Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By fearsome foursome
  • 1 Post By turbofargo

Thread: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

Just saw something over on espn where Merril Hoge broke down some play of Johnny Manziel. Had some not nice words about the kid, in fact said there could be serious bust potential. He made some good points showing a couple "tape" plays.

If teams tend to agree is that is going to effect chances to trade, more or less. If Houston takes Bortles, teams are weary of a bad pro day by Bridgewater, and watch clips like the one mentioned that teams might scramble to get the other players, Watkins, the OTs, Mack and Clowney.

Interesting watch, I know we can't post links, but the clip is from sportscenter. Its the second clip right now if you go to the vid section.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

I find Merril can be a very harsh critic of many players, I have seen shows where the co-hosts even call him on it. That being said all QB's coming out have bust potential some more than others obviously but they all have the bust it factor till they prove that they can make a go of it and have all the intangibles it takes to compete and win at the position. Even go so far as to say it about all these young men coming out many sure fire atheletes go down in the first two years and never get back into the show... Personally I think Johnny Football has the skills and I believe the head for making a go of it. If he does not trip over the bright lights on his way to the stage!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    That being said all QB's coming out have bust potential some more than others obviously but they all have the bust it factor till they prove that they can make a go of it and have all the intangibles it takes to compete and win at the position.
    Agreed. Greg Robinson has played 2 years of offensive tackle in his entire life in a run focused offense. Talk about complete bust potential.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

The guys at NFL Network actually had the Rams taking Manziel at 13. I don't believe that could happen. If it did I may have to be put on suicide watch.
    DE_Ramfan, citr92 and Randart like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

says one of the best running backs the Steelers ever had.
    Last edited by punahou; -03-20-2014 at 03:48 PM.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I find Merril can be a very harsh critic of many players, I have seen shows where the co-hosts even call him on it. That being said all QB's coming out have bust potential some more than others obviously but they all have the bust it factor till they prove that they can make a go of it and have all the intangibles it takes to compete and win at the position. Even go so far as to say it about all these young men coming out many sure fire atheletes go down in the first two years and never get back into the show... Personally I think Johnny Football has the skills and I believe the head for making a go of it. If he does not trip over the bright lights on his way to the stage!
    Did you watch the clip? Do you think he was being overly critical then or just a general comment? Not attacking, just curious to what others see that I may not. I thought he made some valid pts, but my eyes might not be seeing the bigger picture.

Gruden has one of his QB class shows with Manziel I haven't seen it yet but interested to get a vibe on his personality talking with a guy who, does baby QBs in the show but also knows BS when he hears it.

Anyway, I was more curious to see a different point of view on the clips.
    Randart likes this.

MACD is offline Registered User

Not any harsher than he was on Clowney. I think he dropped Javedededina 10 picks with his withering analysis. As big a bust as Manziel will be. I wish all the Clowney love on this board would just dry up.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    Did you watch the clip? Do you think he was being overly critical then or just a general comment? Not attacking, just curious to what others see that I may not. I thought he made some valid pts, but my eyes might not be seeing the bigger picture.

Gruden has one of his QB class shows with Manziel I haven't seen it yet but interested to get a vibe on his personality talking with a guy who, does baby QBs in the show but also knows BS when he hears it.

Anyway, I was more curious to see a different point of view on the clips.
    No man I missed that show but seen Hogey many times on air and liked his shows to be be honest just took what he said with a grain as far as being hyper critical. He does seem a bit more lenient of Steelers but that is my impression. I think he finds Johnny to wild and not stout enough in his view of a player. This is my take on Johnny he is the closest thing to Francis Tarkenington I have ever seen in all these years. BTW Tark used to kill the Rams regularly as a point of fact so I always admired his play even when he was killing us! So my opinion was strictly based on glittering generalities my fave way to go! LOL

And just for fun and games would love for us to get Johnny football, just to put fearsome foursome on the suicide hot line watch!

Last edited by Randart; -03-20-2014 at 09:59 PM.