Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Mock and free agents moves as we move closer

Rambos is offline Registered User

Mock and free agents moves as we move closer

This mock is based on the Rams moving on from both SJax and Amendola. I wish both would return but it looks unlikely.

Sjax saves $7 million
    Redo Quintin Mikell deal from a cost of $6 million to $3 million or so...
    Cut Wayne Hunter save $4 million
    New cap plus $2.4 million

By not over paying for Amendola and with some other very doable moves the Rams can make a modest splash and add two much needed upgrades in free agency.

Sign free agents:

Phil Loadholt, OT, Vikings. Age: 27

William Moore, S, Falcons. Age: 28

Round 1 (16) Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina

Round 1 (22) Tavon Austin, WR West Virginia

Round 2 Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

Round 3 Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers

Round 4 Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-01-2013 at 03:48 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Mock and free agents moves as we move closer

Rambos, not sure I understand your "new cap plus $2.6 million". Please explain. If you plan to sign Loadholt AND Moore it's gong to take BIG money. I'm sure the Vikes and Falcons will make a concerted effort to re-sign their respective players. I'm with you on Moore, I think he'd be a great signing for us. It's also going to take some convincing to get Mikell to take a 50% pay cut plus then give him more years, remember he's already 33.

Good mock. Although I prefer Keenan Allen at WR over Tavon Austin. The way OL are going in the pre-draft talk Cooper may not be there at 16 for us. I do hope he is as I think he could be a good value pick for us. Like the Ertz pick despite a ho-hum Combine. I'm not sure Greene will be there in round 3, he's rated one of the top 3 OLB's, behind Jarvis and Mingo.

Go Rams!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This is why I don't like mock drafts with free agency. Its hard to predict and usually ruins a good draft. I'd be pretty damn excited with that draft. I slept on Cooper earlier in the year, but I definitely think he could make the transition to a power man scheme. Austin is as explosive as you can get. Ertz would be good value in the 2nd, and would provide a much needed weapon in the middle of the field. Greene is a solid OLB. Rogers in the 4th is definitely worth the shot, maybe he won't even last that long.

The FA part doesn't seem to realistic. Loadholt will want a big contract, as well as Moore. I don't think we could squeek them into our cap space, not to mention the FO has talked about not adding massive contracts like that so we can retain our own talent in 2 years.

THE DREAM TEAM

Sosa you might be right but here is the thing to remember with the cap space. If we sign SJ and Danny they will take a large amount of the cap dollars and not allow us to do much after we sign our own.

mde8352gorams I don't think Mikell has much of a choice to be honest, if he walks we draft a safety as well as sign William Moore. This draft is very deep with safety we could find a starter late.

With free agency on the horizon and the start of the league year coming March 12, many teams are sweating the weight of the salary cap. Good news comes in the form of some small relief, though, as CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports the cap has come in, officially, at $123 million.

That's a substantial jump from the expected $121.5 million that many expected and a bump up from the $120.6 million cap from 2012.

La Canfora reported over the weekend that the cap would rise and while $1.5 million (or, if you prefer, $2.4 million from last season) might not seem like a substantial amount of money, it at least creates a much better scenario than a totally flat cap or the expected small jump.

That's an extra $2.4 million per team that can be floated into the marketplace ($76.8 million total), and it'll mean that teams should have an easier time retaining current free agents and/or adding players once free agency opens on March 12.

Many teams also have salary-cap space carried over from 2012.

An extra $2.4 million isn't going to make or break a high-profile signing, but for teams that have been restructuring like crazy to get under the salary cap, the cushion is very nice news.
    It's 2.4 not 2.6... I need to change that.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

If it were to happen, your scenario would be my dream offseason for the Rams. Grabbing Cooper and Austin in the 1st fills two huge needs, and your getting great value with all the other picks. I doubt Ertz and Greene will drop that far in the draft, but I sure hope they do. I agree that the Rams will pick up a Safety in FA; I think Byrd from Buffalo will be tagged so that leaves Moore from ATL and Delmas from DET as the two most likely choices. I'd prefer to keep Mikell, but if he doesn't renegotiate his contract we should draft a Safety in the 2nd round instead of getting Ertz... altogether great job though!

Yeah Vinnie you are right they tagged Byrd today. I am being hopeful we get a few breaks for sure.

Thanks, lets hope we get a few of these guys anyways...

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Sign free agents:

Phil Loadholt, OT, Vikings. Age: 27

William Moore, S, Falcons. Age: 28

Round 2 Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

Round 3 Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers

It's nearly the same as the draft I posted so I would be okay with it.

Three of my first four picks you have in yours and the one that you didn't pick was a TE in the second where you took Ertz and I took Vance. If you want Rogers I think you will have to take him in the third and if you do the only difference is Ertz and Vance.
    Draft
    1 (16) Jonathan Cooper G/C 6'3 315 35 bench
    1 (22) Tavon Austin WR 5'8 175
    2 Vance McDonald TE 6'4 265 31 bench 4.69 40
    3 Da' Rick Rogers WR 6'3 215 4.52 40

As far as my big signing it was Long and I said I would be just as happy with Loadholt which is who you picked.

Sign
    Jake Long LT 6'7 320 28

Its almost the exact same as mine so I wouldn't change anything except if we dont think Rogers will be there in the 4th which I dont then I would like to take him or another WR in the 3rd. Ertz and Vance are very close in my book. I think Ertz might start off better but Vance will have a better career IMO.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-01-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I haven't heard too much about Loadholt in FA but anybody who blocks for a 2000 yard back in this league is okay in my book (not to mention he'll come a whole lot cheaper than a premier LT)!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it's a bit optimistic - Ertz, Greene, and Rogers all lasting to those picks as well as landing two pretty good free agents - but there's nothing wrong with being optimistic.

I will say that this mock helps alleviate some concerns I had with the idea of drafting two receivers, because (1) they're not both being taken on the first two days of the draft and (2) they'll clearly play two different roles rather than both competing for one starting job.

A more cap friendly option and a tad more realistic draft.

Sign free agents:

Justin Durant LB

Jared Cook TE

Round 2 Eric Reid, S, LSU

Round 3 Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina

Nick likes this.