Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By fearsome foursome
  • 1 Post By turbofargo

Thread: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

  1. #1
    turbofargo's Avatar
    turbofargo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    8

    Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

    Just saw something over on espn where Merril Hoge broke down some play of Johnny Manziel. Had some not nice words about the kid, in fact said there could be serious bust potential. He made some good points showing a couple "tape" plays.

    If teams tend to agree is that is going to effect chances to trade, more or less. If Houston takes Bortles, teams are weary of a bad pro day by Bridgewater, and watch clips like the one mentioned that teams might scramble to get the other players, Watkins, the OTs, Mack and Clowney.

    Interesting watch, I know we can't post links, but the clip is from sportscenter. Its the second clip right now if you go to the vid section.


  2. #2
    Randart's Avatar
    Randart is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    590
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

    I find Merril can be a very harsh critic of many players, I have seen shows where the co-hosts even call him on it. That being said all QB's coming out have bust potential some more than others obviously but they all have the bust it factor till they prove that they can make a go of it and have all the intangibles it takes to compete and win at the position. Even go so far as to say it about all these young men coming out many sure fire atheletes go down in the first two years and never get back into the show... Personally I think Johnny Football has the skills and I believe the head for making a go of it. If he does not trip over the bright lights on his way to the stage!

  3. #3
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,387
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

    Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    That being said all QB's coming out have bust potential some more than others obviously but they all have the bust it factor till they prove that they can make a go of it and have all the intangibles it takes to compete and win at the position.
    Agreed. Greg Robinson has played 2 years of offensive tackle in his entire life in a run focused offense. Talk about complete bust potential.

  4. #4
    fearsome foursome is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

    The guys at NFL Network actually had the Rams taking Manziel at 13. I don't believe that could happen. If it did I may have to be put on suicide watch.
    DE_Ramfan, citr92 and Randart like this.

  5. #5
    punahou's Avatar
    punahou is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    HAWAII
    Posts
    671
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

    says one of the best running backs the Steelers ever had.
    Last edited by punahou; -03-20-2014 at 03:48 PM.

  6. #6
    turbofargo's Avatar
    turbofargo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

    Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I find Merril can be a very harsh critic of many players, I have seen shows where the co-hosts even call him on it. That being said all QB's coming out have bust potential some more than others obviously but they all have the bust it factor till they prove that they can make a go of it and have all the intangibles it takes to compete and win at the position. Even go so far as to say it about all these young men coming out many sure fire atheletes go down in the first two years and never get back into the show... Personally I think Johnny Football has the skills and I believe the head for making a go of it. If he does not trip over the bright lights on his way to the stage!
    Did you watch the clip? Do you think he was being overly critical then or just a general comment? Not attacking, just curious to what others see that I may not. I thought he made some valid pts, but my eyes might not be seeing the bigger picture.

    Gruden has one of his QB class shows with Manziel I haven't seen it yet but interested to get a vibe on his personality talking with a guy who, does baby QBs in the show but also knows BS when he hears it.

    Anyway, I was more curious to see a different point of view on the clips.
    Randart likes this.

  7. #7
    MACD is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    586
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

    Not any harsher than he was on Clowney. I think he dropped Javedededina 10 picks with his withering analysis. As big a bust as Manziel will be. I wish all the Clowney love on this board would just dry up.

  8. #8
    Randart's Avatar
    Randart is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    590
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Merril Hoge not liking Johnny Manziel

    Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    Did you watch the clip? Do you think he was being overly critical then or just a general comment? Not attacking, just curious to what others see that I may not. I thought he made some valid pts, but my eyes might not be seeing the bigger picture.

    Gruden has one of his QB class shows with Manziel I haven't seen it yet but interested to get a vibe on his personality talking with a guy who, does baby QBs in the show but also knows BS when he hears it.

    Anyway, I was more curious to see a different point of view on the clips.
    No man I missed that show but seen Hogey many times on air and liked his shows to be be honest just took what he said with a grain as far as being hyper critical. He does seem a bit more lenient of Steelers but that is my impression. I think he finds Johnny to wild and not stout enough in his view of a player. This is my take on Johnny he is the closest thing to Francis Tarkenington I have ever seen in all these years. BTW Tark used to kill the Rams regularly as a point of fact so I always admired his play even when he was killing us! So my opinion was strictly based on glittering generalities my fave way to go! LOL

    And just for fun and games would love for us to get Johnny football, just to put fearsome foursome on the suicide hot line watch!

    Last edited by Randart; -03-20-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Johnny Manziel dares Texans to pass on him
    By Rambos in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -02-17-2014, 05:12 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: -01-18-2014, 10:38 AM
  3. Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel enters NFL draft
    By Rambos in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -01-10-2014, 12:09 AM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last Post: -01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: -01-02-2014, 07:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •