Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    npow81's Avatar
    npow81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    9

    For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    After seeing everybody play in Mobile, and keeping everything in mind (estimated draft position, etc.) if we are to draft a qb in this draft I think it comes down to three players.

    Colt McCoy
    Tony Pike
    Dan Lefevour

    I know the Clausen and Bradford supporters might come out and state their case, but I honestly don't think the value of either supercedes (1) taking the BPA at #1 (or even at #3 as some want), which they certainly are not (2) the difference in ability from the three above players.

    Personally, while I wouldn't be disappointed seeing us draft McCoy at the top of the second, if he's there, again I think the same principle as above comes into play in the second and there is too little difference in value between McCoy and Pike and Lefevour to bypass the bevy of talent likely available at that slot.

    Therefore, hoping (and praying) either Pike or Lefevour is available in the third I take the remaining qb in the third and I think we have our qb of the future. Either of which I would be plenty happy with. As always, its a roll of the dice drafting a qb, but I think this situation will maximize value while minimizing the risk associated with drafting a qb and allowing us to fulfill other important holes along the way.
    Last edited by npow81; -01-31-2010 at 06:36 AM.


  2. #2
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,664
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Im really liking what im seeing from Pike and LeFevour at the moment. But if they keep getting better and with a lack of QB talent in the draft they could end up as second rounders. It really depends where Bradford and Clausen end up going on draft day

  3. #3
    npow81's Avatar
    npow81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Agreed, unfortunately that is a possibility. While I don't like to talk trading picks (because its way too speculative at this point) the way the draft is set up this year (second round occurs on day two) might help us this year and in this situation.

    I think more likely than not after teams have a chance to reset their boards after the first round there will be a few teams with offers in to us before round 2 even begins to get a few players that have slipped past round one. If its looking like both of these two don't make it to the third it might be possible to trade down 10-15 slots, pick up another pick, and draft one of them later in the round.

    Frankly, I see at least one of Bradford Clausen slipping to late one, which should push things back a bit, hopefully some bonehead team will take Tebow before Pike and Lefevour further pushing back the slot these two are taken.

  4. #4
    sntlouisrams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK baby :D
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    For me watching Dan Lefevour was immense yesterday making some very very good throws right on the money but then saying this, Jarrett Brown also made some good throws but looked alittle raw but with good coaching he could turn out to be quite a find I reckon. He got his passes out very quickly and atleast when he got his footing set he was very acurate.

  5. #5
    SJacks039's Avatar
    SJacks039 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ILLinios
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    I agree about jarret brown. Could be a diamond in the rough. Or jamarcus russel just not taken first overall. I think he is in better shape than chubs russel. And i think he has a big strong arm. Not sure if he can make the throws He has very little experience as a starter. Which either means hes not very good or we have yet to see his best. Id guess hes a 5th rounder? i dont know i could be wrong.I would take a chance.

  6. #6
    The Optimistic Lamb's Avatar
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    The star Qb of the senior bowl was Zac Robinson. Hands down. Aside from the fumble, he was awesome. Theres a lot of potential, but I dnt think we need another project Qb. We got Null. So I dnt entertain the thought of picking a Qb in the later rounds.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -02-01-2010 at 05:13 PM.

  7. #7
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,340
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    I agree about jarret brown. Could be a diamond in the rough. Or jamarcus russel just not taken first overall. I think he is in better shape than chubs russel. And i think he has a big strong arm. Not sure if he can make the throws He has very little experience as a starter. Which either means hes not very good or we have yet to see his best. Id guess hes a 5th rounder? i dont know i could be wrong.I would take a chance.
    Brown can make all the NFL throws. He has a cannon for an arm and the accuracy, though a bit inconsistent, is there. The reason he only had one year of starting experience here at WVU is because he was sitting behind Pat White.

  8. #8
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    After seeing everybody play in Mobile, and keeping everything in mind (estimated draft position, etc.) if we are to draft a qb in this draft I think it comes down to three players.

    Colt McCoy
    Tony Pike
    Dan Lefevour

    I know the Clausen and Bradford supporters might come out and state their case, but I honestly don't think the value of either supercedes (1) taking the BPA at #1 (or even at #3 as some want), which they certainly are not (2) the difference in ability from the three above players.

    Personally, while I wouldn't be disappointed seeing us draft McCoy at the top of the second, if he's there, again I think the same principle as above comes into play in the second and there is too little difference in value between McCoy and Pike and Lefevour to bypass the bevy of talent likely available at that slot.

    Therefore, hoping (and praying) either Pike or Lefevour is available in the third I take the remaining qb in the third and I think we have our qb of the future. Either of which I would be plenty happy with. As always, its a roll of the dice drafting a qb, but I think this situation will maximize value while minimizing the risk associated with drafting a qb and allowing us to fulfill other important holes along the way.
    I think that there are significant differences between these guys, not just in terms of some quantitatively ranked draft value but also qualitatively. For example, Tony Pike rushed for 128 yards in college. Dan LeFevour rushed for 128 yards in the Bowling Green game last year, and it wasn't even his highest total of the season. We're talking about two very different players even if they might go around the same time in the draft.

    McCoy is interesting because he makes plays on his feet but still completes 70% of his passes--which is ridiculous--but there are questions about the system he played in. I get the feeling he'll either transition well into the NFL and be a star, or he won't and will wash out.

  9. #9
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    To me if your not taking Claussen or Bradford in this draft the best value you are going to get by drafting a QB is in the third round. I like Jarrett Brown all the tools ton of upside, but he is inexperienced. Tony Pike might also be available at the top of the 3rd so they are both better option IMO instead of Colt McCoy at the top of the second.

    This draft is stacked with talented receivers and TE's that's the position im looking at regardless of what we do in the first.

  10. #10
    npow81's Avatar
    npow81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think that there are significant differences between these guys, not just in terms of some quantitatively ranked draft value but also qualitatively. For example, Tony Pike rushed for 128 yards in college. Dan LeFevour rushed for 128 yards in the Bowling Green game last year, and it wasn't even his highest total of the season. We're talking about two very different players even if they might go around the same time in the draft.

    McCoy is interesting because he makes plays on his feet but still completes 70% of his passes--which is ridiculous--but there are questions about the system he played in. I get the feeling he'll either transition well into the NFL and be a star, or he won't and will wash out.
    There's no question the Pike and Lefevour are different types of qbs. Although, I don't think Lefevour's legs do anything in the NFL besides provide a little scrambling ability (i.e. Aaron Rodgers). Overall, at this point I do think there value from their various strengths equals out. I would say that Lefevour is a bit more accurate and probably a better reader of defenses (along with the mobility). Pike on the other hand has that rocket arm that everyone is looking for and that is the great equalizer, it also makes it that he probably has a much higher ceiling if he can become more consistent and a little bit more intelligent on the field over time.

    As for Brown, I don't see it, although when I judge a qb I rely alot on just the plain ol' eyeball test (combined with productivity in college), so I can't say what exactly I don't like about him...but that is just my two cents.

  11. #11
    molar_pistol is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    az
    Posts
    938
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    mccoy is extremely risky, he's a hard worker and all but he's got a ways to go, the red flags about being a system guy are legit. i don't think i'd take him in the second, i'd rather see who falls to the 3rd.

  12. #12
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,700
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Personally prefer Lefevour as a solid franchise QB over McCoy and Pike. McCoy is groomable because has accuracy and the other tools, Pike worries me because he will need to add weight for the NFL and we don't know how that will affect his throwing or other mechanics. I also want to add the thought of injury-free to this thread. Lefevour appears to be the most resilient of the group. Let's not forget the fact that Marc Bulger has been out for a slew of games the past few years. What good is a franchise QB on IR?

    I also think if the Rams REALLY feel Lefevour or any of these guys is the REAL DEAL then squeeze the trigger whenever you feel you need to make the move.

    Go Rams w/Lefevour!

  13. #13
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,340
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    I would say that Lefevour is a bit more accurate and probably a better reader of defenses (along with the mobility). Pike on the other hand has that rocket arm that everyone is looking for and that is the great equalizer, it also makes it that he probably has a much higher ceiling if he can become more consistent and a little bit more intelligent on the field over time.
    Tony Pike does not have a rocket arm, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    As for Brown, I don't see it, although when I judge a qb I rely alot on just the plain ol' eyeball test (combined with productivity in college), so I can't say what exactly I don't like about him...but that is just my two cents.
    If you figure out what it is, I'd be interested in hearing it. The only thing I think is working against him is his inconsistency this season. Otherwise, I think he has a very good set of physical tools, and if he could put them together under the guidance of a proper NFL QB coach, he could be a pretty solid player.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  14. #14
    npow81's Avatar
    npow81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Tony Pike does not have a rocket arm, IMO.



    If you figure out what it is, I'd be interested in hearing it. The only thing I think is working against him is his inconsistency this season. Otherwise, I think he has a very good set of physical tools, and if he could put them together under the guidance of a proper NFL QB coach, he could be a pretty solid player.
    I guess rocket arm should probably be reserved for truly elite arms, but I do believe his arm strength is above average (you were in Mobile you would know better so I'll defer to you).

    As for Jarret Brown I know I'd be a terrible GM trying to explain what it is, my feeling on him is purely instinctual and that probably isn't the place for a discussion board. However, what always sticks out in my mind with him is the previous years when Pat White would go down mid-game, and he couldn't produce a victory for WVU (although you would probably know more than me about him, just as I might know a bit more about the draft prospects of Kyle Wilson from BSU). Albeit, that's a tough situation, and he ultimately is inexperienced so maybe that is not fair.

    I guess everybody has there hunches and although I can provide an in-depth analytical assessment of him (nor have I watched him enough to really know for sure), something about him tells me he doesn't have "it". Fair or not that's my feeling.

    You are undoubtedly right that he has the physical tools, and could be successful in the right situation with the right instruction. However, (1) that's a slippery slope(qbs taken on this premise seem to me to be highly unsuccessful), and (2) I'm not sure if the Rams are the right situation for a developmental qb (not that they all aren't but Brown would be more of a project).

    I guess I see Pike or Lefevour being able to play and be moderately successful from at worst the start of the 2011 season. I see Brown as taking a great deal more time. Ultimately, I think we need to develop a plan to have people in place by that time.
    Last edited by npow81; -02-01-2010 at 02:43 PM.

  15. #15
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,340
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: For Me...Its Down to Three QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    I guess rocket arm should probably be reserved for truly elite arms, but I do believe his arm strength is above average (you were in Mobile you would know better so I'll defer to you).
    I was not at the Senior Bowl, but I've watched Pike quite a bit in the Big East. I would agree his arm strength is somewhere from average to above average, but I agree, I would probably only refer to those with elite arm strength as having a rocket arm.

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    As for Jarret Brown I know I'd be a terrible GM trying to explain what it is, my feeling on him is purely instinctual and that probably isn't the place for a discussion board. However, what always sticks out in my mind with him is the previous years when Pat White would go down mid-game, and he couldn't produce a victory for WVU (although you would probably know more than me about him, just as I might know a bit more about the draft prospects of Kyle Wilson from BSU). Albeit, that's a tough situation, and he ultimately is inexperienced so maybe that is not fair.
    I understand having difficulty putting your finger on what it is you don't like about a guy, or just not having a great feeling about a prospect for some reason, but your analysis that Brown wasn't able to win for WVU simply isn't very accurate. Ignoring the eight wins (nine if you count Marshall, but I don't) he helped the team accumulate as a first year starter this season, Brown helped WVU win against Syracuse and Rutgers in 2008 in relief of White. He also quarterbacked the 2006 team in their final regular season game of the year, a great overtime win against Rutgers.

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    You are undoubtedly right that he has the physical tools, and could be successful in the right situation with the right instruction. However, (1) that's a slippery slope(qbs taken on this premise seem to me to be highly unsuccessful), and (2) I'm not sure if the Rams are the right situation for a developmental qb (not that they all aren't but Brown would be more of a project).

    I guess I see Pike or Lefevour being able to play and be moderately successful from at worst the start of the 2011 season. I see Brown as taking a great deal more time. Ultimately, I think we need to develop a plan to have people in place by that time.
    (1) That's generally why teams wouldn't spend high picks on them, and I wouldn't advocate spending a high pick on Brown.

    (2) Maybe, maybe not. If the Rams find a veteran stop gap who can be effective enough for 2-3 years while Brown develops, it could work out. I don't necessarily think that a veteran stopgap has to only be a one year solution.

    That being said, I would agree that Pike or LeFevour are better options, and I would project them as going higher than Brown. But I do think Brown could be successful in this league if brought about appropriately because of the physical tools he already has.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •