Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Michael Sam: Some Questions I'd Want Answered Before Drafting Him

Quote Originally Posted by Punahou View Post
    His sexual preference should never have been mentioned IMO. It now breeds controversy and could be a cant win scenario.

If hes drafted low-- then teams exhibit bias, if hes drafted high, then teams took him to placate the media.

How about he just said -- I'm Michael Sam, Sam I am, and I'm a football player- period.

Front office people may or may not have found out-- but I'm sure if they did they wouldn't grill him about it as that most certainly would get out.

I'm curious to know the what if factor now if this guy has a huge combine.
    IE at 6'2" 255 lbs

Runs a 4.5 X 40
    BP 38 X 225
    39" vertical

On Sirius NFL radio-- most of the hosts who watched him play say he's a rd 3-5 pick no matter what, as his inability to figure out how to play LB hurt him at the Senior Bowl.
    Totally agree, especially about how a team may be viewed for drafting MS.

Two things happened in one week:

DE Ted Agu from Cal University died while weight lifting. RIP to a young man who lost his life.

DE Michael Sam came out of the closet.

I'll bet 90% of you have never heard of Agu, and yet know about Sam. It's a sad world we live in. These are our priorities?

Originally posted by Sosa39Rams

Good point Sosa! Well said. I was not aware about T. Agu and am sorry to hear of his tragic passing.

Last edited by RealRam; -02-11-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: S39 quote
    sosa39rams likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sam, the player --- I don't see him as a 4-3 OLB. I think he can be a solid 3-4 OLB, or a 4-3 Rush end like Robert Mathis. Ultimately, I don't see him as an option with the Rams current Defensive structure.

Sam, the gay dude --- Crap, I don't know. I've got a couple of gay buddies I can set him up with. Other than that, I'm pretty sure I don't care one way or the other.
    ramsbruce likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Oh, no, no, no. I'm not naive to think this is something "new", please! It is a story thousands of years old. But as I replied a couple of posts ago, rest assured I will never cheer for a player that I know is gay. Likewise, I would never consider that person a role model. MS, whomever. That player may make good plays but the fact that he/she is a he/she, it WOULD thus affect my opinion. Yes, absolutely.

One of the ironical aspects of all this is to label people such as myself as 'narrow minded', or worse, soon-to-be the 'abnormal'.
    Your words are that "you are never cheering for a known gay" yet you find it ironic that some people are seeing you as "narrow minded". I'm not here to change your opinion, but you not cheering someone solely on their sexual preference, that doesn't affect you, or your life in the slightest, is narrow minded, imo.

M.Sam is just another human being who happens to have a different sexual preference. He should be treated no differently than any other good human being.
    chiguy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsbruce View Post
    Your words are that "you are never cheering for a known gay" yet you find it ironic that some people are seeing you as "narrow minded". I'm not here to change your opinion, but you not cheering someone solely on their sexual preference, that doesn't affect you, or your life in the slightest, is narrow minded, IMO.

M.Sam is just another human being who happens to have a different sexual preference. He should be treated no differently than any other good human being.
    Okay 'wise guy'. My stance is that I would indeed treat them as a human being. Got it?

Possible scenario. A gay person suffers a stroke or heart attack, falls unconscious, stops breathing. With my limited CPR training, and fully aware of the sexual orientation of that individual, I would not hesitate to perform CPR on that person and attempt to get him/her breathing. It may even be an NFL rookie hopeful such as Michael Sam.

...Got it?

Another scenario, hypothesis. I know how to play the harmonica well and find myself socializing with other harmonica enthusiasts but I don't have my own instrument with me at the time. Two people invite me to play their harmonica. I know one of them is gay and the other is not. I will ONLY take the straight person's musical instrument. ...Got it?

Similar scenarios would apply if I were in the NFL, other sport leagues, or any other human interaction.

Seems you're too easily prone to label people as "narrow minded."
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-11-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Format

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

This thread has deteriorated into inappropriate territory. I think we're done here.
    MauiRam likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234