Thread: Michael Oher

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Michael Oher

I was watching the offensive lineman work out and I was pretty impressed with Michael Oher. The first thing I noticed was how dominating he was. In his one on one drills he would simply just destroy the opposing player. With the fall of Andre Smith today, I think we should go after Oher. He could be the guy that we have been looking to replace Pace.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Michael Oher

A huge fear i have of Oher is that they are saying he reminds everyone of Barron. I do not want another Barron, especially with the #2 overall pick. He has also been on the steady decline for that past while until he proves that he has the work ethic and all that other jazz I say you go with the safer pick.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I actually liked the way Oher worked out.... Impressed me greatly did he...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

The only way we take Oher is if we trade down, which I would love to see. Extra picks, and especially with the gap between the OT's not large, we would get an equal talent even by moving lower. Right now, I am really in love with Jason Smith though. He is confident yet not cocky, and I really don't think he would let himself fail. I'd love him at #2 right now.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The problem with Oher is that, yes, sometimes he looks dominant and flashes elite ability. But then other times he looks completely different and gets beaten easily. He's an inconsistent player on the field, and that's one of the reasons his stock has dropped during this process. I don't see him as an option with our second overall pick.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    The only way we take Oher is if we trade down, which I would love to see. Extra picks, and especially with the gap between the OT's not large, we would get an equal talent even by moving lower. Right now, I am really in love with Jason Smith though. He is confident yet not cocky, and I really don't think he would let himself fail. I'd love him at #2 right now.
    Agreed with the rapid fall of A. Smith I think I would trade down for him that is high for a player that might not be dominate.
    :ramlogo:

tdog08 is offline Registered User

monroe is better and he's younger, plus oter might be a better right tackle

Keenum is offline Registered User

I've been wanting us to get Smith with that #2 pick ever since it was official we had that one, but now I really think we should start looking elsewhere. Oher is another great choice, but as said, I think we could still trade down and get him or somebody else to fill a need.
    Smith still has one more shot at his pro day in March, but he would have to pretty much have the greatest pro day in history to get back up to #2 selection worthiness. Hey, maybe if we trade down we could still get him. I think John Clayton said he has moved Smith down to about 12th-15th overall pick, and I know a few O-line coaches have suggested he be removed from their draft board.
    All I know is Smith's decline has made our #2 pick a lot more difficult, at least from my point of view. I didn't get to see any of the combine today, but I also heard Oher was impressive.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The problem with Oher is that, yes, sometimes he looks dominant and flashes elite ability. But then other times he looks completely different and gets beaten easily. He's an inconsistent player on the field, and that's one of the reasons his stock has dropped during this process. I don't see him as an option with our second overall pick.

I think I would have to disagree with you here Nick. He may have looked inconsistent on the field at times, but if he can continue with these impressive results then I think we should go after him. He has shown that he was pure raw athletic talent. We all know that he can use it to be a mauler. If he can show us this same level of talent at his pro day, we should give him a good look.

The other thing that stands out to me is his past. He has had so much adversity thrown at him, but somehow always overcomes the problems to prevail. That is just something that you don't find a lot of any more. And even if he isn't the most technical player I think with some good coaching, he could be a pro bowl tackle yet.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I think I would have to disagree with you here Nick. He may have looked inconsistent on the field at times, but if he can continue with these impressive results then I think we should go after him. He has shown that he was pure raw athletic talent. We all know that he can use it to be a mauler. If he can show us this same level of talent at his pro day, we should give him a good look.
    Well, we can agree to disagree then. I can't bring myself to completely fall in love with a guy after one day in shorts when his entire season led me to a different conclusion. Besides, I don't think he had that great of a workout. I was watching yesterday and at one point during a drill he was instructed to turn one way and went the complete opposite way and had to start over. He didn't look consistent to me at the Senior Bowl either. It's a problem for him, and at second overall, it's not a problem I'm willing to tolerate.