rams_man13 is offline Registered User

Moving Back Into The First Round

There's been a recent trend of teams taking the guy they want in the early first round and then trading future draft picks to move back into the first round.

Do you like this move for the Rams?

Maybe grab Curry and then move back into the first round to grab William Beatty or even Andre Smith?

Would a move like this require our 1st rounder next year and our second rounder this year or can teams make it work without the 1st rounder?

What are the odds that something like Pace, Holt and a second moves us back into the first?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Moving Back Into The First Round

Unlikely. Holt's probably as a good as gone now that's been made public that he wants to be released. And I don't think our organization would make an offer like that. Draft day trades usually only include other draft picks. There's not enough time to negotiate players, as there is too much more to consider at that point (contracts, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Unlikely. Holt's probably as a good as gone now that's been made public that he wants to be released. And I don't think our organization would make an offer like that. Draft day trades usually only include other draft picks. There's not enough time to negotiate players, as there is too much more to consider at that point (contracts, etc).
    Unlikely that the trade I said would get us back into the first round or unlikely that it will happen at all?

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

The Rams have to many needs to give up any draft picks to move up into the 1st Rd. The only way that would be possible is the Rams giving up the #2 pick moving back in the draft for more picks. If they did trade back , I would want them to use the extra picks on more players.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I agree Shan these holes won't be plugged in 1 year, let's not trade our future away.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

NO!!!!!!!! not next year's draft pick. Most of the teams that make those deals are established teams. We are not. However i see somting like this happening.

We take Jason Smith with the 2nd pick.

Then we trade our 2nd and 3rd round pick to the Patriots and pick up James Laurinitis.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Laurinitis is a guy i would trade up to get. If we go curry, and oher drops, i would be interested in trading up for him also. However, under no circumstances am i prepared to give up a 2010 #1 to move up. We could be really lousy this year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If we go with an OT, I'd consider a trade back up for Heyward-Bey or Laurinitis if either if them fell.

I agree, I wouldn't want to give up a first rounder either, but for the right price, I think this is a great idea.

I mean, it's not really established teams who do this, Cleveland and Atlanta are the last two teams I can remember.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

IMO we are taking Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe. So we still need a MLB.

There is a way we can get back into the 1st round and get James Laurinatis:

Most likely the Patriots are going to take him 23. However we can make a trade with the patriots for the 23rd pick. I will use the draft trade value chart just so i dont takeaway too much from the patriots.

Patriots get:
    Rams 2nd round pick, Pick 35 (550 points)
    Rams 3rd round pick, Pick 66 (260 points)

Value 810 points

Rams get:
    Patriots 1st round pick, Pick 23 (760 points)
    Patriots 4th round pick, Pick 120 (54 points)

Value 814 points

Anylasis: IMO it is a pretty even trade. And if the Patriots do not like the 4 point differnce (i know its stupid) then we can just swap 7th rounders with them which will give them a little more value.

Why the Patriots would do it: Patriots hate giving money to 1st round picks because it is just too much. Also the Patriots basically live on later round picks. With there Front Office i they would perfer to get back-to-back picks in the 2nd round and pick up Clint Sintim and DJ Moore.

Why the Rams would do it: They get there OT early then they can get a starting Mike LB. He is a very good tackler which is the biggest need on defense for the rams. Did you know that Laurinaitis won the Nagurski Award in 2006 (Best D-Player) and the Butkus (Best LB) in 2007 and will be available in the late 1st round. I think the Patriots 4th rounder could be very important to the Rams because they would still have the same amount of draft picks. They can address CB in Keenen Lewis with the early 4th rounder and a back-up Qb with the late 4th rounder in Rhett Bomar.