Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mike Wallace , WR RFA -- Pittsburgh Steelers

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Wallace , WR RFA -- Pittsburgh Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Now,

Heres an interesting hypothetical, though probably unlikely.

Let's say Pittsburgh starts exploring the option before the deadline for tenders, and are content with the fact they are going to lose Wallace to the first round tender. They start calling interested parties, and only for instance, two teams show interest: Balt and NE.

If you are Pittsburgh, you call St. Louis, and see if they would offer over the 2.1 for Mike Wallace. That would be only two spots back from NE, and would prevent a rival/contender from getting him. Of course, this is based on the fact that three teams show interest StL, Bal, Ne.

Just an interesting hypothetical, were it may be in the best interest of Pittsburgh to tender him at the second round level, knowing a team like St Louis would get him, and keeping a contender from ponying up a late first rounder. Pittsburgh could also use that 2.1 to trade down and garner extra picks.

This option would allow the Rams to explore other options with that first round pick, and a trade down would be even more valuable.

Thoughts on this hypothetical yet unlikely scenario?
    It sounds perfect but most probably perfect because you said it... "unlikely" haha. But if this were to happen, I doubt anyone of us would mind.

Hopefully the next move after that Cleveland does pull the trigger and send us 1.4 and 1.22 for 1.2

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Wallace just put up 72 catches with an average of over 16 ypc and 8 TDs. You know without a doubt he has that type of NFL production. Plus you add in blinding speed to spread the defense (making Jackson face 7 men in the box instead of 8 or 9) and open up the under routes for Salas and Amendola?

Blackmon in a best case scenario isn't much higher and the floor is FAR lower.

I'd MUCH rather have Wallace than Blackmon. JMO

Wallace - Rookie of the Year and already been to the Pro-Bowl
    Blackmon - people would prefer a prospect over a guarantee.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -02-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    C-Mob 71 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Wallace just put up 72 catches with an average of over 16 ypc and 8 TDs. You know without a doubt he has that type of NFL production. Plus you add in blinding speed to spread the defense (making Jackson face 7 men in the box instead of 8 or 9) and open up the under routes for Salas and Amendola?

Blackmon in a best case scenario isn't much higher and the floor is FAR lower.

I'd MUCH rather have Wallace than Blackmon. JMO

Wallace - Rookie of the Year and already been to the Pro-Bowl
    Blackmon - people would prefer a prospect over a guarantee.
    Right. The more I am starting to think about this, if we don't end up trading the second overall pick, and Wallace goes to another team I'll kind of be upset, because I would rather have Wallace than Blackmon or Kalil at 2.

We know what Wallace is, and that's a top 5 receiver..TODAY

Having said all this, I don't see a scenario were we don't trade the 1.2. So I will be content with whomever we get.

I am still strongly in team Blackmons camp.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -02-22-2012 at 04:38 PM.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

What if there was a trade worked out?
    Rams trade:
    1st round pick
    Rights to Llyod

Steelers trade:
    1st round pick
    Rights to Wallace

I think it might be realistic when you think about trading our pick for multiple 1st rounders.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd rather take Wallace than Blackmon straight up. But when it comes to #2 for Wallace, absolutely no way. The #2 pick has to be a monster and a total dominant player.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The problem is that you'd never trade the 1.2 pick for a guy you aren't 100% sure you'll sign to a long-term contract. Hard to negotiate a deal like that. It's pretty much a killer fan wise for the Rams to trade the 1.2 pick. Fans LOVE the allure of a prospect.

People keep saying the Browns will trade up. Why? The Vikings are fine with their QB. The Browns would only be worried about someone like the Redskins moving up for RG3. It's exceptionally rare for a team to trade up like that to be proactive in preventing another team from trading up. If the Rams trade, they are moving back to 6 or further.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Trade down with Cleveland, pick up Blackmon, trade out of #22 spot for Wallace if its a first round tender and there you have it. Then you have your "Warner + HOLT + BRUCE" combo (only better) for next 6-8 years.

And we all know how well those guys did together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    Trade down with Cleveland, pick up Blackmon, trade out of #22 spot for Wallace if its a first round tender and there you have it. Then you have your "Warner + HOLT + BRUCE" combo (only better) for next 6-8 years.

And we all know how well those guys did together.
    Only better? What sort of a sick joke is that? All 3 of those guys will be HOFers soon, while Bradford hasn't proved anything, Wallace has made 1 pro bowl, and Blackmon hasn't even touched an NFL field...

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Only better? What sort of a sick joke is that? All 3 of those guys will be HOFers soon, while Bradford hasn't proved anything, Wallace has made 1 pro bowl, and Blackmon hasn't even touched an NFL field...
    Clearly over-stated then, my apologies. Drank to much kool-aid this morning maybe. Anyways i would be excited by the combo in Rams uniforms.

What sort of a sick joke is that?
    People may not have god-like wisdom and all-knowing knowledge like yourself sosa, but some people have a clue. Just a lapse, we are human .. i mean apart from you.

Chill Pill. Please take one ... or three

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    Clearly over-stated then, my apologies. Drank to much kool-aid this morning maybe. Anyways i would be excited by the combo in Rams uniforms.

People may not have god-like wisdom and all-knowing knowledge like yourself sosa, but some people have a clue. Just a lapse, we are human .. i mean apart from you.

Chill Pill. Please take one ... or three
    I was joking brother.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

If we could have Wallace, Blackmon, and Ammendola on the field next year, our wide receiver corp changes from the worst in the league to arguably one of the best. I mean come on, that's a perfect group, speedster to stretch the field, big possession guy, and a tremendous slot player.

Heck I would consider tendering Wallace with pick 1.2. He is 25 years old for goodness sakes! He is still a "developing prospect", the only difference is, we know what we are developing. If you are willing to draft Blackmon at number 2, I can't see why you wouldn't "draft" Mike Wallace there as well.

Oh this is why I love the offseason, coming up with all these crazy scenarios that make so much sense we know they will never happen.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Steelers just freed up $8M by restructuring Big Ben's contract. Expect a Franchise tag now and maybe a long term deal later.
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Do you all honestly believe the Steelers were going to allow Wallace, to leave for the Rams. Ooo.K I would be elated to get him, but feel it very unrealistic. The best way to get players of this quality, is to draft them. Then they have no choice but to play for us, cheaply. Now go find em Fishead. Unfortunately the previous regimes scouts are doing the dirty work, as Fisher hasn't had the time yet. Im hopeful as always, so well see.???
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

GD39, I hope that you're leaving me out of the "you all", as I was trying to explain how there was no way that they would let him go, and no way that we'd use our 1.2 pick on him.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    GD39, I hope that you're leaving me out of the "you all", as I was trying to explain how there was no way that they would let him go, and no way that we'd use our 1.2 pick on him.
    I know Teke, not you. Im only messing about.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-24-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12