39thebeast is offline Registered User

Monroe vs. J. Smith

My favorite player in this draft is Eugene Monroe. I have liked him for a while and it is disappointing to see many so called experts give Jason Smith the slight edge.

I do worry that the Rams will go with sexier pick Smith, which I wouldn't be to mad about because he has huge upside, but he looks like a way less polished D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Monroe has better footwork, has given up way less sacks with more starts at LT. He is already a polished and great pass blocker, while Smith is verry raw. Monroe may not have the killer instinct Smith has, but he is a more physical player. We want to be a running team, but we want to put a guy at LT who hasn't been a drive blocker? That makes less than no sense to me. Monroe isn't a run blocker on Andre Smith's level, but he is a darn good one. I am sure Chris Long who has faced him many times in practice will give him rave reveiws. IMO if not Curry Monroe makes to much sense.

Thoughts?

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Monroe vs. J. Smith

Eugene Monroe is more polished, but he has also been called "soft" and may not have a killer instinct (his play in the run game certainly speaks volumes towards this). Jason Smith has made it known that he not only wants to dominate his opponent, but also finish him at the same time. He has worked tirelessly to get to where he is right now and I have no reason to believe why that work ethic won't carry over to the NFL. He exudes all the four pillars Spags wants, as well as having the big, wrecking-ball mentality that Billy wants to have on our line. So therefore, Jason Smith would win in my book. I would be surprised if he isn't the pick (between both OTs) if they are both there when we are on the clock.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Monroe is the more polished tackle and could easily come in and play in the NFL. I was really not impressed by videos of Smiths play, but he does have a huge upside. He is very raw, and its tough to take someone who needs that much polishing with the second pick. Although Monroe's knees were red flagged, I would still take him with this pick if Curry was gone, but could understand why the FO would take Smith. The other thing is "experts" are acting like Monroe has reached his peak and his ceiling is so much lower than Smiths. Monroe has a lot of room to improve and has a very high ceiling that is very close to Smiths, and his floor is already higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Eugene Monroe is more polished, but he has also been called "soft" and may not have a killer instinct (his play in the run game certainly speaks volumes towards this). Jason Smith has made it known that he not only wants to dominate his opponent, but also finish him at the same time. He has worked tirelessly to get to where he is right now and I have no reason to believe why that work ethic won't carry over to the NFL. He exudes all the four pillars Spags wants, as well as having the big, wrecking-ball mentality that Billy wants to have on our line. So therefore, Jason Smith would win in my book. I would be surprised if he isn't the pick (between both OTs) if they are both there when we are on the clock.
    Run Game? Have you watched Baylor? Blocking out of a 2 point stance in spread option offense is completely different from a pro style offense like the the line in Virginia. The youngest in the family of 16 don't you think Monroe has worked tirelessly also to get where he is. Monroe doesn't exude the four Pillars also? My point is you look at the tape and Monroe was Terrific in a Pro style offense whereas Smith was athletic, but verry raw in an unorthodox offense.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Run Game? Have you watched Baylor? Blocking out of a 2 point stance in spread option offense is completely different from a pro style offense like the the line in Virginia. The youngest in the family of 16 don't you think Monroe has worked tirelessly also to get where he is. Monroe doesn't exude the four Pillars also? My point is you look at the tape and Monroe was Terrific in a Pro style offense whereas Smith was athletic, but verry raw in an unorthodox offense.
    I know workout statistics can be misleading, but the fact that he benched 225 lbs. 10 more times than Monroe, who's arms are only 1/8th longer than Smith's is pretty significant to me. It's no wonder Jake Long was viewed as dominant in the run game (he benched it 38 times) before last year's draft. And if I remember correctly, you were an advocate for Chris Long before last year's draft. That would mean you know that Chris had never played in a traditional 4-3 DE stance while at Virginia because they ran a 3-4 and he would often line up inside or the five-technique rather than at end. Like Chris, Jason will have to make a transition that will take time but is not impossible. I'm sure the Rams will make sure of this throughout the entire evaluation of him. It's just my own opinion, but "J-Smooth" just sounds like a player who won't let himself fail -- much like Chris -- and will be a mainstay on our line for years to come. At least, I like him more than Monroe. Here's an article for you to get more familiar with him, but it's also a great read:

Baylor's Smith leaves no doubt

TERRELL, Texas -- From the time he was a kid, Jason Smith was pretty sure he'd end up in the NFL. It was everyone else who needed convincing.

His coach at Dallas' W.T. White High School, the legendary Mike Zoffuto, moved the tall, lanky kid from left tackle to tight end because he thought it was his only chance to attract college recruiters. And one by one, SEC powerhouses such as Florida and Alabama sent representatives to the inner-city school -- only they were there to look at two of Smith's teammates.

Perennial Big 12 South doormat Baylor and Houston were the only schools to show interest in Smith, who admits to "not being able to catch a cold" from his tight end spot. Smith checked in at No. 95 on the Dallas Morning News' area top 100 list -- a spot normally reserved for the stray kicker or punter.

"I begged TCU to look at Jason," said former W.T. White assistant Billy Thompson, who'd played defensive end at the school when it was in the Southwest Conference. "I knew if he could get into a Division I school and eat at a training table every day, he would take off."

Five years later, Smith has a legitimate shot to become the first Big 12 player selected No. 1 overall. In a process in which scouts and draft experts desperately try to poke holes in a player's skill set, Smith may be as close to a sure thing as you'll find.

"He is really one of those 10-year left tackle type guys," said one NFC general manager who requested anonymity. "He is really in my eyes a No. 1 guy. You'd love to have a guy like that. He's a Walter Jones left tackle who could play forever. He's got it all with the size and athletic ability. He's clean."

That Smith somehow ended up in this spot is testament to his perseverance and uncanny networking skills. One former coach described him as "an old soul," and that's apparent to anyone who has crossed paths with him. Both in looks and demeanor, he seems six or seven years older than his 22 years. On a foggy spring morning in Waco, he interrupted his daily workout to talk about his rise, which is anything but sudden.

Smith was raised by his maternal grandmother and mother in a gritty section of northwest Dallas called North Park that was a breeding ground for drug dealers and gang violence. The fact that one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the nation, Highland Park, was about two miles away only reinforced Smith's goal to reach the NFL.

As a 10-year-old, Smith would ride his bike through Highland Park, the area where Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford grew up, and daydream about a better life for his family.

Smith used the hardships as motivation, and none of his coaches can recall him complaining. At age 12, he launched a lawn service ("The Cutting Edge") and posted fliers around the neighborhood. For Christmas, he would ask for a leaf blower or weed whacker instead of video games.

"I would stop by and visit with lawn service guys all the time," Smith said. "What they didn't know is that I was studying what sort of equipment they had."

When Smith saved up enough to buy a green Craftsman push mower, the real profits started to roll in.

"None of us could figure out how Jason showed up for practice every day when he basically had a full-time job," Thompson said. "I'm pretty sure he worked at a pet shop too. About 90 percent of our job was just getting the kids to practice. But you never had to say a word to Jason. He was just there."

Smith continued mowing lawns through his freshman year at Baylor before deciding to take a job with City Tire and Battery in Waco. He would attend class, go to spring practice and then report for duty changing tires and organizing the garage. Teammates and friends would call him at all hours of the night when they had car trouble and Smith always showed up with his toolbox.

The Cowboys Way

Smith's grandmother, Carolyn Jordan, grew up riding horses and she started taking him and his older brother Duane to team roping events when they were kids. It was there where Smith met a man named Glenn Caldwell who would become a father figure to him. Caldwell, whose parents had been migrant workers, owned an 80-acre ranch in Terrell and he introduced Smith to ranching. Caldwell hosted roping events at his "Big B Ranch" on weekends and took a special interest in Smith.

"You could just tell that he was a different type person," said Smith. "I watched the way he treated his wife and kids, and I wanted to be like him. Once I started going down there, he couldn't get me to leave."

On a brilliant spring day in late March, Caldwell took a reporter through some of the same pastures Smith helped clear. Caldwell's son, Corey, and Smith had spent hours performing chores on the ranch before they'd received permission to rope steers in an arena on the property. When Smith became serious about football in high school, he tilled the sand in the arena and pulled tires through it to increase his strength. And when he wasn't roping steers, he was breaking colts. At 6-foot-5, 309 pounds, Smith looks like someone who'd rely on brute strength to break a horse, but he's offended by that suggestion.

"It's not something you rush," he said. "I just outthink them."

Smith took a black and white paint horse named Diamond to college with him. He kept it on three acres outside Waco and rode as much as possible. Smith was crushed when Caldwell traded the horse for a bull during his junior year at Baylor, but he eventually got the message.

"He didn't want me riding anymore," Smith said.

Destined for the NFL

During his freshman year, Smith kept dropping by Baylor coach Guy Morriss' office, asking him for the blueprint to playing in the NFL. Morriss, who reached Super Bowls as a player with the Eagles and Patriots, couldn't figure out why a scout team player was "pestering" him about the NFL.

"I finally gave him a notebook full of things to do," Morriss said. "Eating right, recovery, resting, sleeping, weightlifting, limiting your social life, studying film and his playbook. It was a deal of trust. He knew I'd been there, so he hung on every word."

After an injury-plagued junior season in 2007, which resulted in Morriss' dismissal, Smith filled out his paperwork to enter the NFL draft. He learned through the evaluation process that he was projected as a second- or third-round pick, and he was excited about that. But a chance meeting with incoming coach Art Briles caused Smith to second-guess his decision.

When the two ended up on treadmills next to each other shortly after Briles was hired, the new coach offered Smith the following advice:

"If you leave now, you can go visit someone's ranch," Briles told Smith, "but if you stay this year, you're gonna own the ranch."

Smith, who was fiercely loyal to Morriss, began to entertain the idea of staying another year. He also said watching the coaching staff in the weight room had a big influence on him.

"Coach Briles and his assistant were doing power cleans and overhead split jerks," said Smith. "I thought, 'If these guys coach the way they work out, I better stick around.'"

Smith went on to become an All-American his senior season and didn't give up a sack. He studied film of Virginia's Eugene Monroe early in the 2008 season because he wanted to measure himself against one of the top left tackles in the nation. He also began preparing weeks ahead for some of the Big 12's top defensive ends such as Oklahoma's Auston English and Texas' Brian Orakpo. When Orakpo had to miss the 2008 game with an injury, Smith took his frustration out on his replacement, Sergio Kindle.

"Orakpo was the best defensive end in the nation on paper and on film," Smith said. "I would tell him about his every move."

Now there's a chance that both players could be selected in the top 10 of this April's NFL draft. Until draft day, though, Smith is serving as a volunteer assistant coach during Baylor's spring practice. He's spending a lot of time tutoring his potential replacement at left tackle, Danny Watkins.

Smith has had a huge role in making Baylor competitive for the first time in years, and he'll give the program even more credibility on draft day. When ESPN2's "First Take" asked Smith to appear recently, he was decked out in Baylor gear.

"He's someone we can point to," Briles said of Smith. "You can hang your hat on the respect that Jason has earned for this program."

About 29 years ago, Baylor sent its best player ever to the NFL. His name is Mike Singletary, and he's about to have a run for his money.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -03-31-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Happy now?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

^^I enjoyed reading that. Jason sounds like the real deal, and right now, I have him a bit ahead of Monroe, but as things progress, you never know.

The reason I think about Monroe going to us is because his game is already polished, but Jason Smith has a huge upside and has incredible potential.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Good solid man coming from a solid institution. He's good, big, and fast. Won't hurt to have him drafted as a Ram.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81
    Smith went on to become an All-American his senior season and didn't give up a sack. He studied film of Virginia's Eugene Monroe early in the 2008 season because he wanted to measure himself against one of the top left tackles in the nation.
    Curious that Jason Smith actually studied film of Monroe to get better. I'm not sure which one of them that says more about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I know workout statistics can be misleading, but the fact that he benched 225 lbs. 10 more times than Monroe, who's arms are only 1/8th longer than Smith's is pretty significant to me. It's no wonder Jake Long was viewed as dominant in the run game (he benched it 38 times) before last year's draft. And if I remember correctly, you were an advocate for Chris Long before last year's draft. That would mean you know that Chris had never played in a traditional 4-3 DE stance while at Virginia because they ran a 3-4 and he would often line up inside or the five-technique rather than at end. Like Chris, Jason will have to make a transition that will take time but is not impossible. I'm sure the Rams will make sure of this throughout the entire evaluation of him. It's just my own opinion, but "J-Smooth" just sounds like a player who won't let himself fail -- much like Chris -- and will be a mainstay on our line for years to come. At least, I like him more than Monroe. Here's an article for you to get more familiar with him, but it's also a great read:
    Actually I was a Jake Long fan, but when he went first overall I wanted Chris Long. You make some good points. Virginia and Baylor are 2 different institutions Virginia churns out pro ready players like it is nothing, that is why Chris Long was able to make that transition. You think Monroe will let himself fail, I don't. All you have to do is look at the tape. Smith may have the upside, but if look at the tape Monroe was excellent, he has given up 1 career sack and that was against the super freak Michael Johnson.