Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Michigan's Branch, Pittsburgh's Revis heading to NFL early

Michigan DT Alan Branch and Pittsburgh CB Darrelle Revis have made it official - they're coming out for the 2007 NFL Draft.

Branch should be a top 10 pick and the first DT off the board, while Revis will likely compete to be the second cornerback chosen after Leon Hall in round one.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RedArcher7 Guest

Re: Michigan's Branch, Pittsburgh's Revis heading to NFL early

Great news, however I think Hughes out of Cal will be taken after Hall and before Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Great news, however I think Hughes out of Cal will be taken after Hall and before Revis.
    I have my doubts about Hughes going in the first round, honestly. He has neither great size nor great speed, and while he was vastly successful in college, I have concerns about how well he's going to be able to keep up with faster receivers in the NFL. I think he's a great athlete who has a nose for the ball and is physical as well, so for those reasons I would look for him to be a nice ft on a Cover 2 team where his lack of elite speed isn't going to be as exposed. I guess he could go to a team in the late first like New England or Chicago, but I'm just not sure I see him in the top 32 right now. I think the ideal landing spot for him would be in the middle of the second round to Buffalo, who will likely lose Nate Clements to free agency and are trying to build a Cover 2 defense.

RedArcher7 Guest

We don't seem to agree on anything...

We don't seem to agree on anything...
    Well, why do you disagree about Hughes?

RedArcher7 Guest

The kid plays in the Pac-10. The most prostyle conference in the league, and was named defensive player of the year for said Pac-10. He's fast enough to play and he's 6-foot-2 I don't know why he's not big enough. He's always around the ball and doesn't let recievers get wide open. I'd put Revis 4th on the Corner list, behind Hall, Hughes then Antione Cason from Arizona (If he declares).
    Last edited by RedArcher7; -01-08-2007 at 07:06 PM.

The kid plays in the Pac-10. The most prostyle conference in the league, and was named defensive player of the year for said Pac-10.
    ...which is why I said he was "vastly successful in college."

He's fast enough to play and he's 6-foot-2 I don't know why he's not big enough.
    Most sites have his forty-time estimated at 4.55. That's generally not a good time for what's supposed to be a first round top corner prospect, and does nothing to quell concerns about his ability to keep up with faster receivers at the next level. Improving on that time at the combine would go a long ways towards fighting for that #2 corner spot.

As for his height, his own university website lists him at 5'11".

Now, if he were a 6'2" corner with 4.5 speed, that would probably make more sense. A 5'11" corner with 4.5 speed, however, doesn't strike me as great first round material. I dunno, maybe those measurables are inaccurate though. We'll find out at the combine.

RedArcher7 Guest

He's 6 foot 2, I don't know why he's listed 5'11...but that does make sense for it to be a slow time at 5'11 I'll agree, but I have it on at least 4 sources that he's 6 foot 2. You're right that a 4.55 for a corner is slow, I run faster than that. Again, the Pac-10 is the most pro ready conference. More teams run pro-style offenses which should give him an edge in a learning curve

He's 6 foot 2, I don't know why he's listed 5'11...but that does make sense for it to be a slow time at 5'11 I'll agree, but I have it on at least 4 sources that he's 6 foot 2. You're right that a 4.55 for a corner is slow, I run faster than that. Again, the Pac-10 is the most pro ready conference. More teams run pro-style offenses which should give him an edge in a learning curve
    I have multiple sites reporting 5'11" as well, so we'll have to wait and see when an actual measurement takes place. That being said, I don't know why you keep repeating the info about his conference and him being pro-ready. Those aren't the areas of concern with Hughes that I mentioned; it's the size and speed that are questionable, though once we get something official in the books we can reevaluate.

RedArcher7 Guest

You said Revis was a better corner, I say Hughes is better and that's why. The Big East doesn't use as many pro-style offenses so he's had less experience going up against them. Guess we wait until Combine day.

You said Revis was a better corner, I say Hughes is better and that's why. The Big East doesn't use as many pro-style offenses so he's had less experience going up against them. Guess we wait until Combine day.
    So wait, your case for Hughes being a better prospect than Revis is based on Revis not competing against as many pro-style offenses?

Level of competition is something to consider, no doubt. But I think there are PLENTY of examples of players from smaller schools who might not have as much experience against top talent succeeding at a high level in the NFL. I wouldn't give Hughes the edge simply because he plays in the Pac-10 while Revis plays in the Big East.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-08-2007 at 08:57 PM.

RedArcher7 Guest

Not my entire case no, just a part. The rest of my case is look at what he's done playing college football. Defensive player of the year...you know the rest. Revis didn't have quite the year Hughes did. Revis isn't far behind Hughes and Cason but he's just not as good. He let's more recievers get more space to catch the ball than Hughes. No my case for Hughes isn't
    "He played in the Pac-10". You 're right, there are plenty of players from smaller schools that have been great. Darren Sharper, T.O....the list goes on as you know. But Pitt isn't a small school. They've sent plenty of players out and will send more. Dan Marino and Larry Fitz come to mind.

The rest of my case is look at what he's done playing college football.
    To me, this still sounds like the same argument over and over again - "He plays in the Pac-10 and he played great." I guess we can simply agree to disagree on this one, because my concern with Hughes isn't lack of college production but whether he has the physical skills to translate into an elite NFL corner worthy of a first round pick.

I'll be interested to see what Hughes measures in at, and I was wrong in that we'll find out before the combine since Hughes has accepted a bid to go to the Senior Bowl (Jan 27) and will get measured there.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

if you look at the draft history, a poor 40 time will drop a player down the pecking order no matter how well he plays. Happened to Anquan Boldin. A good 40 time raises a players draft stock immensely, like what happened to Troy Williamson.

Country Guest

I thought this was the Alan Branch thread?

I would kill to see Branch wearing a Rams uniform come May 1st.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast