AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Most Agree Its Brown If He's There: Here's Why They Might Be Wrong

I've been combing the mock drafts on various web sites and I have to say that I've never seen such a strong concensus pick for the Rams. I'd say at least 3/4 of the mocks (including my most recent one) project that Oklahoma OT Jammal Brown will be there when the Rams pick at 19, and that the Rams will take them.

Certainly makes sense, and I would be neither surprised nor disappointed if the Rams did select Brown.

But there are a few reasons I could see the Rams passing on Brown:

1. They might believe that an OT (Khalif Barnes, Adam Terry) who they perceive as comparable to Brown will be available when they make their second pick.

2. They may have more confidence in Scott Tercero than we do.

3. They may believe that there is higher value at another position, such as CB or S.

Maybe its me, but the fact that so many people are projecting Brown almost makes me think that he won't be the pick.

As the tower commander said in Airplane... "No... that's just what they're expecting us to do."

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Most Agree Its Brown If He's There: Here's Why They Might Be Wrong

Also consider that the Rams probably have a fair to good notion as to which tackles on other teams will be cut/released and therefore available later this summer....and at a bargain as well.

GO RAMMS!!!!!!!!!

ramhard is offline Registered User

From the Ram's lips

Remember we got a shading of this when Martz or Z' stated that they were looking at OT, but it would be hard to pass up an elite corner if one fell there. Then the question is what is an 'elite' corner.

I mentioned this before, but I think if Rolle, P-Man, or Rogers fell to 19 then I don't think there is little doubt the Rams would take them over an OT due to more value. The real question is whether they consider J. Miller or M. Jackson (who can also play FS) elite corners, as both will probably be available.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm beginning to wonder if Brown is even going to be there, considering you can now officially add the Lions to the mix of teams that could grab an OT in round one after losing McDougle in free agency. There are a number of teams that pick before us who could choose an OT in round one, but I think the list of those who could very well do so (more likely than others) looks like...

Miami
    Tennessee
    Detroit
    Houston
    Carolina

My biggest concern is whether Brown is going to make it past these teams. I have no doubt that Barron is off the board first, but if he goes to Detroit to play RT and Houston has their heart set on an offensive tackle, then say goodbye to Jammal.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Well, Nick. If you're right and Brown is gone, the highest ranked guy on both of our draft boards who is likely to be there is Thomas Davis. I think Davis and an OT in the second round could work out well for the Rams.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Tell you what. Given the fact that the Rams draft picks over the past 4 years have been less than stellar, I'd try to trade away the picks for some proven talent this time around. Can't be any worse than striking out on another projected hopeful again. Might as well strike out via the trade route this time.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Tell you what. Given the fact that the Rams draft picks over the past 4 years have been less than stellar, I'd try to trade away the picks for some proven talent this time around. Can't be any worse than striking out on another projected hopeful again. Might as well strike out via the trade route this time.
    It's hard to argue with your logic adarian. Although, I would submit that we have found a few quality players via the draft as well (i.e. Jackson, Pisa, Hargrove, etc.). The problem with your theory, however, is that I don't think we can afford the contracts that the impact FA's will command. Plus, young, fresh legs, minds and bodies are the building blocks for future seasons and perhaps championships.
    Last edited by viper; -03-18-2005 at 09:51 PM.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I agree with Viper.Draft the young bucks build a famous offensive line.Hell I wish we could draft defensive coordinator.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Considering we do have limited cap space left, it only makes sense to try to draft a kid to fill what holes we can...then if a proven FA comes along that we CAN afford, well, that just gives us time to groom him into what we need. I just hope we do get Brown.

Rambos is offline Registered User

How about trading out of the first round all together if both the good OT,s are gone. Trade down and get more picks to add FS, OT, CD, LB to give some depth and improve are so special, special teams. Hmmm maybe, maybe not.

maineram is offline Registered User

With all our draft picks this year you got to think that they'll be some wheeling and dealing to position themselves to jump up and grab guys we need. I'd say pass on an OT with that 19th pick in the first round, maybe package some picks to move up and get an early 2nd round pick where the value would be there in taking a second tear lineman. I wouldn't mind seeing us jump up in that first round and getting one of the top notch safeties or corners.

Maineram - :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    The problem with your theory, however, is that I don't think we can afford the contracts that the impact FA's will command. Plus, young, fresh legs, minds and bodies are the building blocks for future seasons and perhaps championships.
    There is no denying the fact that salary cap constraints cannot be ignored. And although you cite to a few draft picks who may be part of the foundation for years to come, I submit that there are not enough examples to suggest that the Rams know how to draft well on a consistent basis. But give them enough picks and there may very well emerge a building block or two.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

But give them enough picks and there may very well emerge a building block or two.
    How does the saying go? Even a blind squirrel can sometimes find a nut? Well even Mike Martz can sometimes make a good draft pick.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    How does the saying go? Even a blind squirrel can sometimes find a nut? Well even Mike Martz can sometimes make a good draft pick.
    A broken clock is still right twice a day.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Watch out.Pro football weekly really thinks the Rams will go for a safety in the 1st round.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild