Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Mock offseason? Ya you heard right we are that bad

1. Jake Locker, QB, Washington-Cannon Arm, but he isn't gun slinger he makes great decisions. Most athletic QB and if we are still running the WCO his athletic ability will be great with all the roll out passes. He and Clausen both play in pro style systems and their stats are surprisingly close even though Clausen has superior talent and a much weaker schedule. Huge upside and you can tell by his day and night improvement in his mechanics. Bradford season ending sugery...

2. Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois- Gotta give the young guy some weapons. Big physical fast explosive with good hands, but other WRs have overtaken him because of Juice Williams horrible play. Ton of young recievers gotta hit on at least 2. Gibson, Avery, Robinson, Burton, Foster, Amendola and now Benn. He may still go in the first, but if he does there will be other options like LaFell (LSU), Williams(USC), Williams(Syracuse) and to lesser extents Demaryius Thomas (Georgia tech.)and Golden Tate(Notre Dame).

3. Linval Joseph, DT, Eastern Carolina- 6'6 320 the kid is huge, but he is a great interior pass rusher. Will instantly get reps in the rotation and might eventually start next to Ryan if Carriker can't get healthy.

4. John Jerry, OT, Ole Miss- 6'5 350, huge and strong as an ox, even with his long arms he put up Ole Miss record setting bench press numbers. Excellent run blocker, but raw in the passing game. We will bring him along slow guys like Trautwein, Young, and Goldberg will get the first shot.

5. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn- Versatile guy and is the perfect compliment to S-Jax. Doesn't have explosive speed, but he is a good runner and pass catcher.

5. Vladimir Ducase, OG, Massachusetts- Big Strong guard 6'5 330. Fits the mold the new line we are trying to build. Could be starting sooner than later.

6. Jefferey Fitzgerald, DL, Kansas State- Spags loves his D-line man and he wouldn't have his stamp on the draft without coming out with at least 2. Fitzgerald is versatile can play End and tackle. Played excellent opposite Chris Long while at Virginia before he left the team and Transferred to Kansas state. He could eventually take James Hall's role

7. Van Eskridge, S, Eastern Carolina- Versatile safety can do a little of everything. Could be the 4th safety and a special teamer

7. Austin Lane, DE, Murray State- Great pass rusher from small school, a project practice squad bound, but could pay dividends eventually.

Free Agents

Aaron Kampman, DE, Packers- Its clear Spags wants to spend less on LBs and more on the D-line. Long Moves over to LE and his sack totals and the performance by the rest of the line will go up because Kampman will draw attention and also get his sacks. It wont hurt the Rams to add some experience.

O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams
    - Self explanatory

Tony Scheffler, TE, Broncos
    - Finally pass catching TE. Will be especially good in redzone. Goes back where he needs to WCO

Chase Blackburn, LB, Giants- Does Spags love DEs or what just another DE he has converted to LB. Immedeatly steps in on the Week side for spoon. More of the bigger LB Spags is looking for and he knows the system

Chris Gocong, SLB, Eagles- Big can play some DE. Knows the system.

Stanford Rout, CB, Raiders- Bigger physical Corner Spags looks for. He plays for the raiders so you know he is fast. Can Challenge for a starting spot or in the Nickel since he has starting experience.

Restricted Free Agents
    Jonathan Wade, CB, Rams (Tender)
    Clifton Ryan, DT, Rams (Tender)
    Larry Grant, LB, Rams (Tender)
    Craig Dahl, S, Rams (tender)
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -10-21-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spoon trade

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Mock offseason? Ya you heard right we are that bad

Not to rain on your parade or anything....but do we have any evidence that Clausen can truly get it done when the chips are down? How do we know he won't be another Brady Quinn?

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

notre dame has won the last 3 games at the very end, mostly thanks to good plays by clausen. they haven't exactly been playing top 10 talent but the guy's got talent. i like this mock overall, taking carlos dunlap has to be at least a little appealing and i might like jake locker more than clausen for us, but i agree with most of what's done here. we should have significant cap space, so if the whole cba thing goes through (and i have to believe it will) we should definitely look at a veteran #1 wide receiver (boldin, marshall) and a rg or rt through free agency.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You have some good thoughts there, but I wouldn't release Bulger unless it is for the purpose of clearing cap space for a significant FA. You need 2 QBs (at least) on the roster, and I have little/no faith in Boller.

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    notre dame has won the last 3 games at the very end, mostly thanks to good plays by clausen. they haven't exactly been playing top 10 talent but the guy's got talent. i like this mock overall, taking carlos dunlap has to be at least a little appealing and i might like jake locker more than clausen for us, but i agree with most of what's done here. we should have significant cap space, so if the whole cba thing goes through (and i have to believe it will) we should definitely look at a veteran #1 wide receiver (boldin, marshall) and a rg or rt through free agency.
    Needing last minute drives to dispatch Michigan State, Purdue, and Washington doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about his playing prowess. If he was actually good, Notre Dame wouldn't need late drives to win those games.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Needing last minute drives to dispatch Michigan State, Purdue, and Washington doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about his playing prowess. If he was actually good, Notre Dame wouldn't need late drives to win those games.
    as usual you're trying to put everything on the quarterback..this is a team game.

I would love to go after a top Wideout in FA, but realistically we wont have alot to pick from. Vincent Jackson most likely stays in San Diego. Chris Henry, T.O. and Marshall have huge character issues, and Braylon Edwards has hands like feet so IMO Breaston was the best available.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Washington is a good team they beat USC. Clausen didn't play most of the purdue game due to injury, but he came back hurt and lead them on a game winning drive and threw the game winning touchdown with turf toe. If that isn't toughness leadership and grit when it is do or die I don't know what is. Right now ND is banged up they have only 2 weapons left and there defense isn't good and his o-line is only decent. Watch his games this year if you get the chance and you will see what I'm talking about. As for the Brady Quin comparison Claussen has a stronger arm is more accurate and his supporting cast isn't nearly as good, but his numbers are better than Quinn's. IMO Clausen is the guy to beat untill we see what Bradford comming off injury can do.

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    as usual you're trying to put everything on the quarterback..this is a team game.
    I am under the impression that Baron Harkonnen (AKA Charlie Weis) routinely stocks the team with very talented 4 and 5 star recruits. I wouldn't rush to point at the rest of the team's talent as the explanation.

Washington's win over USC would be more impressive if USC hadn't been in the habit the last few seasons of randomly dropping one road game they have no business dropping early in the season. The annual part of being this year's annual freak USC upset beneficiary takes away the luster of the win.
    Last edited by PeoriaRam; -10-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.

richtree is offline Registered User

"Steve Breaston, WR, Cardinals- True #1 guy. Defenses look at someone besides S-Jax "

I like ur thinking -- but he is not a number 1 -- not even a #2 ....

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    "Steve Breaston, WR, Cardinals- True #1 guy. Defenses look at someone besides S-Jax "

I like ur thinking -- but he is not a number 1 -- not even a #2 ....
    of course he is not behind Fitzgerald and boldin, but he still got 1,000 yards receiving as the number 3 guy and consistently came up with big plays. He played even bigger when he had to fill in when Boldin or Fitz went down. He can be a true number 1 target given the opportunity.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

i'm not a fan of that steve breaston move i mean we are going to give up alot of money. im guessing 4yrs 20+ mill

And slot receivers turing into starter does that sound familiar? Kevin Curtis remember him?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    i'm not a fan of that steve breaston move i mean we are going to give up alot of money. im guessing 4yrs 20+ mill

And slot receivers turing into starter does that sound familiar? Kevin Curtis remember him?
    This argument is irrelevant since he is an RFA, but he isn't solely a slot receiver. Boldin missed 4 starts last year where Breaston totaled 284 and 2 Tds in his position. That was only a portion of his total 1,007 yards. Also Kevin Kurtis is far more injury prone, but his first season out of the slot he started 16 games and racked up 1,000 yards. It is bad comparison since Kurtis is never healthy, but when he is healthy he is a good reciever. Lets compare the season where they both had 9 starts the year before they hit FA Kurits 801 and 6 tds and Breaston 1007 yards and 3 tds. After 1 more season in STL he went to Philly and got 1,000 yards as a full time guy. Breaston could still have down year this year and become a productive WR. Not to mention Kurtis transitioned from a high octane down the field passing game to to the same WCO we are currently running. Breaston would be doing the same thing. If anything switching Kurtis is a good example of switching from a slot to full time guy especially in the WCO

RebelYell is offline Registered User

1. I'd be fine with Steve Breaston. Don't understand why people think he's just a slot receiver.

2. I wouldn't cut Jacob Bell. He's played relatively well this season so far. Incognito is the guy that HAS to be replaced.

3. While Jimmy Clausen is technically the best QB statistically, I'm not sure teams like him that much to put him so high. He's sort of a goofy kid and to me he isn't a difference maker like Bradford when healthy. I can't quantify it but I'm not as sold on him as many others and I'm an Irish fan. BUT, he's playing well enough to go in the first round to someone.

4. I think James Hall is gone after this season. He's not getting upfield and has been given every opportunity. With his age, I'm not seeing it.

5. I agree Bulger will be cut. Rams can cut Bulger and save about $1.5 million, cut Boller and invest the savings in a guy like Garcia to fill a hole for a few weeks. Next season the Rams will be desperate to sell tickets and the rookie will start early.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The deep ball may be the most overrated statistic for a QB. Most passes aren't more than 30-40 yards anyway and Colt threw a beauty like that this week to Jordan Shipley. Shipley may be the most underrated wR in the nation. Ranks 2nd in receptions, 7th in yards and no one is talking about him. Also has 2+ punt returns for touchdowns.

Colt is leading the nation passing accuracy. I'll take that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast