Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The most important prospect for the Rams' fortunes may be in my own backyard.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Re: The most important prospect for the Rams' fortunes may be in my own backyard.

Going to be making some popcorn to watch this game tonight! As soon as this Rose Bowl is over we get to see what Bortles has to offer in a national televised game.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The most important prospect for the Rams' fortunes may be in my own backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's worth pointing out - or maybe not, who knows - that new Texans head coach Bill O'Brien saw both Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles in person this season. Bortles and UCF beat Penn State while Teddy lost by a field goal. So he'll have an advantage as someone who has gameplanned for and faced them in person on the opposing sideline.
    When did Penn State play Bridgewater's Louisville?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Penn State did not play Louisville.

JMO but Johnny Football made a bid for a top pick. He's as dynamic as anyone, he's played in the SEC and put up better numbers this year than his Heisman season. He's the size of Brees. Dynamic leader on the sidelines, terrific athlete, plays through injuries, gunslinger like Favre, just win baby attitude. The aTm o-coordinator commented early in the season that the way he verbally breaks down the defenses in their talks during the game is like talking to a seasoned coaching veteran. Just can't imagine how a franchise wouldn't want him. Reminds me of Steve McNair.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

JMO but Johnny Football made a bid for a top pick. He's as dynamic as anyone, he's played in the SEC and put up better numbers this year than his Heisman season. He's the size of Brees. Dynamic leader on the sidelines, terrific athlete, plays through injuries, gunslinger like Favre, just win baby attitude. The aTm o-coordinator commented early in the season that the way he verbally breaks down the defenses in their talks during the game is like talking to a seasoned coaching veteran. Just can't imagine how a franchise wouldn't want him. Reminds me of Steve McNair.
    Guess you and I were in the same theater but saw a different movie.

I think Manziel is undersized, immature, and relies far too much on "schoolyard football" plays (i.e. running around and then throwing the ball up for grabs to big WRs).

If the Rams were in the market for a QB with their first pick, he might not even crack the top 5 prospects I'd consider.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Guess you and I were in the same theater but saw a different movie.

I think Manziel is undersized, immature, and relies far too much on "schoolyard football" plays (i.e. running around and then throwing the ball up for grabs to big WRs).

If the Rams were in the market for a QB with their first pick, he might not even crack the top 5 prospects I'd consider.
    I agree he's immature and that may scare off NFL teams. But how is his play any different from what Russel Wilson does weekend and week out?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    To be honest, I view him as more of a late-first/second round prospect. While his upside may be higher, I don't think he earned his potentially lofty status on the field. In a way, he reminds me of Ryan Tannehill - a guy who rose a lot during draft season.

But, hey... perception is everything in the draft game, and if a team thinks he's worth the second pick in the draft, Les Snead can be reached at...
    ...1-800-2nd-pick.
    RealRam, AvengerRam and DE_Ramfan like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree he's immature and that may scare off NFL teams. But how is his play any different from what Russel Wilson does weekend and week out?
    Wilson, Steve McNair, RG3, D. McNabb was an option QB when he came out, Steve Young?
    If sacks are largely the fault of the QB, having a QB that can make dynamic plays on the run is a major advantage.

Evans is 6'5 but Walker is 6'2, Labhart is 5'9, Holmes is 5'11, Kennedy is 6'0.
    Don't see how that's a bunch of big receivers.

I remember people ranking Evans very highly not so long ago - if JFF is immature, what is Evans?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If Johnny Manziel can land on a team that ranks #4 in the NFL in rushing and #1 in the NFL in defense, he'll probably do just fine.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    do not want hundley
    That's because you root for USC. I agree he would greatly benefit from another year at UCLA where he can propel them to maybe getting into the playoffs. As you can guess I'm a UCLA fan. Even if he declares he's not the right player for us, but if we did take him, you'd know how I felt with John Robinson as our coach, Pat Haden playing QB and Charles White at RB. Just kidding with you.

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    When did Penn State play Bridgewater's Louisville?
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Sorry, I was looking at the wrong schedule!

demiurge is offline Registered User

There's an off chance Mariota comes out too - while he initially said he's coming back for his junior season, that's not binding and IIRC he recently requested a draft analysis to see where he might go. When he's healthy he looks great - such as his game against Texas when he got rid of the knee brace and let her rip.

Intriguing year. I trust Snead and Fisher to do a good job. If we were in any other division I'd say next year was our break out year - but the West is just a complete beast. We'll need to be a Superbowl contender in order to have a chance to win the division. Reminds me of the NFC East in the late 80s and early 90s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12