throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Middle Man

RockinRam is offline Registered User

The Middle Man

I've been thinking, and I've come to a conclusion. (This is NOT another "draft Curry" thread.)

We are currently lacking a starting middle linebacker, and if we don't take Aaron Curry, then we most likely will settle for a middle-class linebacker. (Assuming Lauranaitis is not there in the second round.)

Here are the middle linebackers besides Lauranaitis, Maualauga, and Curry:

*Note: I consider these the players that could contribute as a starter.

Darry Beckwith LSU 6'0 242 lbs.
    Dannell Elerbe Georgia 6'1 236 lbs.
    Scott Mckillop Pitt 6'1 244 lbs.
    Daniel Holtzclaw E. Mich 6'1 245 lbs.
    Jason Phillips TCU 6'1 239lbs.
    Jaspar Brinkley S. Car 6'2 252lbs.
    Antonio Appleby Virg. 6'4 248lbs.
    Frantz Joseph Flo. Atl. 6'3 235lbs.

My question is, do y'all feel comfortable with this group of 'backers, and which player do you feel is the best player in that list, and can contribute the most to this team?

My choices: Mckillop, Holtzclaw, and Brinkley.

~Rockin

Mooselini Guest

Re: The Middle Man

I like McKillop. I'd actually rather take him over Curry. I am NOT experimenting with our first round pick...again. Carriker was enough. I'm scared that he may not even be on this team in a few years because he doesn't fit in.

I really think Tinoisamoa and Spoon can play outside opposite of each other. Everyone doesn't think they can, but why not? We can give them a shot. Say we draft Curry and he ends up playing out side, that doesn't answer our MLB situation.

If we need a MLB, I think McKillop is the choic. He's a tackling machine and we need that type of player. Good thing about McKillop, we may be able to wait until the third round to snag him.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I stopped reading once I saw that this was not another Curry thread

No but really, I suppose if we HAVE to settle on someone then I would take McKillop, he is a tackling machine.

Now to bring the focus back on Curry which is where it belongs , come on Moose you really think that it is that big of an experiment to shift from a SOLB to an MLB? There have been tons of farther moves that have panned out. Its not like moving from SS to LB or from DE to DT or LB, heck IMO its not even as bad as moving from RT to LT.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I like McKillop. I'd actually rather take him over Curry. I am NOT experimenting with our first round pick...again. Carriker was enough. I'm scared that he may not even be on this team in a few years because he doesn't fit in.

I really think Tinoisamoa and Spoon can play outside opposite of each other. Everyone doesn't think they can, but why not? We can give them a shot. Say we draft Curry and he ends up playing out side, that doesn't answer our MLB situation.

If we need a MLB, I think McKillop is the choic. He's a tackling machine and we need that type of player. Good thing about McKillop, we may be able to wait until the third round to snag him.
    If we are going to go with OT at #1. Then Mckillop needs to be our guy. He is as you said probably the best MLB choice currently slated to get drafted out of the 2nd. Hopefully we can grab him if not Curry.

we are Guest

What do you guys think about Clint Sintim? Could he play MLB?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Frantz Joseph is a beast. He is a huge hitter and excellent against the run. He is my 2nd favorite LB in the draft the Rams need an intimidator and he definately is one.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Frantz Joseph is the most underrated player in the draft. He had the 2nd most tackles in the nation last year and was the leader on his team. He is the hardest hitter and is always around the ball. I do not want to see Curry inside, I want him outside opposite Spoon so he can be free to use all of his physical ability. We need a beast in the middle and make that Frantz.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

"Wow", I haven't herd his name mentioned. How about Jasper Brinkley MLB South Carolina in the 3rd Round.

Josh Mauga MLB Nevada in the 6th round. He could also play outside. Big with some speed 4.6 ,40.

Frantz Joseph MLB Flo. Atl. 6'3 235lbs ran a slow 40 time at proday 4.83. How will small school talent fair in the NFL.
    Last edited by Shan the Ram Man; -04-02-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Mooselini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I stopped reading once I saw that this was not another Curry thread

No but really, I suppose if we HAVE to settle on someone then I would take McKillop, he is a tackling machine.

Now to bring the focus back on Curry which is where it belongs , come on Moose you really think that it is that big of an experiment to shift from a SOLB to an MLB? There have been tons of farther moves that have panned out. Its not like moving from SS to LB or from DE to DT or LB, heck IMO its not even as bad as moving from RT to LT.
    I think an experiment with that high of a pick isn't a good thing. I completely understand that it isn't that big of a move. Say we do try him out at MLB and he isn't that good, so we move him to SOLB.

That still leaves us short at MLB.

Just take a player who is a natural at the position. A few good players have been named, all can play MLB and all have been playing MLB. I don't want to experiment any more.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Hey Mooselini
    You don't want to draft a QB Eric Crouch again to play WR in the NFL. Just a Example of the old front office BLUES they gave us over the years. I try to forget getting rid of DT Picket.
    Jasper Brinkley in the 3rd a true MLB.

Frantz is on my list because I think he is a very underrated player coming from a small school, but the guy has great talent. Hits hard, tackles well, and shows leadership ability. We could grab him as late as the 6th round if we wanted to.

Brinkley was once rated one of the top linebackers, but an injury set him back. (If I'm correct.) This guy has great size, and he plays the middle position well.

Another under-the-radar player IMO is Daniel Holtzclaw out of Eastern Michigan. He doesn't get much recgonition coming from a school like that, but the guy can tackle, and he's always around the ball. He could be hanging around when we pick in the 5th round.

Mckillop is still my guy to beat, but there are some close contenders closing in IMO. This year's middle linebackers aren't that bad. There's a lot of potential in the middle round guys.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

How will small school talent fair in the NFL? See my avatar? That guy came from John Carroll University and the Rams defense hasn't recovered since the great blunder by Lovie Smith happened when Jamie Duncan was brought in and London Fletcher (moment of silence) was let go.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    How will small school talent fair in the NFL? See my avatar? That guy came from John Carroll University and the Rams defense hasn't recovered since the great blunder by Lovie Smith happened when Jamie Duncan was brought in and London Fletcher (moment of silence) was let go.
    TX, As usual you are dead-on. London Fletcher was a terrific find for us and we let him slip away along with several other great players like Dre' Bly to name one.

I am confident that the talent evaluators currently in our FO will be able to identify future talent that is not always evident in the stats we see. Hotlzclaw or whomever we select will be a step forward. Incidentaly, what is the reading on Appleby of VA?

Go Rams!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I've been wondering after all the buzz on Curry, if by draft time the Rams feel they can deal with OT later in the draft or otherwise, might Spags envision Curry playing on the outside, thereby allowing him to move Aaron around forcing opposing teams to account for him - particularly on obvious passing downs? I can think of worse things than having Spoon and Curry on the outside, with Draft manning center field for a year. There is a good chance we might find a solid plugger for the middle in the later rounds who could learn behind Chris Draft in his rookie year. Draft was more than decent when he manned the middle for Carolina ... The argument about paying a linebacker 2nd overall money still stands, but if Spags and Devaney really see him as a "once every ten years" special player, the pick could be justifiable. Even more so if our FO dynamic duo feel that talentwise, Munroe or Smith do not warrant being selected #2 overall. Just a thought ...

See, the thing is, is that if we take Curry in the first round, we would ABSOLUTELY have to pick an OT in the second. The problem with that is, can we settle for a second-tier tackle. Britton and Beatty are gone by the first round most likely, and the tackles we would have left to consider are Loadholt (A cheaper, less potential version of Andre Smith IMO) and guys like Tupou, Kropog, and Cadogan.

I think that is the major concern about drafting Curry, is that can we find a tackle we feel comfortable with in the second round, and can the guy be plugged in and make an immediate impact.

So what I'm saying is that if we decide to ditch Curry, and get Smith or Monroe, we would have plenty more freedom with our other picks, especially our second round pick, to grab a DT, MLB, CB, or WR. If we take Curry instead, we would be restricted to an OT in the second. But by no means am I implying that we should not take Curry. I think the guy has amazing potential and talent, and his work ethics is incredible, along with his aggressiveness and ball skills.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -04-02-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast