Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Michael Huff Draft Diary - Feb 22

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    I don't want to draft Huff because we don't need him. It woudl be stupid too draft a guy at a position not concerning our needs. S is the last of things we need on D. LB then DL, CB and then S. Plenty of good safeties in the free agency and less of any average TEs. And yes I still want Greenway I'm just representing VD right now.
    I wouldn't say there were that many good safeties in free agency. The way I see it, Chris Hope is definitely a quality safety but one who will likely resign in Pittsburgh. McCree is good. Demps might be alright. After that? Corey Chavous or Lance Schulters are possibilities if 30+ and declining are things you're looking for in the backfield or if you prefer frailty, we have Idrees Bashir. Where's the quality after that? Terrence Holt? Antuan Edwards? LOL

I agree LB is a bigger priority, but I'd say OLB is deeper in good free agents now than safety. DL is a concern. Then you're looking at CB and S; Huff could play either.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I wouldn't say there were that many good safeties in free agency. The way I see it, Chris Hope is definitely a quality safety but one who will likely resign in Pittsburgh. McCree is good. Demps might be alright. After that? Corey Chavous or Lance Schulters are possibilities if 30+ and declining are things you're looking for in the backfield or if you prefer frailty, we have Idrees Bashir. Where's the quality after that? Terrence Holt? Antuan Edwards? LOL

I agree LB is a bigger priority, but I'd say OLB is deeper in good free agents now than safety. DL is a concern. Then you're looking at CB and S; Huff could play either.
    No way its deeper in the FA. Arrington will stay an dJune will be resigned. And then there is Peterson who will go to Baltimore.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

No way its deeper in the FA. Arrington will stay an dJune will be resigned. And then there is Peterson who will go to Baltimore.
    Have you even looked at the names available in free agency at LB? Akin Ayodele, Cato June, David Thornton, Julian Peterson, Nick Greisen, Will Witherspoon. All very good to top end LBs. And until they actually do sign elsewhere, writing them off because you think they will is a pretty poor excuse.

At safety? Corey Chavous, Chris Hope, and Lance Schulters. That's really about it, and these guys aren't as good at their position as LBs like Peterson, Witherspoon, June, etc.

No way it's deeper? I don't know where you justify some of this stuff.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I justify it myself because I hate and will disagree about the pickup of Huff.
    RamsFan16

I justify it myself because I hate and will disagree about the pickup of Huff.
    So you justify that there are more and better safeties in free agency than there are linebackers because you don't want to pick Huff?

You make no sense.

Never mind you don't get it. I'm not going to explain it anymore.
    RamsFan16

I don't get it because there's nothing to get. It doesn't matter who you want the Rams to draft. That doesn't change what is and isn't available in free agency. You claimed there was no way LB was deeper in FA than safety, and when I asked how you justified that statement, you said because you don't want to draft Huff. One has nothing to do with the other.

What I don't get is how you wanted a LB before you started worshiping Huff. No need for that thing. We have Arch coming back and Atogwe is a playmaker too. Huff pick makes no sense and I hate the pick because we dont need him but you can continue to worship him.
    RamsFan16

Rambos is online now Registered User

Athleticism to play either cornerback or safety, good at jamming guys at the line and playing receivers man to man, potential sub-4.4 speed, ballhawk who can take turnovers to the endzone, great instincts and football smarts, excellent tackling ability, great closing speed, can play in the box for run support, consistently makes open field plays on the ball carrier, Defensive MVP of the NCAA National Championship game, won the Thorpe Award as the best DB in college football...
    What's not to like, Huff would be a great pick.

What I don't get is how you wanted a LB before you started worshiping Huff.
    I would think someone who also wanted a linebacker before changing his opinion to a tight end would understand why I might change mine. Stocks rise and fall. I don't even think the pro season and bowl games had been played when I was talking about taking a LB. Obviously a lot has changed since then.

If you think there's something wrong with changing who you want the Rams to target over a period of a couple months, maybe you should go back to pushing Chad Greenway as our top pick instead of Vernon Davis?

I'm still waiting to hear how not wanting to draft Huff somehow changes who's in the free agent market, since instead of responding to that, you tried to put me on the defense.

I'd certainly take Greenway, Ryans, Williams, Davis, Hawk, Williams before Huff.
    RamsFan16

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't know what the 'Skins are going to have to do to get under; their cap situation is atrocious. Even if June isn't available, I'd say Peterson still qualifies as part of the depth. But even if he signs elsewhere, Witherspoon is really good, then Ayodele. I think Thornton would be a decent signing, and he's young. Scott Fujita has had some pretty good years. Then you've got guys like Hunter Hillenmeyer and Antwaan Peek coming off their rookie contracts who haven't put up great stats but have a lot of upside.

Just my opinion, but at safety you've got a couple of solid guys (but not stars) at the top and then a group of guys who are past their prime and were never great to begin with, including guys like Bashir and Schulters who had to settle for one year contracts in '05 and even the teams that signed them last year don't appear to be in a hurry to resign them. At OLB I'm seeing several stars at the top, several more solid players below them, and then a pretty good group of young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I don't know what the 'Skins are going to have to do to get under; their cap situation is atrocious. Even if June isn't available, I'd say Peterson still qualifies as part of the depth. But even if he signs elsewhere, Witherspoon is really good, then Ayodele. I think Thornton would be a decent signing, and he's young. Scott Fujita has had some pretty good years. Then you've got guys like Hunter Hillenmeyer and Antwaan Peek coming off their rookie contracts who haven't put up great stats but have a lot of upside.

Just my opinion, but at safety you've got a couple of solid guys (but not stars) at the top and then a group of guys who are past their prime and were never great to begin with, including guys like Bashir and Schulters who had to settle for one year contracts in '05 and even the teams that signed them last year don't appear to be in a hurry to resign them. At OLB I'm seeing several stars at the top, several more solid players below them, and then a pretty good group of young players.
    Very good analysis of the free agent situation. There is clearly better talent and more of it at linebacker than there is at safety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12