Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mike Wallace , WR RFA -- Pittsburgh Steelers

richtree is offline Registered User

Mike Wallace , WR RFA -- Pittsburgh Steelers

Mike Wallace is a premier speed burner at the WR position and would compliment any of the bigger guys in the draft.....

The Steelers have serious Cap concerns and have too many bad contracts....

Mike Wallace could be stolen away if someone gives him a long term deal ....

I think is speed would work great for the WCO......

also, Wallace would take all the pressure off of Jeffery, Floyd, Blackmon, Kendricks., or whoever would be on the other side...

I think Mike Wallace is a much better DeSean Jackson.....and less diva....

Right now Adam Scheftler says it is a 50/50 chance he is out ....

Rams could start off the offseason with a bang...
    ManofGod likes this.

Re: Mike Wallace , WR RFA -- Pittsburgh Steelers

and if it is a Round 1 Tender...We could trade up for a second pick in round 1 --

just an idea...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If he was a FA I'd put all the chips in on him right away. Exactly what we need. A tall burner but with a good attitude unlike DeSean Jackson. Wallace is probably the fastest WR in the league but we can't pull it off. I'm pretty sure you must give up a 1st rounder thats equivalent to you're pick (#2).
    TekeRam and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If he was a FA I'd put all the chips in on him right away. Exactly what we need. A tall burner but with a good attitude unlike DeSean Jackson. Wallace is probably the fastest WR in the league but we can't pull it off. I'm pretty sure you must give up a 1st rounder thats equivalent to you're pick (#2).

He is a restricted free agent. You do not get to trade down or trade up in the 1st round and give the steelers which ever 1st round pick you choose. If you make the offer and it's accepted and not matched then you lose your pick in the draft.

Would love to have Wallace but the picks they would have to give up for him is not the way you build for the future.

Go Rams
    ManofGod likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Beat me to it, definitely an interesting scenario. Shame this wasn't last season. Easily could've given up the #15.

Though if we couldn't trade down he is more proven than Blackmon, but it's a moot point, as I think we will ultimately trade down, cause someones gotta love RG

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    He is a restricted free agent. You do not get to trade down or trade up in the 1st round and give the steelers which ever 1st round pick you choose. If you make the offer and it's accepted and not matched then you lose your pick in the draft.

Would love to have Wallace but the picks they would have to give up for him is not the way you build for the future.

Go Rams
    Are you sure ? I kind find any info about this....

plus the steelers said

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are willing to let restricted free agent Mike Wallace test the open market.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As Sosa mentioned, you must give up YOUR pick in the equivalent round(almost certainly 1st) or higher. So no matter what picks we might pick up in the draft, we would have to give up the #2 pick. Also, the RFA tenders are processed before the draft, so we couldn't even trade around during the draft before giving up said pick.

Nice idea, but no way, now how. My bet is that he's going to the Patriots. #31 pick for Wallace? Absolutely. With the Steelers' cap problems, they probably can't match a contract with a large salary this year.
    I believe!

The one thing that is interesting though, is that if we are met with a soft market for the pick (doubtful), as much as I love Blackmons potential, Mike Wallace has already proven to be a top 5-10 receiver in the league.

Ok, but the RFA calendar shows that the player needs to be signed with his new team (aka, offer needs to be passed over by the original team) by the 21st of April. Meaning that we need to decide to give up our #2 pick almost 2 weeks before the draft. Do you think that we'll really have a gauge on who will pay the most 2 weeks before the draft? Will we pull the trigger that far away?

I think not.
    I believe!

Well, if he is restricted at round 1 -- no way....Round 2 -- hell yes!!!!!!!!! --- plus we would have the best to offer as a 2nd rounder.....

I know we need alot of pieces...but if it is a round 2 tender and we trade down for multiple picks in round 1...this gives us the liberty to add 3 legit pieces immediately...I know the Wallace situation is tough...but I just wanted to talk about it in case there is anyway we could get him for our Round 2 pick

Richtree, here is the restricted tenders for 2012. You will see that the Steelers will not tender him at the 2nd round level as it is only $800,000 to bring that to a #1. Further, the Steelers are most likely going to do whatever they can to sign him long term and at worst, they will franchise him because of what I said earlier in that the Pats would make a move.

1.260 M$ - ROFR
    1.260 M$ - ROFR & original selection
    1.927 M$ - ROFR & 2nd round selection
    2.742 M$ - ROFR & 1st round selection

They have until he signs the tender to get under the cap or to sign him long term, or if they can swing it, trade his rights. He will NOT be available for a 2nd round pick. To think so insults the intelligence of one of the best franchises in the league.
    I believe!

Well, then a sign and trade may be an option for a 2013 First round pickk?

I would do that

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If we could get Wallace for a 2nd I'd give it in a heartbeat. Seeing as that isn't possible, there isn't a chance I'd give #2 for him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    plus the steelers said

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are willing to let restricted free agent Mike Wallace test the open market.
    My guess is that they mean they're not going to try and lock him up long term, but rather will tender him and then see if anyone tries to give him an offer sheet.

But yeah, I'm not trading the second overall pick for Mike Wallace straight up. If we were picking in the teens or twenties, I'd definitely give it strong consideration. But I don't think you do it when you're picking second overall.

Now,

Heres an interesting hypothetical, though probably unlikely.

Let's say Pittsburgh starts exploring the option before the deadline for tenders, and are content with the fact they are going to lose Wallace to the first round tender. They start calling interested parties, and only for instance, two teams show interest: Balt and NE.

If you are Pittsburgh, you call St. Louis, and see if they would offer over the 2.1 for Mike Wallace. That would be only two spots back from NE, and would prevent a rival/contender from getting him. Of course, this is based on the fact that three teams show interest StL, Bal, Ne.

Just an interesting hypothetical, were it may be in the best interest of Pittsburgh to tender him at the second round level, knowing a team like St Louis would get him, and keeping a contender from ponying up a late first rounder. Pittsburgh could also use that 2.1 to trade down and garner extra picks.

This option would allow the Rams to explore other options with that first round pick, and a trade down would be even more valuable.

Thoughts on this hypothetical yet unlikely scenario?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast