Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

  1. #16
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    What I like about Austin is that he's a game breaker. The Rams could use a game breaker.
    Still, the spread WRs are still difficult to see how they translate to the NFL. As a neophyte it is difficult to determine how well they run NFL type routes. So many of their routes are just basically drifting across the defense and getting the ball as they drift between defenders. Those routes fluff their numbers dramatically.

    Last year everyone loved Justin Blackmon but right now I'd rather have our Chris Givens than Justin Blackmon. Rams got a steal with Givens as a #2 WR. Neither is elite but Givens offers more game breaking type play IMO.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -03-28-2013 at 12:12 PM.


  2. #17
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,604
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    to be fair, amendola averaged 11.4 yards a carry his senior year at texas tech...so the nfl translation of a minus 3 yards seems reasonable...sure, austin is faster, but so is the nfl
    Actually I disagree that NFL players are faster than college players. Logic tells me that players slow down with age, not speed up.

    Now obviously there will undoubtedly be some exceptions, but I think if we took a survey of all NFL players, my guess would be that most would tell you that they were faster in college than they are today.

  3. #18
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,565
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Actually I disagree that NFL players are faster than college players. Logic tells me that players slow down with age, not speed up.

    Now obviously there will undoubtedly be some exceptions, but I think if we took a survey of all NFL players, my guess would be that most would tell you that they were faster in college than they are today.
    I certainly agree that age saps speed. I am becoming personally aware of that every day I'm on this planet.

    But also, we have to figure that only the fastest and strongest NCAA players are even making it to the NFL. A college roster may have 4 or 5 NFL players on it. But an NFL roster has 53 NFL players on it.
    Nick likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  4. #19
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,604
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I certainly agree that age saps speed. I am becoming personally aware of that every day I'm on this planet.

    But also, we have to figure that only the fastest and strongest NCAA players are even making it to the NFL. A college roster may have 4 or 5 NFL players on it. But an NFL roster has 53 NFL players on it.
    Partly true Hub, but how many of the 53 are actually faster than they were in college? I would guess it'd be a very low %.

    Plus we can't necessarily assume that only the strongest and fastest make it to the NFL. And just as that is not necessarily true, we can't assume that those who don't make it don't have speed.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.

  5. #20
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,345
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Partly true Hub, but how many of the 53 are actually faster than they were in college? I would guess it'd be a very low %.

    Plus we can't necessarily assume that only the strongest and fastest make it to the NFL. And just as that is not necessarily true, we can't assume that those who don't make it don't have speed.
    Maybe you don't, and that's fine, but I myself feel pretty safe in assuming that, as a whole, the rosters of professional football teams represent a higher level of speed/athleticism/strength than the rosters of college football teams.

    Yes, there are instances when guys who aren't necessarily the fastest or the strongest don't make it to the NFL, and yes, all players will slow down over time.

    But I believe when you're comparing the entire body of players in the NFL to the entire body of players in college, the NFL players stand superior. They are, in what I believe is the vast majority of instances, the best of the best.

    Some would argue that's all the more reason to go after a guy with Austin's type of speed. If the NFL is faster, then you're going to need speed to compete.

  6. #21
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,604
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe you don't, and that's fine, but I myself feel pretty safe in assuming that, as a whole, the rosters of professional football teams represent a higher level of speed/athleticism/strength than the rosters of college football teams.

    Yes, there are instances when guys who aren't necessarily the fastest or the strongest don't make it to the NFL, and yes, all players will slow down over time.

    But I believe when you're comparing the entire body of players in the NFL to the entire body of players in college, the NFL players stand superior. They are, in what I believe is the vast majority of instances, the best of the best.

    Some would argue that's all the more reason to go after a guy with Austin's type of speed. If the NFL is faster, then you're going to need speed to compete.
    That is true and I agree 100% with that, but that was not my original opposition to Citr92's post.

    It was only that NFL players are not necessarily faster than college players.

  7. #22
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,897
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Partly true Hub, but how many of the 53 are actually faster than they were in college? I would guess it'd be a very low %.

    Plus we can't necessarily assume that only the strongest and fastest make it to the NFL. And just as that is not necessarily true, we can't assume that those who don't make it don't have speed.
    Even if they aren't the fastest and the strongest, they are the best. Which means they are in better position, take better angles, and are harder to get to bite on fakes. In college, some of these guys are fast, but they aren't good otherwise, so your opening is still bigger. The NFL, it's not the same way.

    Every NFL player/prospect even mentions it. They talk about how much faster the speed of the game is and how hard it is to adjust. It might be because they are faster, or it might be because when you catch that pass over the middle, the OLB has already read the play and adjusted and his hands are already coming down on you, as opposed to being 5 yards away and just picking up on the play.

  8. #23
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,604
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Even if they aren't the fastest and the strongest, they are the best. Which means they are in better position, take better angles, and are harder to get to bite on fakes. In college, some of these guys are fast, but they aren't good otherwise, so your opening is still bigger. The NFL, it's not the same way.

    Every NFL player/prospect even mentions it. They talk about how much faster the speed of the game is and how hard it is to adjust. It might be because they are faster, or it might be because when you catch that pass over the middle, the OLB has already read the play and adjusted and his hands are already coming down on you, as opposed to being 5 yards away and just picking up on the play.
    I've already agreed with most of this premise. No sense beating a dead horse.

  9. #24
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,565
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Partly true Hub, but how many of the 53 are actually faster than they were in college? I would guess it'd be a very low %.
    Could be; I honestly have no idea.

    But wouldn't that also apply to Austin? Will he not slow down as well?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #25
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,604
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Could be; I honestly have no idea.

    But wouldn't that also apply to Austin? Will he not slow down as well?
    Of course, but barring a catastrophic injury (which some say will happen soon ), I don't see it happening in the relative near future.

  11. #26
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    What I like about Austin is that he's a game breaker. The Rams could use a game breaker.
    Still, the spread WRs are still difficult to see how they translate to the NFL. As a neophyte it is difficult to determine how well they run NFL type routes. So many of their routes are just basically drifting across the defense and getting the ball as they drift between defenders. Those routes fluff their numbers dramatically.

    Last year everyone loved Justin Blackmon but right now I'd rather have our Chris Givens than Justin Blackmon. Rams got a steal with Givens as a #2 WR. Neither is elite but Givens offers more game breaking type play IMO.
    If you average out Justin Blackmon's second half of the season stats to a full 16 game season then you will see that he put up pro bowl numbers. Learning the position and not having one of the worst QB's in NFL history throwing you the ball makes a big difference. I'm glad the Rams have Givens but I would trade Givens for Blackmon in a heartbeat.

  12. #27
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,897
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Multi-dimensional threats in demand in NFL draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I've already agreed with most of this premise. No sense beating a dead horse.
    I needed the exercise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
  2. is Martz really that much in demand?
    By Ramblin` Ram in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
  3. Will Anyone Demand a Trade?
    By rams 24/7 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -09-25-2008, 12:07 AM
  4. Woman who hit Big Ben getting threats
    By Bruce=GOAT in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -06-20-2006, 03:38 PM
  5. One-dimensional game plan plays into 'Skins hands
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-05-2005, 08:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •