Let's see...

Pass-rushing DE: Check
    Speed WRs: Check
    OL depth and potential future RT: Check
    CB depth: check
    KR/PR potential: check
    Special Teams/LB/SS depth: check
    Developmental QB: nope

I am a bit surprised that the Rams didn't take a QB. I think they could have afforded to do so in the 4th or 5th round. Perhaps they just didn't see the value. I think they could regret it as Trent Green winds down and the team realizes it has nobody to groom behind Marc Bulger.

Still, when you look at the goals and what was accomplished, you have to be pretty happy. Some will quibble over passing on Dorsey, makin Avery the first WR taken, or the criticism some media people have placed upon King. Most of that is meaningless. There is no shortage of busts who were raved about the day after the draft and Pro Bowl players who were called "reaches" or worse.

In the end, the Rams had needs to fill, and made a solid effort at filling them. Gone was the whimsy of taking two TEs before the 4th round, taking a FB/RB combo in Round 2 with much bigger needs looming, or players considered "projects."

Just a strong group of players in need positions.

What more can you for ask at this point? (I mean, other than a developmental QB)

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Mission Accomplished... Almost

I agree with most of that Avenger, although I would've liked to have seen Corey Chavous's replacement.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Great points. Lets see how it all turns out, hopefully we hit some gems with all of our picks.

I would say AV that we also needed to address S as I think Chavous made some really bad plays last year. Hopefully we can find one of these in the rest of the FA.

Also like the undrafted FB signing of Brandon McAnderson. At least give us a get the best FB situation we can, all we need is a couple of blocks a series, Jackson will do the rest!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think the QB is next year. The safety couldve been this season however...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I still do not see Greco becoming our future RT. Unless Barron is the heir apparent to Pace, we still lost out on Jake who we wanted this year. That tells me next year, if Pace struggles or gets hurt again, we will take one from the group which looks to be Oher, Boone, Smith or Loadholt as our future LT.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think it is mission accomplished...almost. What I'm guessing we'll see next year, especially if Barron doesn't set the world ablaze, is an OT very early. If Greco is to be our future RT (here's hoping) then what I'll assume we'll see if Pace retires is Barron playing the final year of his contract out on the left side, and our rookie (God knows who just yet. Michael Oher is an early tip) having a year to learn the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I still do not see Greco becoming our future RT. Unless Barron is the heir apparent to Pace, we still lost out on Jake who we wanted this year...
    Didn't you say you were going to cry if we took Jake Long? Or it would wreck your weekend? Here's a swift turn of events

chiguy is offline Registered User

I still do not see Greco becoming our future RT. Unless Barron is the heir apparent to Pace, we still lost out on Jake who we wanted this year. That tells me next year, if Pace struggles or gets hurt again, we will take one from the group which looks to be Oher, Boone, Smith or Loadholt as our future LT.
    Fair point on Greco, but I still like the pick because at worst he becomes a depth player who can play at 4 of 5 line spots.

Next year we'll need a tackle, SLB, safety, and developmental QB.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Jake who???

general counsel is offline Registered User

we probably didnt get a future starter at strong safety. You cant get everything in one draft, i think we did an amazing job addressing our short and long term needs

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    we probably didnt get a future starter at strong safety. You cant get everything in one draft, i think we did an amazing job addressing our short and long term needs

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Exactly GC. I would like to add that with an improved front 4 on defense (Drafting Chris Long, Leonard Little coming back and Adam Carriker staying in the middle) our secondary will be better. The opposing QB's are going to be feeling the pressure all day LONG!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

SS is a need, but there was not much depth at that position. I would have liked to have seen Josh Barrett, but clearly there is some red flag with him that scared a lot of teams off.

What I like about Greco is that, if he is not our future RT, he definitely has potential to be a starting RG.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I could be way off base here, but I still think it would be worth it to pull in undrafted QB Ryan O'Hara from Oklahoma and see if he's worth developing. What I've seen from this kid (of course me being nothing near a pro level scout) makes me think he's at least worth checking out, especially since it won't even cost a draft pick now. Just my 2 cents.

general counsel is offline Registered User

As usual, avenger makes an astute and often overlooked observation. Just because a player is the 2nd or 3rd best available prospect at a position of need (ie ss) doesnt mean that he is a potential starter. Why take a guy who plays that position if you dont think he is good enough to fill the need when a guy who can fill a need is available at another position. A lot of this comes down to best player available vs pure need.

I am sure that at some point within the next 5 years we will either draft or sign a replacement for chaveous.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

keith m. klink Guest

I'm sure that all teams ( RAMS included ) were on the phone with players giving them an invite to there camp if they were not drafted . As you may have seen on ESPN , a RB from div. II, danny woodhead was being called and having a conversation as MR . irrelivant was being picked .

The RAMS have talked to FA already and i'm sure a developemental QB or 3 will be brought in , and remember that some of the late round picks will be set free after camp.. which might turn out a hidden gem thats let loose . EX: K.WARNER/ FA , M. BULGER 6th rd cut by SAINTS ) get the picture .

As for safety , this CHAIMBERLAN kid is said to be a special teams guy and will start working at lb , but he was also mentioned as a possible switch to safety . There is also a LINEHAN idea of having ERIC BASSEY move from corner to safety .

CB's - HILL- BROWN - WADE - BARTELL - KING

S's - ATAGWE - CHAVOUS - JOHNSON - CARTER

which in LINEHANS opinion they should have 4-good corners . Maybe BROWN might make himself unavailable and we will still have 4 - corners and in a emergency , the always dependable E. BASSEY can slide back over .

RANDYRAM Guest

It would be nice if the coach didn't cut the only FB and make that a need position
    and same with TE position !!!
    I think we could have used DE 6'8" 285 lbs Calais Campbell rd 2 and a good WR in rd 3
    I would like another young DE we already have several young WRs.
    As for the whole draft I can't complain to much!!!

It doesn't do any good!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast