anyone would have him over Matthews at this point; I find that opinion rather odd, but maybe that's why I'm evaluating from home and not from an NFL film room.
    Some of the draft boards I've seen (you know, the ones that the teams email to me), have Zack Martin above Lewan.
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I received them too. I'm actually kind of surprised you didn't. Maybe you should check your spam folder, or check to see if the teams have your current email address.
    Nevermind, I just found them in my NFL Team Draft Boards dropbox.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Impossible! Jeff Fisher has never used a 1st round pick on an OT. And that of course means he never will.

Nuff said. Period.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Jeff Fisher also has never used a first round pick on:

A player from University of South Carolina
    A player with the the nickname "Ha Ha."
    A player who played with both a Heisman Trophy winner and the son of a former teammate.
    A player born after January 1, 1984; or
    A player who was eligible to play in the first post BCS 4 team college tournament.

Therefore....

I can cleary not choose the wine in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I can cleary not choose the wine in front of me.
    Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I will personally be surprised if we take either tackle at #2. I think if we are passing on clowney, we are trading out of that pick. It may turn out that we prefer robinson to mathews, i will defer to the experts on that (ie fisher), but given the available qb's, the teams that need them and the fact that there are two quality offensive tackles, i think we will trade back, get the best deal we can and take the best player available, which depending on how far you trade back, stands a solid chance at being either robinson or mathews in any event. I will say this much. In my humble opinion, the difference between robinson and matthews is not worth minnesota, tampa or atlanta's #2 pick this year. If they fall in love with Clowney, they can only be sure that they get him (and even that is no guarantee because maybe houston takes him although i doubt it) by picking him at #2, which is not neccesarily true of at least one of the top 2 tackles.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I will personally be surprised if we take either tackle at #2. I think if we are passing on clowney, we are trading out of that pick. It may turn out that we prefer robinson to mathews, i will defer to the experts on that (ie fisher), but given the available qb's, the teams that need them and the fact that there are two quality offensive tackles, i think we will trade back, get the best deal we can and take the best player available, which depending on how far you trade back, stands a solid chance at being either robinson or mathews in any event. I will say this much. In my humble opinion, the difference between robinson and matthews is not worth minnesota, tampa or atlanta's #2 pick this year. If they fall in love with Clowney, they can only be sure that they get him (and even that is no guarantee because maybe houston takes him although i doubt it) by picking him at #2, which is not neccesarily true of at least one of the top 2 tackles.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Exactly, I think that the Rams will take advantage of the great position they're in. With all the QB-needy teams behind them and with Clowney hopefully still available, I think they'll end up trading down to a spot where they can still draft either Matthews or Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I will personally be surprised if we take either tackle at #2. I think if we are passing on clowney, we are trading out of that pick.
    I think most people expect the Rams to trade out of that pick. It's just tough to make a decent mock with trades, so even though they're bound to happen, most just stick to the standard order to keep from opening that can of worms.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick, i agree completely that trades are really hard to predict. I will point out that in my view, the point of a mock draft is to best approximate which players will be taken by what team and in what order, and therefore, not projecting trades, especially realistic trades, effectively makes the mock less likely to be accurate. Speculative, absolutely, and that is part of the fun.

Bottom line. Rams either (i) get overwhelmed with an offer they cant refuse, in which case they will take the offer, (ii) fall in love with clowney, get an offer, but not one good enough for them to pass on clowney in their view and go ahead and take clowney, or (iii) dont fall in love with clowney and get the best trade they can get under the circumstances to move back a bit a get value (probably an offensive tackle and then picking up another pick or two).

I dont think its a lock that the Rams trade the pick. I think its close to a lock that if they pick in the spot, the pick will be clowney, not an offensive tackle or anything else because the other stuff can be selected after a trade back which results in more picks.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast