Rambos is offline Registered User

Mock draft Blackmon off the board

Mock draft Blackmon off the board.

#6) Trent Richardson RB

#33) Stephen Hill WR

#39) Zach Brown OLB

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Mock draft Blackmon off the board

If Blackmon isn't on the board I would STRONGLY approve of this off-season.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Everything is solid except the Zach Brown pick.

Lavonte David is the superior linebacker prospect. The only thing Brown has David beat is his height.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Everything is solid except the Zach Brown pick.

Lavonte David is the superior linebacker prospect. The only thing Brown has David beat is his height.
    David - #4 - OLB-SS
    Height: 6-0 5/8
    Weight: 233
    Speed: 4.63
    Arm: 31 3/4
    Hand: 8 3/4
    Wingspan: 76 5/8
    Birthdate: 01/23/1990
    Hometown: Miami, FL
    Grade: 5.55

Brown - #47 - OLB
    Height: 6-1 1/4
    Weight: 244
    Speed: 4.47
    Arm: 33 1/4
    Hand: 9 1/2
    Wingspan: 78
    Birthdate: 10/23/1989
    Hometown: Columbia, MD
    Grade: 5.70

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    David - #4 - OLB-SS
    Height: 6-0 5/8
    Weight: 233
    Speed: 4.63
    Arm: 31 3/4
    Hand: 8 3/4
    Wingspan: 76 5/8
    Birthdate: 01/23/1990
    Hometown: Miami, FL
    Grade: 5.55

Brown - #47 - OLB
    Height: 6-1 1/4
    Weight: 244
    Speed: 4.47
    Arm: 33 1/4
    Hand: 9 1/2
    Wingspan: 78
    Birthdate: 10/23/1989
    Hometown: Columbia, MD
    Grade: 5.70
    I'm talking about skill and measurables that actually matter for a linebacker. I could care less about a linebacker's wingspan or handsize. Those are more important for a wide receiver.

Like I've been saying, David > Brown.

Just looking at a linebacker's measurables and judging their linebacker abilities is very delusional...
    If that were the case, Aaron Curry would be a Pro Bowler and London Fletcher would be a bust.
    If that were the case, Maualauga would be much better than Laurinaitis.

I'm talking about skill and measurables that actually matter for a linebacker. I could care less about a linebacker's wingspan or handsize. Those are more important for a wide receiver.

Just looking at a linebacker's measurables and judging their linebacker abilities is very delusional...
    If that were the case, Aaron Curry would be a Pro Bowler and London Fletcher would be a bust.
    You brought up height does that have anything to do with a linebacker abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    You brought up height does that have anything to do with a linebacker abilities?
    In a sense, yes.

Care for me to explain?

1. The taller a linebacker is, the easier it is for him to see the field. A few inches does make a difference when seeing the field.

2. The taller a linebacker is, the more room he can fill in his frame. A taller frame has more potential to add more weight than a shorter frame and still be balanced. A 6'0 250 frame is really maxing out the limited stature and will be more of a problem than a benefit most of the time, while a 6'3-6'4 250 frame is much more balanced and less sloppy.

3. The taller a linebacker is, the more ease he has to cover TE's. TE's are usually above 6'3, and if a linebacker is short, he is at a disadvantage.

Being tall does not make a linebacker automatically better than a shorter linebacker. It just means that the taller linebacker has more "potential" due to his measurables. A shorter linebacker can easily make up for his disadvantage. Just look at Ray Lewis, Dat Nguyen, London Fletcher...just to name a few.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I am starting to like the idea of Trent Richardson at #6 more then Blackmon and taking Stephen Hill in round 2 or the best available WR. I believe we could go the next two years trying to fill Jacksons (29 this year) eventual replacement and complimentary RB and wont find a better option in FA or the draft. However I think we could find a better WR in Free Agency or the draft then Blackmon in the next two years. Richardson is a good blocker, a better receiver then Jackson IMO, and faster then Jackson. I am not saying he will turn out to be better then Jackson but he is a very good RB.

I like your draft but would prefer to draft a DT with the #39 pick.

DT RD2 #39:
    1. Jerel Worthy DT 6'3 310 OR Kendall Reyes DT 6'4 300

For our LB's I would like to:
    1. Resign Chamberlin. (cheap option)
    2. Sign one of Erin Henderson 6'3 245 26 OR Manny Lawson 6'5 240 27 4.43 40.

For OL:
    1. Sign one of Jake Scott OG 6'5 292 31 OR Vernon Carey OG/OT 6'5 340 31.
    2. Draft Round 3 Bobby Massie OT 6'6 316.

My draft would be:
    1 (6) Trent Richardson RB 5-11 220
    2 Stephen Hill WR 6'4 215 4.36 40
    2 Jerel Worthy DT 6'3 310 OR Kendall Reyes DT 6'4 300
    3 Bobby Massie OT 6'6 316
    4 Nigel Bradham SLB 6'3 240
    6 Asa Jackson CB 5'11 190 4.4 40
    7 Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT 6'2 335 (squats 600 lbs, 2012 4 sacks, 4.97 40)

Free Agency:
    G
    Jake Scott OG 6'5 292 31 TEN OR Vernon Carey OG/OT 6'5 340 31
    SLB Erin Henderson OLB 6'3 245 26 OR Manny Lawson OLB 6'5 240 27 4.43 40
    WLB Chris Chamberlin 6’1 230 24

Rammed likes this.

And to add on to my previous post, I don't see how you could watch that video of Zach Brown, and then justify us picking him with our 2nd round pick. He looks very sloppy, not just in that video but in almost every video. He had the benefit of playing in a top ranked defense with blue chip players, so his weaknesses were masked.

He looks fast, but that is all he is. His tackling is bad, his angles are bad, and looking at the way he plays, he doesn't have that instinct of going and attacking the ball. He also is shut out by blockers.

And to add on to my previous post, I don't see how you could watch that video of Zach Brown, and then justify us picking him with our 2nd round pick. He looks very sloppy, not just in that video but in almost every video. He had the benefit of playing in a top ranked defense with blue chip players, so his weaknesses were masked.

He looks fast, but that is all he is. His tackling is bad, his angles are bad, and looking at the way he plays, he doesn't have that instinct of going and attacking the ball. He also is shut out by blockers.
    I respect that response more then your first.... I know he is a bit on the raw side but he has all the athleticism to develop into something special at the "Will". He has the size and the speed to cover a Vernon Davis type TE. In Williams scheme I think he can get after the QB with his speed and size. He can use his speed to chase the play from the backside, he has the ability to maneuver through traffic. He can be coached up. You teach speed as they say.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Just out of curiosity, which measurables do you feel ARE important for a LB?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Richardson is certainly a possibility with Blackmon off the board. Likely the BPA at that point.

Stephen Hill has become everyone's favorite WR after the combine, and that's across the board over the multiple fan bases whose conversations I've read. If you're picking between 20-40, Hill seems to be your top WR target. I don't know if he makes it out of the first round, but I just hope Rams fans who want him are prepared for a scenario in which he doesn't really emerge as a capable starter until Year Three or so. We have to keep in mind you're talking about an especially raw player with a whopping 49 career receptions in college. Hill is very talented, but I question how pro ready he is, especially if you plant him in the starting line-up from Day One.

Zach Brown, I'm not a huge fan of high in the second round. I think he's overrated based on his athletic ability.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which measurables do you feel ARE important for a LB?
    To be honest, there's not many measurables that ARE important for a LB. What makes a good linebacker is his instincts, aggressiveness, technique, and the ability to recognize how a play develops. You can be short, tall, light, heavy, have big hands, small hands, but if you cannot do the things mentioned above, you will never be a good linebacker.

For body measurables, height and weight would probably be the most important.

For skill measurables, you could say speed would be the most important, and it's not even that important.

An athletic football player does not mean he will ever make a great linebacker.

Look at Aaron Curry. 6'2, 254lbs. He ran a 4.54, benched rep 25 times, 37 inch vertical, and had a 124in broad jump. This guy sounds like Superman right?
    Last edited by RockinRam; -03-19-2012 at 11:37 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

To be honest, there's not many measurables that ARE important for a LB. What makes a good linebacker is his instincts, aggressiveness, technique, and the ability to recognize how a play develops. You can be short, tall, light, heavy, have big hands, small hands, but if you cannot do the things mentioned above, you will never be a good linebacker.
    Then why do they measure them?

It's like that one LB that had awesome instincts and technique, but he wasn't fast enough or big enough to make the play. Remember him? Me neither, because players like that don't make it. They have to have both: intangibles AND measurables.

Specific to this discussion, I don't have a dog in the fight. These two guys are probably the best 4-3 LBs in the draft and either would help the Rams, IMO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

In a sense, yes.

Care for me to explain?

1. The taller a linebacker is, the easier it is for him to see the field. A few inches does make a difference when seeing the field.

2. The taller a linebacker is, the more room he can fill in his frame. A taller frame has more potential to add more weight than a shorter frame and still be balanced. A 6'0 250 frame is really maxing out the limited stature and will be more of a problem than a benefit most of the time, while a 6'3-6'4 250 frame is much more balanced and less sloppy.

3. The taller a linebacker is, the more ease he has to cover TE's. TE's are usually above 6'3, and if a linebacker is short, he is at a disadvantage.

Being tall does not make a linebacker automatically better than a shorter linebacker. It just means that the taller linebacker has more "potential" due to his measurables. A shorter linebacker can easily make up for his disadvantage. Just look at Ray Lewis, Dat Nguyen, London Fletcher...just to name a few.
    I wouldn't say the tall linebacker is necessarily at an advantage to the shorter linebacker. The shorter linebacker has the advantage of a lower centre of gravity, improving his balance. The shorter linebacker also has the advantage in that he is already low into the tackle. Running backs are often 5'10 or shorter, and are taught to run low. As a tackler, you need to get as low to be able to get some drive and knock that RB back. A taller linebacker will struggle with that. No matter how strong or fast you are, it's not easy to push a guy back if he rams his helmet into your stomach.

As for seeing the field, it's not really that important. Linebackers make their reads not based on where the ball is, more on how the offensive line moves. If they fire out of their stance forward, it's a run. Drop back into pass protection, it's likely a pass (could be a draw).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast