Thread: Mock 2.0

msha is offline Registered User

Mock 2.0

First, the Rams trade Adam Carriker to the Redskins for DE Andre Carter.

Round 1: Ndamukong Suh, DT Nebraska - The Rams lose some depth with trading Carriker. Also, Suh is the BPA.

Round 2: Rob Gronkowski, TE Arizona - Fells was resigned, but as a No. 2 TE. Gronkowski is a big, reliable target up the middle.

Round 3: Toby Gerhart, RB Stanford - Ideally, Best or Dwyer would fall to us here. Assuming they don't, a Jackson/Gerhart pounding up the middle isn't bad either.

Round 4: Javier Arenas, CB Alabama - We have Bartell and Fletcher, but Arenas will provide good depth and start if Fletcher can't come back. He also provides a special teams spark.

Round 5: Rennie Curran, OLB Georgia - Curran is a little undersized at 5'11, 205 lbs, but always seems to be near the ball. Good tackler, but his only problem was that he didn't make many big plays, with 6 sacks, 2 ff, and 0 int. in 3 years at UGA.

Round 5: Danario Alexander, WR Missouri - A big receiver at 6'4, but not a very good route runner with a history of knee injuries. With the proper coaching, he can turn into an NFL receiver.

Round 6: Kurtis Gregory, OG Missouri - An experienced 3 year starter who was good in the classroom and in interviews. He would provide good depth at guard.

Round 7: O'Brien Schofield, DE Wisconsin - A projected 2nd-3rd rounder before tearing an ACL during a senior bowl practice. Put him on IR for 2010 and then go from there.

Round 7: Levi Horn, OT Montana - A big 6'7 OT from FCS powerhouse Montana would provide depth at tackle.

2010 Depth Chart:

QB: Marc Bulger/AJ Feeley/Keith Null
    RB: Steven Jackson/Toby Gerhart/Kenneth Darby
    FB: Mike Karney
    WR: Laurant Robinson/Donnie Avery/Brandon Gibson/Keenan Burtan/Danario Alexander
    TE: Rob Gronkowski/Daniel Fells/Billy Bajema
    LT: Jason Smith/Alex Barron
    LG: Jacob Bell/Kurtis Gregory
    C: Jason Brown
    RG: John Greco/Kurtis Gregory
    RT: Adam Goldberg/Levi Horn
    DE: Chris Long/Andre Carter/Leonard Little
    DT: Ndamukong Suh/Clifton Ryan/Fred Robbins
    OLB: David Vobora/Rennie Curran/Paris Lenon
    MLB: James Laurainaitis
    CB: Ron Bartell/Bradley Fletcher/Javier Arenas
    FS: OJ Atogwe/Craig Dahl
    SS: James Butler/Craig Dahl
    K: Josh Brown
    P: Donnie Jones
    KR: Danny Amendola
    PR: Javier Arenas

What do you think?
    Last edited by msha; -03-13-2010 at 06:10 PM.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Mock 2.0

No QB? Anywhere?

JimmyG37 Guest

I wouldn't be happy with that draft. I like Suh and value the DT position, but we need a quarterback. If we don't go with Bradford at #1, we have to take a QB in rounds 2 or 3. We currently do not have a QB on the roster that I, or most other people for that matter, would feel comfortable sending out this season. I don't have confidence in Bulger, Feely is a backup who I would be OK starting for a few weeks while a rookie got acclimated, and Null didn't show me much at the end of this season that made me think he is anything other than a 2nd stringer at best in the NFL.

Another weakness that I didn't think was adequately addressed was WR. Given his injuries, I would probably omit Danario Alexander completely from my draft board, or at least until around round 7. He also wouldn't be the only WR I took in this draft.

All in all, our offense was downright pathetic last season, and this mock failed to address the QB and WR positions, which need a lot of help.

msha is offline Registered User

I knew I would take heat for the QB situation, and maybe rightfully so. I know that we need somebody sooner rather than later, but regardless of who we draft with the number 1 pick this year, we will not threaten to make the playoffs next year, which means we will have a top 10 pick in the 2011 draft. That means Locker, Mallet, and Keenum will most likely be available to draft next year. As for the WR position, I don't think adding more inexperience will help, so I added depth in the later round. If we could somehow get Dez Bryant, I would definately get him, but that won't happen. The Rams need a veteran WR to help the younger guys, but there aren't many out there, so either get a guy like T.O. or stay with what you have, and I stayed with what we have.

thickandthin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by msha View Post
    I knew I would take heat for the QB situation, and maybe rightfully so. I know that we need somebody sooner rather than later, but regardless of who we draft with the number 1 pick this year, we will not threaten to make the playoffs next year, which means we will have a top 10 pick in the 2011 draft. That means Locker, Mallet, and Keenum will most likely be available to draft next year. As for the WR position, I don't think adding more inexperience will help, so I added depth in the later round. If we could somehow get Dez Bryant, I would definately get him, but that won't happen. The Rams need a veteran WR to help the younger guys, but there aren't many out there, so either get a guy like T.O. or stay with what you have, and I stayed with what we have.
    I agree with not adding another unproven WR, but we need to get a QB in the 2nd or 3rd if we don't take Bradford, why is everyone down on Bradford? he was supposedly supposed to go before Stafford last year. why is he not the clear cut #1 this year? I know Suh is good but we have a better DT line with the addition of Robbins.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by msha View Post

Assuming where any team in the NFL will be the following year is unwise. The league is set up for any one team to turn around quickly, and trying to project where our team will be a year from now can easily lead to problems.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

It's good but I'm not a big Gerhart fan. I'd rather get a DE at Round 3.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Warner4prez Guest

Why waste a 5th round pick on an admittedly undersized and underachieving OLB? Otherwise I like most of this mock, at least which rounds you're drafting these positions. I would like to see a QB taken, but I could see this working out.