Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,842
    Rep Power
    168

    Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    Here are some questions I'd want to have answered before I'd consider drafting Michael Sam:

    1. Can he play OLB in a 4-3?
    2. How fast is he?
    3. How strong is he?
    4. Will he be available in Rounds 3-5 (part of draft where I'd consider looking at OLBs)?

    That's pretty much it.

    I couldn't care less about his sexual orientation.


  2. #2
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,628
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    I couldnt care less either what consenting adults do in the bedroom. However, it is an unfortunate reality that some teams will downgrade him out of concerns for distraction and issues in the locker room. I hope the Rams are not one of those teams, but of course, we will never know and no one will ever admit to downgrading him.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    ramsbruce likes this.


  3. #3
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,642
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    This is a media creation. I doubt any of the 32 teams care about this. Sam's Mizzou teammates have known about this since before the 2013 season, and they just came off one of the best seasons in school history!

    If this wasn't a distraction to a lockerroom full of 19 and 20 year old kids, I doubt it will be a distraction for 25-30 year old men.
    MauiRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  4. #4
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    I really respect Sam for what he did.

    Unfortunately, I think it drops him off some draft boards completely.

    Some locker rooms just wont accept it, plain and simple. We've seen how some locker rooms are filled with homophobia. We've also seen how numerous players in the NFL are egotistical and vain. They're perfect in their eyes, and if a gay guy even glances at them in the locker room, in their mind he must be checking them out. Check out Johnathan Vilma's interview on NFL.com, he basically confirms this. GMs won't ignore this. Whether they agree with their players views or not, they understand locker room chemistry is crucial to a teams success.

    With that said, hopefully Sam can go to a team that accepts him as a football player(like MU did) and he has a long, prosperous NFL career.

  5. #5
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,755
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    Ironically this is a player I had my sights on at the Combine because I thought he would be a nice complement to Alec Ogletree as a SAM OLB. I respect what he did and truly hope he doesn't suffer negatively from the revelation. The word I'm hearing is at the Senior Bowl he didn't practice that well as an OLB, but that may simply be because it was a new position for him.

    I agree with the point made that how he plays (strength and speed) matter far more to me. He has shown some leadership with this move and that's a plus. I do feel that in contrast with AV's point that we look at an OLB in rounds 3-5 is later than I suspect we'll be addressing that spot. I really don't think our locker room would have a problem largely because I think Jeff Fisher knows how to work with players regardless of their personalities.

    Go Rams!

  6. #6
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,391
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    I see Michael Sam as Leonard Little. He's a liability in run blocking and he's going to be counted on to produce solely as a pass rusher (and special teams player). Maybe he can do it, we'll see. JMO but if you are a 5th round pick, you are a backup the first year or two most likely and he needs that development time.

    I don't see Michael as a 4-3 OLB simply because he's not very good at pass coverage. Maybe as a backup he fits and give him a full year to develop.

    A team with leadership will be able to handle an openly gay player. A team without leadership will struggle with it. Mizzou handled it because they had TERRIFIC leadership this year. If a guy like Vilma can't handle it, that's his problem.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -02-10-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    HUbison likes this.

  7. #7
    citr92's Avatar
    citr92 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,327
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    i just find it amazing that of all the problems the human race has to deal with that are SERIOUS and not really cared about by many

    they want to make another one regarding sexual orientation....

    guess what? It doesn't matter, it does ZERO harm to anything and heck, it's all over the animal kingdom

    good for michael, shame everyone makes a big deal out of a preference people are born with
    Last edited by citr92; -02-10-2014 at 10:27 PM.

  8. #8
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I really respect Sam for what he did.

    Unfortunately, I think it drops him off some draft boards completely.
    I hope your right, gives the Rams more opportunities to pounce on him in the middle rounds… depending of course on if he's able to play the OLB spot opposite Tree

  9. #9
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post

    ...I think it drops him off some draft boards completely.

    Some locker rooms just wont accept it, plain and simple. We've seen how some locker rooms are filled with homophobia. We've also seen how numerous players in the NFL are egotistical and vain. They're perfect in their eyes, and if a gay guy even glances at them in the locker room, in their mind he must be checking them out. Check out Johnathan Vilma's interview on NFL.com, he basically confirms this. GMs won't ignore this. Whether they agree with their players views or not, they understand locker room chemistry is crucial to a teams success.

    With that said, hopefully Sam can go to a team that accepts him as a football player(like MU did) and he has a long, prosperous NFL career.

    For me, though I realize it won't happen, I wish ALL draft boards drop him off completely.

    Again, IMO, this is NOT the same issue to be considered in terms of discrimination as, say, religion or race. In addition to those necessary and specific questions related to NFL athleticism, i.e.:

    1. Can he play OLB in a 4-3?
    2. How fast is he?
    3. How strong is he?
    4. Will he be available in Rounds 3-5 (part of draft where I'd consider looking at OLBs)?
    ...there should also be a perspective associated with gender morality / moral fiber.

    But then, that would not only be going against the grain (e.g., NFL commissioner Goodell having a lefty brother; former commissioner Tagliabue having a homo son), as modern day societal trends go (even 1st lady Michele Obama's has sent a congratulatory message to Sam [the man?!?], or the XXII Winter Olympics reluctantly "having" to "respect" these kind of people), it would also ruin the party by the scandal -- and therein, the distraction -- that an avalanche of discriminatory law suits would produce.

    I feel there are NFL players that truly feel uncomfortable having MS teammates in their locker room or on the field as opponents. As in having a real or imaginary disease, the "koodies", etc. Or, simply because those minorities go directly opposed to their religious and/or moral beliefs, very particular philosophical beliefs. One does not necessarily hate them, and in fact can work alongside with them in a non sports / contact sports environment where sweat and blood are a regular physical interaction.

    Sure, this did not seem to be much of an issue at Mizzou because, IMO, the younger the people, the more willing they are to adapt these 'present day culture of acceptance'. A not-too-distant everything goes approach to a you're cool / I'm cool mentality.


    I reiterate: personal tolerance in general is one thing, even if I don't respect an individual. But to consider MS my "leader" (as he is being called in the collegiate world), and furthermore, to play American football with or against him?... NO, I don't think so!


    Times change, I know. Often this reflects an evolution that is based on solidarity and support, on a so-called modern and progressive understanding. But to imagine the NFL rosters a few years from now growing in numbers of gay players (probably even willing to accept their little rainbow symbols either as part of their special uniforms or on flags of euphoric fans in the stands) ... it makes me shudder.

    What next -- NFL gay players kissing on the mouth after a win on live TV? Or, celebrating in gay fashion their NFL G.A.Y. parties (Gay Anniversary Yodle)? Picture that living room scenario among wholesome families. [ Once more, I know it is becoming more and more prevalent, starting in collegiate programs; but, to me it is S.O.S.: simply / obscene / sickening. ] How about transvestites kissing their favorite NFL player after a score and leap onto the stands... I see this as consequential, almost inevitable. "Oh, what's that you say -- there will be new rules for excessive celebration among players wearing a rainbow decal on their helmet? Oh, I see. Fairness and consideration rules for non-gay players."




    I am strongly against the stubborn imposing of this culture on a sport that I love. I hope there will be many NFL players, even their NFLPA, available to stand up against the pro gay posture with courage and conviction, with more character than that of gay pride (yuk).


    For now, I see all this media attention working in MS's favor. But I sure hope that he does NOT meet the football expectations of NFL owners and coaches at the scouting combine.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-11-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Format

  10. #10
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    For me, though I realize it won't happen, I wish ALL draft boards drop him off completely.

    Again, IMO, this is NOT the same issue to be considered in terms of discrimination as, say, religion or race. In addition to those necessary and specific questions related to NFL athleticism, i.e.:



    ...there should also be a perspective associated with gender morality / moral fiber.

    But then, that would not only be going against the grain (e.g., NFL commissioner Goodell having a lefty brother; former commissioner Tagliabue having a homo son), as modern day societal trends go (even 1st lady Michele Obama's has sent a congratulatory message to Sam the man [man?!?], or the XXII Winter Olympics reluctantly "having" to "respect" these kind of people), it would also ruin the party by the scandal -- and therein, the distraction -- that an avalanche of law suits would produce.

    I feel there are NFL players that truly feel uncomfortable having MS teammates in their locker room or on the field as opponents. As in having a real or imaginary disease, the "koodies", etc. Or, simply because those minorities go directly opposed to their religious and/or moral beliefs, very particular philosophical beliefs. One does not necessarily hate them, and in fact can work alongside with them in a non sports / contact sports environment where sweat and blood are a regular physical interaction.

    Sure, this did not seem to be much of an issue at Mizzou because, IMO, the younger the people, the more willing they are to adapt these 'present day culture of acceptance'. A not-too-distant everything goes approach to a you're cool / I'm cool mentality.


    I reiterate: personal tolerance in general is one thing, even if I don't respect an individual. But to consider that person my "leader", as he is being called in the collegiate world, and furthermore, to play American football with or against him?... NO, I don't think so!

    Times change, I know. Often this reflects an evolution that is based on solidarity and support, on a so-called modern and progressive understanding. But to imagine the NFL rosters a few years from now growing in numbers of gay players (probably even willing to accept their little rainbow symbols either as part of their uniforms or on flags of euphoric fans in the stands) ... it makes me shudder.

    What next -- NFL gay players kissing on the mouth after a win on live TV? Or, celebrating in gay fashion their NFL G.A.Y. = Gay Anniversary Yodle? Picture that living room scenario among families. [ Once more, I know it is becoming more and more prevalent, starting in collegiate programs; but, to me it is S.O.S.: simply / obscene / sickening. ] How about transvestites kissing their favorite NFL player after a score and leap onto the stands... I see this as consequential, almost inevitable. "Oh, what's that you say -- there will be new rules for excessive celebration among players wearing a rainbow decal on their helmet? Oh, I see. Fairness and consideration rules for non-gay players."




    I am strongly against the stubborn imposing of this culture on a sport that I love. I hope there will be many NFL players, even their NFLPA, available to stand up against the pro gay posture with courage and conviction, with more character than that of gay pride (yuk).


    For now, I see all this media attention working in MS's favor. But I sure hope that he does NOT meet the football expectations of NFL owners and coaches at the scouting combine.
    So it's alright to accept players who cheat on their wives and create numerous kids out of wedlock, but having a gay teammate is corrupting the moral fiber of the NFL? Ummm ya, that makes sense

  11. #11
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    No, V25.

    It is NOT alright to accept players that cheat on their wives and create numerous kids out of wedlock.

    It is, in fact, illegal.

  12. #12
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

    I reiterate: personal tolerance in general is one thing, even if I don't respect an individual. But to consider that person my "leader", as he is being called in the collegiate world, and furthermore, to play American football with or against him?... NO, I don't think so!
    Sounds like a personal problem.

    This man grew up in a terrible environment, lost three siblings, has two brothers in jail, no father, and yet he is a college graduate. He has beat all the odds. He was a great teammate, LEADER and citizen while at Mizzou. And you have the audacity to judge him based off of what he legally chooses to do behind closed doors as a free American? Ugh...

    Luckily, your views are quickly dying out in this country. Times are changing. Deal with it.
    ramsbruce and Vinnie25 like this.

  13. #13
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Sounds like a personal problem.

    This man grew up in a terrible environment, lost three siblings, has two brothers in jail, no father, and yet he is a college graduate. He has beat all the odds. He was a great teammate, LEADER and citizen while at Mizzou. And you have the audacity to judge him based off of what he legally chooses to do behind closed doors as a free American? Ugh...

    Luckily, your views are quickly dying out in this country. Times are changing. Deal with it.
    Duh, I've already stated that "times are changing" Festus!

    I applaud the efforts and victories of people that have achieved personal and professional merits despite extreme circumstances and adversity and still, they maintain a moral mentality and virtue. They too are free Americans and IMO, far better LEADERS. TRUE LEADERS.

    On a different topic, pot is now legal in Colorado and Washington states. Does that mean the NFL should accept more and more players to use the drug because X, Y, and Z? And that fans that do not share said view ought to just "deal with it"?

    Good grief.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-11-2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Emoticon

  14. #14
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

    On a different topic, pot is now legal in Colorado and Washington states. Does that mean the NFL should accept more and more players to use the drug because X, Y, and Z? And that fans that do not share said view ought to just "deal with it"?

    Good grief.
    What does pot have to do with anything? Pot is still illegal in some states and under federal law.

    When's the last time homosexuality has been illegal in the U.S.?

    Terrible argument...
    ramsbruce likes this.

  15. #15
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

    To make it clear to you Festus, I'm not using pot as an "argument" -- thus prefacing it as a different topic.

    It is the fact that many fans still do not share the view of using it and that the NFL just may "have to" change its policies due to some players' tendency to use it and, due to the notion that ...times are changing. Just because times are changing. ...Wow, now there's an argument! Right? **Sigh**

    I never said that being homo is or, should be, illegal. Get it straight before you reply.

    To me, however, it is downright an abhorrent human aberration. That's why I would not want to see MS in the NFL, less we begin to witness other sequels and results of this human lifestyle that I see as shamefully ill, degenerated, and crass as per the gay behaviors that I mentioned in my initial post. Infected behaviors that I would anticipated among players, the media, and fans interacting.

    Mercy!
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-11-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: -04-04-2013, 10:18 PM
  2. Your Bash Questions Answered Here
    By AvengerRam in forum Bash and Game forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: -09-09-2009, 11:32 PM
  3. D'Marco Farr Questions --Answered!!
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: -09-29-2008, 08:50 PM
  4. Questions Answered, and Answers Questioned
    By ramsanddodgers in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
  5. Claiborne questions answered...
    By Varg6 in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -10-31-2006, 04:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •