Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: McShay: Rams interested in moving up to pick #9 to get Julio Jones

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: McShay: Rams interested in moving up to pick #9 to get Julio Jones

If the deal happens it will be a Deavaney type deal.

Remember the Laurant Robinson and Adam Carriker trade?

We will keep the same number of draft picks just move back in the later rounds

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I actually watched this segment - it was on NFL Live at the beginning of the broadcast.

It's not actually news: McShay was just speculating that the Rams could move up to number 9 and that it would make sense for the Cowboys to move back to 14. They could roughly get the same value at 14 on an OT than they could at 9. It was all speculation, and, not wanting to sound unqualified, McShay said that there were 'rumblings' that the Rams could be interested in moving up.

Technically, he's correct. There have been plenty of 'rumblings' on this board that it would be a quality idea for the Rams to move on up.
    xtrachilldowt likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The thing is, no trade will happen now. These trades only go down on draft day. They might start talks on a conditional trade, such as talking to Dallas at 9 and saying if Julio Jones is there when you are going to pick, we will give you this to move up to your spot

However, there have also been rumours coming out of Washington that the Skins want to trade DOWN in the first round and are targeting QB Christian Ponder

So right now we arent going to know anything

The only thing i can recommend to Rams fans is to not get your heart set on one player, rather just enjoy the draft and if you want to get your heart set on anything, make it a position. For example, if the Rams first rounder is a WR, DE, or DT, i will be happy!

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

The only thing i can recommend to Rams fans is to not get your heart set on one player, rather just enjoy the draft and if you want to get your heart set on anything, make it a position. For example, if the Rams first rounder is a WR, DE, or DT, i will be happy!
    Precisely, tomahawk! we're going to get an outstanding football player because we have smart folks conducting our draft. Whomever it is I think we'll be a better team and frankly, I'm believing that the team will address the WR matter via Free Agency as Julio Jones or AJ Green is not likely to be there at 14. We have other needs to fill and "emptying the cupboard" via a trade to get these players is the type of move I don't see Devaney making as its rife with risk if the player gets hurt. I eagerly await the 28th, 29th & 30th to see who will add value to our team.

Go Rams!

itsguud is offline Registered User

At this point I would much rather see the Rams trade back than trade up. We still have a number of holes that need to be filled on the roster and without know what FA will bring prior to the draft I think it is important here to increase our draft potential with more picks not decrease hoping for one good player.

thoey is offline Registered User

The way I see it, we have too many holes to fill in one draft / free agency period. We are a young team that is rebuilding. If we were to draft a stud WR like Jones and then fill in a couple more holes, we could probably take the West, but it's not like we are going to be a true SB contender. Get the stud WR receiver and a couple other spots this season. Develop them and the team improves. Then, next season, when we fill in some more of the holes, we could be the team everyone is scared of.

Rome wasn't built in a day...
    This space for rent...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld
    The price to move from No. 14 to No. 9 would be at least a 2011 third-round pick, and St. Louis has one of the NFL's weakest rosters. That third-rounder they'd be giving up would probably be a Week 1 starter.
    Or it could be a Jerome Murphy.

The Rams haven't exactly been striking oil in the third round the last couple of years, except Fletcher I guess. So I don't think it's blasphemy to suggest trading it. You just have to determine if the guy you're moving up to get is going to make that big of a difference on your team, and you've got to be as sure as you can that he's not going to bust out. If the Rams believe Jones is that guy, then make the move. If they're not convinced, then hold off.

Ultimately, when trading up or trading down, you've just got to be thorough in your evaluations. Some say they're prefer trading down to up, but trading down didn't exactly do this team any favors in 2006. Regardless of which direction you're moving, you need to be doing it for the right reasons and because the time you've spent analyzing these players has led you to the belief that it's the best move for your team.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

the way i see it..trade up is the option for Jones
    stay pat will be Aldon Smith
    and trade down a few spots then Corey Luiget comes into play..or maybe Wilkerson depending how far back they would go.
    i think Billy D would prefer to trade down.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I don't think we'll trade up, but this certainly would be the year it could potentially happen. Billy D has said in the past that they sweated it out before they took Laurinaitis and actually thought about trading back into the 1st round to take him. They obviously didn't because draft picks were so valuable for the rebuilding process, so I still feel that although they really want Jones it wouldn't be the end of the world if they didn't get him.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I don't think we'll trade up, but this certainly would be the year it could potentially happen. Billy D has said in the past that they sweated it out before they took Laurinaitis and actually thought about trading back into the 1st round to take him. They obviously didn't because draft picks were so valuable for the rebuilding process, so I still feel that although they really want Jones it wouldn't be the end of the world if they didn't get him.
    The circumstances are somewhat different this time around being as we have Bradford at the helm. As Nick stated earlier, if Billy and crew having done their due diligence really believe Julio will be a game changer, they will make the move. Problem for us is we won't have a clue until draft day .. Until then it will be all smoke and mirrors from all 32 teams ..

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

I don't think it will happen because getting to #9 won't get us Julio Jones because my instincts tell me Cleveland will take him at #6. Plus I'd hate giving up a 3rd round pick when we have plenty of needs to fill. We'll get a Day 1 starter at #14. Let's not forget our schedule this year will be very tough, NFC East and AFC North, I predict Spags wants a tough in the trenches type player on defense. Jones would be nice but the price will be quite high.

Go Rams!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I guess my question is if we end up with another second round receiver that takes awhile to have any sort of impact and we desperately need a true #1 again next year what do we do? Not taking one worries me greatly. We can't play this the same way we've played getting a backup for Jackson for three years.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I don't beleive it will take a third round pick to move up. One thing we know for certain is that Billy is very creative when trading. I could see a situation where we trade our 1st, 4th, and 5th, for the Boys' 1st, 5th, and 6th.

This is based on the fact that many of the Cowboys targets will most likely be there at 14; JJ Watt, Cameron Jordon, or Tyron Smith and we would basically be stealing from their division rival.

Of course this is all irrelevant if Julio is gone at nine.

Bold Prediction: AJ Green, for one reason or another, will fall farther than Jones, and be there at 9 for the Rams to trade up to get.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

My goodness how the plot thickens days before the draft!!

It's very important for us to remember that we cannot fill all needs in this draft. To me I think its best for us to target those that will make the biggest impact for week1. This lockout madness is very absurd...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

We let Washington have Atogwe. They owe us. I'd deal the third rounder to get Jones-we need offensive firepower desperately if we're planning on winning more than 4 or 5 games this season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast