Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The most important prospect for the Rams' fortunes may be in my own backyard.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The most important prospect for the Rams' fortunes may be in my own backyard.

Assuming that Teddy Bridgewater is taken with the first pick, for a team to trade up to the No. 2 spot to grab a QB, two things have to happen:

1. A clear-cut second best QB prospect has to emerge from the pack; and
    2. That QB must be deemed sufficiently superior to warrant moving up, rather than waiting for another top QB prospect to drop.

So who could that second QB be?

Johnny Manziel? I think there is a chance that some teams might fall in love with him, but many will shy away from his size and off-the-field perceived immaturity.

Derek Carr? His arrow seems to be pointing down.

Brett Hundley? His stock has also dropped, and he may return to UCLA.

I think the guy who could emerge is Blake Bortles, from UCF (about 30 minutes from where I'm sitting right now).

His combination of size and arm talent has his arrow pointing up. He is a guy who really could ride the "hype machine" up the ranks to become a target for all the QB needy teams selecting after Houston (presumably) takes Bridgewater.

Hey Cleveland... what do you think of that Blake Bortles, kid? Seems like a combination of Otto Graham, Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar, no? Clearly, he's worth giving up that pick that Indy gifted to you, right?
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: The most important prospect for the Rams' fortunes may be in my own backyard.

That would be a nice scenario for sure AvR, now got a question for you: What do you think of Bortles I know there are some here highly prize him in this draft? I like McCarren and you like Grappolo either would be great for the Rams to groom up in case our Slingin' Sammy goes down again god forbid it! Hope he performs well in his bowl game and combine. Would be nice having some teams trying to bid for our pick that would be Les & Fish heaven I think. LOL

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The most important prospect for the Rams' fortunes may be in my own backyard.

Head to the campus and start scouting, my man!

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    That would be a nice scenario for sure AvR, now got a question for you: What do you think of Bortles I know there are some here highly prize him in this draft? I like McCarren and you like Grappolo either would be great for the Rams to groom up in case our Slingin' Sammy goes down again god forbid it! Hope he performs well in his bowl game and combine. Would be nice having some teams trying to bid for our pick that would be Les & Fish heaven I think. LOL
    To be honest, I view him as more of a late-first/second round prospect. While his upside may be higher, I don't think he earned his potentially lofty status on the field. In a way, he reminds me of Ryan Tannehill - a guy who rose a lot during draft season.

But, hey... perception is everything in the draft game, and if a team thinks he's worth the second pick in the draft, Les Snead can be reached at...
    Randart likes this.

Bortles, of course, has not declared yet. That said, I'm thinking she'd like him to sign that first pro contract:

There are a lot more photos of the likely future Mrs. Bortles, but many are borderline NSFW.

richtree is offline Registered User

Brett Hundley is a young strong, star that can run and throw -- He can do it all and is showing it right now against VaTech

If he comes out he is a lock for a Top Ten pick and will likely be top 5 because QBs fly up the board in the last 2 weeks prior to the draft.....

If he comes out he would be the big riser
    sosa39rams and Randart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    If he comes out he is a lock for a Top Ten pick and will likely be top 5 because QBs fly up the board in the last 2 weeks prior to the draft.....
    Tell us about it!

Signed,
    Blaine Gabbert & Christian Ponder

Kidding aside, I like Hundley but think he'd benefit from another season in school.
    HUbison likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I agree with Rich. If Hundley comes out, he's going to go high. I really hope he slips to round 2 so we can snag him, I believe he can be a great QB. With all that being said, I'd rather trade Cleveland and grab their first next year rather than their 2nd first rounder from IND this year.
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, Av, aside from what you posted, I knew nothing about BB. The following NFL.com/news article then is either in parallel to your view or perhaps a counterpoint.

I'm not sure how it would favor, or not, the Rams fortunes.

FWIW...

NFL.com/news/story/0ap2000000301149/article/film-room-ucfs-fastrising-blake-bortles-not-elite-qb

It's worth pointing out - or maybe not, who knows - that new Texans head coach Bill O'Brien saw both Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles in person this season. Bortles and UCF beat Penn State while Teddy lost by a field goal. So he'll have an advantage as someone who has gameplanned for and faced them in person on the opposing sideline.
    Randart likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

the Duke QB looks really good too.... paaser-wise he look to be as good as all the QB mentioned here.

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    the Duke QB looks really good too.... paaser-wise he look to be as good as all the QB mentioned here.
    if he just doesn't play like he did in the last half/three-fourths of the fourth quarter than yea, he looked pretty good (throws better than manziel other than those gaffs imo)

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I agree with Rich. If Hundley comes out, he's going to go high. I really hope he slips to round 2 so we can snag him, I believe he can be a great QB. With all that being said, I'd rather trade Cleveland and grab their first next year rather than their 2nd first rounder from IND this year.
    do not want hundley

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

i don't think there needs to be a clear-cut second best QB at all, though it would help.

I believe Jadaveon Clowney will be the prospect teams will covet and trade up for if he doesn't go number 1

If he does, then Bridgewater becomes our trading chip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast