Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Most Important Drills, Tests and Inteviews for Draft Crop

Here are the drills, tests and interviews that I think will have the biggest impact on the first round of the draft:

Height Measurement: Jimmy Clausen
    I am convinced that he is not nearly as tall as he is listed (6'3). I'd guess that he's not much taller than 6'0. Fair or not, the difference of two inches can mean quite a bit for a QB in the first round.

Weight Measurement: Ndamukong Suh
    The only number that I think could make some people question whether Suh's talents will translate to the NFL is his weight. If he's above 290, he'll be fine. If he were to weigh in at 285, some might question if he can hold up at DT.

40 Yard Dash: Dez Bryant
    If Dez Bryant runs the 40 in 4.55 or less, he'll likely be a top 10 pick. If he runs in 4.45 or less, he could be a top 5 pick. If he runs in the 4.6s, he might not even be the first WR taken.

Bench Press: Gerald McCoy
    If he really wows the scouts on the bench, it might cause some to consider him to be a prospect on par with Suh. Of course, if Suh outperforms him in strength tests, then he'll clearly be considered a level below.

Physical Exam: Sam Bradford
    Had he come out in 2009, Bradford would have been selected in the top 10, and might have even been the first pick. Now, he has a huge question mark on his right shoulder. Throwing drills will tell a lot, but teams are really going to want to hear what the doctors have to say.

Throwing Drills: Colt McCoy
    Scouts want to like McCoy. He has some great qualities, and a stellar career at Texas (which will be completed tonight). The question is, can he make "all the throws" that an NFL QB needs to make. Honorable mention in this category is Tim Tebow.

Interview: Carlos Dunlap
    Dunlap was on his way to a Top 15 rating before he got into trouble with the law. Teams have to be concerned about off the field misconduct these days, particulatly with first round picks. If he comes accross as humble and contrite, teams will forgive his transgression and look at this talent.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Most Important Drills, Tests and Inteviews for Draft Crop

AV, did you happen to listen to Devaney on 101ESPN?

You'll love it, as did I. He was saying how he doesn't care if a guy like Suh gets 29 reps as opposed to 33 benching. He's proven himself on the football field. It's not a direct quote but that was the message and to me, it's quite relieving.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    AV, did you happen to listen to Devaney on 101ESPN?

You'll love it, as did I. He was saying how he doesn't care if a guy like Suh gets 29 reps as opposed to 33 benching. He's proven himself on the football field. It's not a direct quote but that was the message and to me, it's quite relieving.
    Yes, I read that in Nick's excellent summary of the interview.

I agree that for Suh, the reps are not that important. For McCoy, the bench would be the one way he might get some to think he's a better prospect than Suh. If Suh were to to 25 reps, while McCoy did 35, that might cause some to say "hmmmm...." If its 35 to 32 reps, though, as Devaney said, who cares?

Of course, from what I've read, Suh is a beast in the weightroom too (he reportedly bench presses 470), so my guess is he won't have a problem there.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Jimmy is going to measure in at about 6'2". A few video clips show him being about 2 - 3 inches taller than Golden Tate.

I think he'll be fine.
    RamsFan16

Tate's only 5'10.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Tate's only 5'10.
    Regardless, Clausen will be around 6'1" - 6'2". Being an inch short isn't going to make or break my decision of taking Clausen #1.
    RamsFan16

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I hate Jimmy Clausen and I will guarantee you he will not be successful. Suh is an opportunity you just cannot pass on. I was watching an interview with Coach Spags, and he said if there is a player in the draft that is someone you cant pass up (even though you dont need them) you have got to take them.. i related this to Suh.. one of the best DT's in the draft for decades.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

and to my post above.. we need a DT so carriker can move to end.. which makes us need him even more..

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I hate Jimmy Clausen and I will guarantee you he will not be successful. Suh is an opportunity you just cannot pass on. I was watching an interview with Coach Spags, and he said if there is a player in the draft that is someone you cant pass up (even though you dont need them) you have got to take them.. i related this to Suh.. one of the best DT's in the draft for decades.
    LMFAO, so the extreme hate for Clausen and the guarantee of him failing, are they related? * Rolls Eyes *
    RamsFan16

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    and to my post above.. we need a DT so carriker can move to end.. which makes us need him even more..

The ONLY way Carriker moves to end is maybe on rushing downs or at the goal line. Other than that, Carriker is too BIG, and too SLOW to be a 4-3 defensive end...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Jimmy is going to measure in at about 6'2". A few video clips show him being about 2 - 3 inches taller than Golden Tate.

I think he'll be fine.
    This is from Scott Wright's twitter following the ND-USC game (he was in attendence):

Got a real close look at Jimmy Clausen after the game. He appears to be a legit 6-3.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Suh is listed at 305, and I have a hard time believing he could come in at less than 290. A thing to note is that his coaches say he is pound-for-pound the most athletic player on the Husker squad
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Suh stated in an interview posted by Bald81 that he currently weighs in at 295. That's a good weight for his position.

As for Clausen's height, I guess we'll know after the Combine.

gmk05 is offline Registered User

I am 6ft 1/2in........you be the judge

Considering that you (I assume that's you) are standing behind him, you can't really tell much from that picture.

Like I said, I'll wait for the Combine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast