THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Mike Williams Syracuse

I don't know about you all, but I am REALLY excited to see this kid at the combine this weekend. He has the tools to be a SUPERSTAR, just needs an attitude check. Wes Bunting of the National Football post said his skill set was similar to Brandon Marshall...I think Mike Williams could be a great low risk high reward type of pick in round 3. What do all of you think?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Williams Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I don't know about you all, but I am REALLY excited to see this kid at the combine this weekend. He has the tools to be a SUPERSTAR, just needs an attitude check. Wes Bunting of the National Football post said his skill set was similar to Brandon Marshall...I think Mike Williams could be a great low risk high reward type of pick in round 3. What do all of you think?
    Definitely has talent, probably the 2nd best receiver after Dez Bryant. But low risk!?!?!?! Not at all!! the guy quit on his team. We are going to have to do some major questioning of his character find out what really happened before I would be comfortable taking him. To me its more like high risk high reward.

I agree he is the second best WR behind dez. Really can't wait to see him @ the combine and I meant to say high risk high reward. Definitely high risk but I feel like the reward could be huge if he is mentored by a guy like Spags. Also agree that we would need to do our due diligence on why he quit half way thru this season. Part of it may have been the fact that Greg Paulus who played basketball @ duke for four years was his starting QB lol. That's my best guess atleast.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Tholtfan, ANOTHER player with character issues?! You're starting to sound like the Bengals!

That being said, being that I am the house SU fan and season ticket holder, I have seen this kid's skills first hand. Even though I have mixed feelings for him personally (he did quit the team after all), he has a TON of talent and I wouldn't mind us grabbing him. He's big, strong, and runs great routes. He had a few drops at the beginning of the season, but thats probably from rust having been suspended the season before. After a couple games he was catching everything in sight. I mean this guy caught 10 touchdowns in 2007 with Andrew Robinson throwing him the ball. ANDREW FREAKIN ROBINSON!

Still, between being suspended for a year in '08, being suspended for a game in '09 and then quitting the team, I would be VERY surprised if he fits in as a "4 pillars" kind of player.

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Tholtfan, ANOTHER player with character issues?! You're starting to sound like the Bengals!

That being said, being that I am the house SU fan and season ticket holder, I have seen this kid's skills first hand. Even though I have mixed feelings for him personally (he did quit the team after all), he has a TON of talent and I wouldn't mind us grabbing him. He's big, strong, and runs great routes. He had a few drops at the beginning of the season, but thats probably from rust having been suspended the season before. After a couple games he was catching everything in sight. I mean this guy caught 10 touchdowns in 2007 with Andrew Robinson throwing him the ball. ANDREW FREAKIN ROBINSON!

Still, between being suspended for a year in '08, being suspended for a game in '09 and then quitting the team, I would be VERY surprised if he fits in as a "4 pillars" kind of player.
    I knew I was gonna get this response from someone lol. To shut down rumors no I don't want plax or pacman . Thanks for the insight though from an SU fan cmh. I would give you positive rep if I had power right now and wasn't sending this from my phone lol

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Here is an article I snagged off of yahoo sports that addresses Williams quitting the team:

INDIANAPOLIS ó Wearing a serious expression on his face and staring a questioner directly in the eye, Syracuse wide receiver Mike Williams wanted to make one point emphatically clear.

ďI didnít quit,Ē Williams said today at the NFL scouting combine. ĒI just want everybody to know I didnít quit.Ē

Williamsí mysterious departure from the Syracuse football team has been cloaked in relative secrecy. According to a league source, Williams had a serious falling-out with coach Doug Marrone that ended his tenure with the Orangemen.

Williams wasnít exactly the only scholarship player to leave the program since Marroneís arrival. There were a lot of players who didnít stay, but itís still an important matter for Williams to explain to the NFL.

Wiliams declined to elaborate on the reasons why he didnít complete his career at Syracuse, but said heís been honest and forthright with NFL teams.

"Iíve been talking to all the NFL teams about that, I want to leave it at that," Williams said. "I want everybody to know is I didnít quit. Iíll leave that story at that. All the teams know the whole story. I donít want to make it a big media story."

Williams is an athletic 6-foot-2, 220-pounder. Just watch his YouTube video where he beats NBA player Donte Greene in a slam-dunk contest on the Syracuse campus.

Williamsí draft stock could rise with a solid round of interviews and a fast 40-yard dash time. Heís expected to test extremely well here at Lucas Oil Stadium. And heís projected anywhere from the second round to the third round currently.

He predicted that heíll run the 40-yard dash in the 4.4 range.

"Everybody thinks Iím going to run a 4.5 because I weighed in at 220," he said. "If I can run a 4.4, I can move up a whole lot."

Williams has been working out at API Performance in Pensacola, Fla., to prepare for the combine, catching passes from Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour.

"Weíve been out there throwing a lot," Williams said. "Sam Bradford is out there too, but heís not really throwing like that. Basically itís been Dan LeFevour.Ē

At Syracuse, Williams played for three head coaches and four offensive coordinators.

"It was kind of hard, but I got through it," Williams said.

Williams didnít shy away from discussing some of his issues at Syracuse, which included a suspension for an academic violation.

"I want to let them know that Iím a nice person, Iím a good person," Williams said. "School was just my problem. I had bad judgment when I was young. School has been my problem, I want to let them know I can play football and be there for that team."

He said he has scheduled a meeting with the Baltimore Ravens, but has yet to meet with the Buffalo Bills. He has also met with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the St. Louis Rams.

Williams expressed confidence that heíll succeed in the NFL.

"I think Iím ready to play at the next level," he said. "I think I can compete out there, but itís hard to tell. The biggest adjustment is going against corners who have the same talent as me and adjusting to that speed."

Williams is determined to succeed after growing up in a tough part of Buffalo in a single-parent household. For the most part, it was just him and his mom.

"We were kind of in a rough neighborhood, it was kind of hard," Williams said. "My uncle took me under his wing and let me know thatís not the way I want to go and I took the college route."

And now heís trying to run a fly pattern into the NFL after taking a detour this past season.

If Williams can convince teams that any trouble from the past will remain in the past, he could make an impact in this league with his size and ability to run after the catch.
    Last edited by cfh128; -02-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Here is an article I snagged off of yahoo sports that addresses Williams quitting the team:

INDIANAPOLIS ó Wearing a serious expression on his face and staring a questioner directly in the eye, Syracuse wide receiver Mike Williams wanted to make one point emphatically clear.

ďI didnít quit,Ē Williams said today at the NFL scouting combine. ĒI just want everybody to know I didnít quit.Ē

Williamsí mysterious departure from the Syracuse football team has been cloaked in relative secrecy. According to a league source, Williams had a serious falling-out with coach Doug Marrone that ended his tenure with the Orangemen.

Williams wasnít exactly the only scholarship player to leave the program since Marroneís arrival. There were a lot of players who didnít stay, but itís still an important matter for Williams to explain to the NFL.

Wiliams declined to elaborate on the reasons why he didnít complete his career at Syracuse, but said heís been honest and forthright with NFL teams.

"Iíve been talking to all the NFL teams about that, I want to leave it at that," Williams said. "I want everybody to know is I didnít quit. Iíll leave that story at that. All the teams know the whole story. I donít want to make it a big media story."

Williams is an athletic 6-foot-2, 220-pounder. Just watch his YouTube video where he beats NBA player Donte Greene in a slam-dunk contest on the Syracuse campus.

Williamsí draft stock could rise with a solid round of interviews and a fast 40-yard dash time. Heís expected to test extremely well here at Lucas Oil Stadium. And heís projected anywhere from the second round to the third round currently.

He predicted that heíll run the 40-yard dash in the 4.4 range.

"Everybody thinks Iím going to run a 4.5 because I weighed in at 220," he said. "If I can run a 4.4, I can move up a whole lot."

Williams has been working out at API Performance in Pensacola, Fla., to prepare for the combine, catching passes from Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour.

"Weíve been out there throwing a lot," Williams said. "Sam Bradford is out there too, but heís not really throwing like that. Basically itís been Dan LeFevour.Ē

At Syracuse, Williams played for three head coaches and four offensive coordinators.

"It was kind of hard, but I got through it," Williams said.

Williams didnít shy away from discussing some of his issues at Syracuse, which included a suspension for an academic violation.

"I want to let them know that Iím a nice person, Iím a good person," Williams said. "School was just my problem. I had bad judgment when I was young. School has been my problem, I want to let them know I can play football and be there for that team."

He said he has scheduled a meeting with the Baltimore Ravens, but has yet to meet with the Buffalo Bills. He has also met with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the St. Louis Rams.

Williams expressed confidence that heíll succeed in the NFL.

"I think Iím ready to play at the next level," he said. "I think I can compete out there, but itís hard to tell. The biggest adjustment is going against corners who have the same talent as me and adjusting to that speed."

Williams is determined to succeed after growing up in a tough part of Buffalo in a single-parent household. For the most part, it was just him and his mom.

"We were kind of in a rough neighborhood, it was kind of hard," Williams said. "My uncle took me under his wing and let me know thatís not the way I want to go and I took the college route."

And now heís trying to run a fly pattern into the NFL after taking a detour this past season.

If Williams can convince teams that any trouble from the past will remain in the past, he could make an impact in this league with his size and ability to run after the catch.
    THANKS AGAIN DUDE! Really happy we interviewed him...I think this guy could be an absolute STEAL!

We could use this:
    YouTube - Mike Williams TD, SU vs. Cincinnati
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -02-27-2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added video

Ran an unofficial 4.49 and 4.56 40s.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -02-28-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added second time

richtree is offline Registered User

way too many off the field issues.

Benn is #2 WR btw

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    way too many off the field issues.

Benn is #2 WR btw
    Benn looks good too, this is a great year cause it is really deep for WRs.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Benn looks good too, this is a great year cause it is really deep for WRs.
    Yeah, it is deep for many postitions.

The Rams should expect solid picks in the first 4 rounds of all potential starters.