Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Mike Maycock on the NFL Network

I plopped down in front of the NFL Network while eating dinner, and Mike Maycock of the NFL Network discussed his thoughts on the draft. I have to say, he made some off the wall statements.

He claimed that Matt Ryan is the best player in the draft. He also said that Darren McFadden should not be picked in the top 20.

He described Chris Long and Vernon Gholston as similar players. He said the same about Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey.

His top 5 players were:
    1. Matt Ryan
    2. Sedrick Ellis
    3. Chris Long
    4. Glenn Dorsey
    5. ? (I think Jake Long was #6, can't remember who #5 was)

Anyway, some of his comments seemed kinda weird. Anybody seem similar comments from other sources?

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Maycock on the NFL Network

Uh, shoudln't be drafted in the top 20? This kid has talent that rivals AP, and is better than Reggie Bush. Matt Ryan may be the best Quarterback, but best player is way off. Maybe he's joking>

39thebeast is offline Registered User

who is this guy? Does he know anything about football?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I googled him, and he was being touted as the NFL Network's counter to Mel Kiper.

For what it's worth, here are his rankings by position. Notice that McFadden is not even the top RB prospect in his opinion.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I like Mike Mayock. He is a world of knowledge especially during the combine shows.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Mel Kipper of NFl network. Wow if this is the best NFL Network can do they really need to step their game up. I don't see how can even say that Mendehall is even close to being as good as McFaddden. McFadden is better than Reggie Bush and is in the same league as Adrian Peterson. DaJuan Morgan over Kenny Phillips come on. Philips is the best Safety in the class and miles ahead of Morgan.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'd say that the fact you're all talking about his comments shows precisely why he's successful at his job. Saying McFadden is good won't score ratings or website hits. Saying that Ryan is the best player will accomplish just that.

ENN107 is offline Registered User

chiguy nailed it. If Mayock had McFadden number one then how else will he stand out from the rest

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I had heard someone on a sports radio show say that the Dolphins would go after Matt Ryan with the first pick. If so we'll be able to draft whomever we want.

Imho Jonathan Stewart from Oregon might be the best RB in the draft. So many of the west coast players don't get any east coast love because a lot of the west coast games don't even get started before the east coast guys are writing their Sunday paper articles.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's really not that crazy. Todd McShay, who works for Scouts Inc and appears regularly on ESPN as a draft analyst, thinks that Ryan is a legitimate option for the Dolphins as well. He also thinks Jake Long has a shot, too, for what that's worth.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I've said it before, and I'll say it again........Mike Mayock is one of the top 3 draftniks in this world or any other. The other two members of that triumverant would be Scott Wright (of nfldraftcountdown.com) and Nick (of ourownbackyard.com).

Call Mayock crazy if you like (I personally can't imagine D-Mc outside the top 20), but he consistently hits on picks that nobody else calls. Who else called Whitner and Sims in the top 10?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I love Mendenhall. He could very well be better tham McFadden. They're similar in style, and close to AP. Rashard Mendenhall is my pick for rookie of the year already. If you're looking close at Dorsey/Ellis, you can do the same to Mendenhall. Should be the second back taken.

It is crazy to call Matt Ryan the best player in the draft. However it is a weak class for quarterback, it's like the Alex Smith Aaron Rodgers draft. I don't know how many people wanna say Alex Smith is the best player in that draft.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I'd say that the fact you're all talking about his comments shows precisely why he's successful at his job. Saying McFadden is good won't score ratings or website hits. Saying that Ryan is the best player will accomplish just that.
    This right here sums it all up. Shocking opinions get viewers talking and that's his job. If he just rehashed everyone elses top players as his, it wouldn't be very worthwhile TV to watch in February.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I like Mike Mayock. He is a world of knowledge especially during the combine shows.
    I like him also, was all of Cutler last year.