Varg6 is offline Registered User

Miami's first pick: Chris Long?

Hypathetically if the Dolphins pick Chris Long with the 1st pick of the draft...Where do we go from there? I really hope this doesn't happen, but I can't really be truly satisfied with any other player with our 2nd pick. Do we trade up and get more picks or what? Nick, fill me in bud.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Miami's first pick: Chris Long?

This is the one thing I'm worried about. I think Ellis or Gholston would be our next choice...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think Nick and I agree that Jake Long will be taken. It is simply to hard to trade our pick with the huge bonuses players get. Long has really impressed people inside the ram organization an he has been a beast this week. Vernon Gholsotn might sneak up he supposedly tied Jake Long with 37 reps which is crazy. Im just afraid he might be on the juice and im not talking about orange juice.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I don't think Gholston is really a serious consideration. I know tons of people on this board are really big on him, but I have yet to see a mock draft that his him going even in the top 5, much less to the Rams.

Scouts almost universally agree that he is not an elite talent like Dorsey, Ellis, or either Long. Obviously Gholston is the "need" pick, but IMO it's just too much value to sacrifice to grab a 2nd-tier player at #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I don't think Gholston is really a serious consideration. I know tons of people on this board are really big on him, but I have yet to see a mock draft that his him going even in the top 5, much less to the Rams.

Scouts almost universally agree that he is not an elite talent like Dorsey, Ellis, or either Long. Obviously Gholston is the "need" pick, but IMO it's just too much value to sacrifice to grab a 2nd-tier player at #2.
    Well as of now, if Long is indeed gone, who do we pick. We don't need a DT because we already have two good DT's. We don't need a OL because if our OL stays healthy, we had just wasted our first pick to sit on the bench.

I still think DE is our priority, and besides Chris Long, hes the best on the board at DE.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If we're stuck at the #2 spot, my current board looks like this...

1) Chris Long
    2) Jake Long
    3) Vernon Gholston

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Well as of now, if Long is indeed gone, who do we pick. We don't need a DT because we already have two good DT's. We don't need a OL because if our OL stays healthy, we had just wasted our first pick to sit on the bench.

I still think DE is our priority, and besides Chris Long, hes the best on the board at DE.
    It's tough for sure, but I'd take Jake Long over Gholston. Obviously it's not optimal, but if Chris Long is gone, nothing is really optimal. If we do pick J. Long, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Pace cut. Huge salary, obvious durability issues, and has only 2-3 more years left in him tops anyway.

The major reason I don't really like taking J. Long is because with the depth at O Line this year I think it'd be easy to grab a great LT in round 2. If these injury concerns about Dorsey hadn't surfaced today, I would have preferred Dorsey over J. Long, but I don't want to touch him if he really does have a stress fracture (which, as mentioned, would only get worse with time).

But in the end, Jake Long is a better player than Gholston. Gholston fills a bigger immediate need, but LT is going to become a major need in 1-2 years anyway, if not sooner. We're not picking just for '08, we're picking for the next 10+ years.

Just my opinion, of course.

Hmmm you guys have convinced me. If we do take Jake Long...we might be able to land a lucky player in round two at DE ofcourse...it's a possibilty.

Rambos is offline Registered User

1) Chris Long
    2) Jake Long
    3) Vernon Gholston
    I agree...