Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Michael Huff on the trade block?

Safety-challenged
    By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
    Sunday, February 24th, 2008 at 9:40 am in Oakland Raiders.

Will this be the year the Raiders either sign or discover a playmaker or a big-hitter to play safety?

The safety class is not considered particularly strong. When the first round is complete, Miamiís Kenny Phillips could be the only named called, and itís possible no safeties at all will be taken. Alabamaís Simeon Castille was an intriguing playmaker for Nick Saban at Alabama who played cornerback but seemed to do his best work inside as a nickel corner and safety.

Other than one last great year out of Rod Woodson in 2002, safety play has been a problem for the Raiders since they came back to Oakland in 1995. One of their more remarkable accomplisments was making it all the way to the AFC championship game in 2000 with Marquez Pope and Anthony Dorsett manning the last line of defense.

Stuart Schweigert was displaced by Hiram Eugene as the starter last season, and it wasnít much of an upgrade. Eugene missed tackles at roughly the same rate as Schweigert. Michael Huff has one interception in 32 games at strong safety.

At the season-ending press conference, Lane Kiffin hinted that Huff, slightly built for a strong safety and more of a form tackler than a big hitter, might be on the move to free safety. Since then, it remains to be seen just how much input Kiffin will have with regard to Huff or anyone else, and two league sources said during the week that it is no secret in league circles that Huff is available by trade.

Iím skeptical about pulling that off, because the Raiders, the justifiable Randy Moss giveaway aside, usually ask for way more than teams are willing to give and Huff, while decent in coverage against tight ends, has not been a playmaker or much of a help in the box stopping the run.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Michael Huff on the trade block?

I'd pass on him unless they are giving him away like Moss. I think the reason he hasn't been sucssfull is he has been playing SS where he is more of a FS and we already have one so ill pass.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Wow, and this is the guy we were all hoping would fall to us at the 11th pick in the '06 draft. As is said by tx (over and over and again and again) "the draft is a crapshoot."

WHAT SAY YE?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'd take a chance hoping what he really needs is a change of scenery. Certainly not for more than a third and maybe a player on top, but where are you going to find a safety, especially in this draft, who has that kind of potential? Admittedly, he's not lived up to his projected potential in Oakland, and it might be a 2006 hangover, but a part of me really digs this guy.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If we had any kind of need at the free safety position, I'd be on the phone with Oakland myself. I loved Huff as a prospect but he hasn't excelled in Oakland as a strong safety and it probably doesn't help that the Raiders haven't had much of a pass rush the last two seasons. Rather than dumping him altogether, the Raiders would be wise to move him to free safety where he can better utilize his coverage skills. I can't help but wonder if they're just dangling him to see if they can reel in a big fish considering this is a weak group of safeties in both free agency and the draft.

shower beers is offline Registered User

One would almost certainly have to consider an offer if the price is right. This has to be, at least partially, a problem of the system/team. He has a couple good defenders around him, but definitely not enough to let him shine. I'd like to think that in a better scenario, he'd perform a lot better, and we would be able to get him for a good price.

I say, go for it. But what do I know.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I would have to say go for it. A 3rd would be a steal for a prospect like Huff. You'd have to take that gamble and hope a change of scenery would benefit him.

LinkBacks (?)