Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

My 2nd to last Rams Mock |Comments Please|One Trade| (4.25.06), analysis for 3rds

Comments please.

The Rams trade the #11th pick overall to the Minnesota Vikings for the 17th Overall pick and the 83rd Overall pick.

Round 1, Pick 17: Ernie Sims LB, Flordia State
    Reason: The Rams move down and attack a need which is the LB position. The Rams can move Pisa Tinoisamoa to the SLB position where he has played and can play effectively there. Sims brings play making ability and is a great tackler.

Round 2, Pick 46: Marcedes Lewis TE, U.C.L.A
    Reason: The Rams have a big need at Tight End. THey have picked Tight Ends later on in the draft and htey haven't panned out ala Brandon Manumaleuna. Lewis is a big guy at 6'6" 261lbs. Although he needs to put on some more strenght this guy is going to be a playmaker for life in the NFL.

Round 3, Pick 77: Darnell Bing S, USC
    Reason: The Rams need help at the Safety position. Darnell Bing is a big, hard hitting safety at 6'2" 227lbs. He is great at stopping the run and has great instincts. And has great strenght and power. He is a SS who is a Ball Hawk, and playmaker. The Rams are suprised he is still here and pull the trigger.

Round 3, Pick 83: Brian Calhoun RB, Wisconsin
    Reason: The Rams need a good change up back to help Steven Jackson in the future. Faulk isn't going to play more than 2 more seasons. Calhoun is good in size at 5'10" 201 lbs and has explosive cutting speed and get inside the gap. Also can return Kicks and Punts which the Rams need.

Round 4, Pick 109: Barry Cofield DT, Northwestern State

Round 5, Pick 144: Marvin Philip C, California

Round 6, Pick 183: Lawrence Vickers FB, Colorado

Round 7, Pick 221: John Torp P, Colorado

Round 7, Pick 242: Lawrence Pinson ILB, Oklahoma State

Round 7, Pick 243: Quinton Porter QB, Boston College

RamsFan16

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Re: My 2nd to last Rams Mock |Comments Please|One Trade| (4.25.06), analysis for 3rds

Sounds pretty good to me. I think that if Huff is picked before us, we should trade down a few (as you suggested) because imo the top 8 or so is great and then there are a lot of similar players lumped in the middle.
    Calhoun sounds like a fun player for our offense and this is probably Faulk's last year. It seems like most teams are going to two good backs these days.
    I think a TE, Lewis or Pope in the 2nd round is a given from what I have heard about Linehan's offense.

tanus is offline Registered User

Re: My 2nd to last Rams Mock |Comments Please|One Trade| (4.25.06), analysis for 3rds

the only pick i dont really like is the FB in the 6th round. id rather see us get a 2nd lineman through the draft. otherwise, pretty damn good.

general counsel is offline Registered User

What was on the board at 11 when we traded down? Was ngata there? how about bunkley? Was klopfenstein on the board when we took lewis in round 2? Not criticisms, just questions on those picks.

I agree that i wouldnt take a fullback. There is nothing at all wrong with hedgecock, massey can play there in an absolute emergency and we arent going to carry another one. I would pick a different position there, probably o line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i like your picks,as for gc questions,i have been reading that ngata could be a bit overrated, bunkley i would take at 11 and i really like the te pick in the 2nd round.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Well the FB in the 6th was chosen due to BPA.

What was on the board at 11 when we traded down?
    Ngata was there but also was Jay Cutler. The Vikings offered the Rams alot to trade up to snag up. That was the reasoning.

Was ngata there?
    Yes.

How about bunkley?
    No.

Was klopfenstein on the board when we took lewis in round 2?
    Yes he was but I just like Lewis over Klopfenstein. IMO he is a bigger playmaker and Linehan wants that.

Thanks for the comments so far guys.
    RamsFan16

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Its a good draft, and i do like it a lot. My only problem is that Sims is a natural WLB, just like Pisa. I would prefer to have a guy that is a natural playing SLB. I think Pisa and Sims are too small for it, they would have a hard time making plays.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    The Vikings offered the Rams alot to trade up to snag up.
    Well, not really. Our first round pick is worth 1250 points. The Vikings' first round pick and third round pick (83rd overall) is worth a combined 1125. We'd actually be losing value in this trade.

As for the mock, I agree with tomahawk about Sims. He wouldn't be my first choice, especially if we traded down and had a shot at a guy like Donte Whitner or one of the other top DBs. Maybe even a bigger linebacker like Ryans or Carpenter.

My stance on Lewis is probably well known. Would be a fine pick, but I prefer a guy like Klopfenstein who is faster and a better blocker. He did 27 reps of 225, displaying very good upper body strength. I see him with more potential as an in-line blocker and a better overall package than Lewis.

Bing has been slipping a bit, but probably not so much that he'd be available for us in the third round. I'm okay with drafting Calhoun in the third if we acquire an extra pick; if we're using our only third round pick on him, then I'd be kind of disappointed.

Day Two is okay. I'd rather take another LB or a DE in the sixth overall a fullback that likely would not make the roster.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-26-2006 at 12:39 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Whats scary is you knew about a player from Northwestern STATE....not Northwestern but Northwestern STATE....

You know 16, females are a great accessory for a male. I recommend accessorizing as much as possible.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Whats scary is you knew about a player from Northwestern STATE....not Northwestern but Northwestern STATE....

You know 16, females are a great accessory for a male. I recommend accessorizing as much as possible.
    Well, actually it is Northwestern. 16 screwed up when he added "State". However, your point remains the same.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I like round 2 and 3. I dont know how I feel about Ernie Sims though. If the Rams trade down, I would prefer to see DeMeco Ryans or Bobby Carpenter selected. Sims completes a very small LB corps. I would be very worried about their ability to handle the run.

As for Calhoun. I like the pick a lot. He's a lot like Faulk and has great speed. He would be the perfect change of pace back and could handle PR and KR duties.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

I see your point on Carpenter, but there's only a 3 lb. difference between Sims (232) and Ryans (235).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I see your point on Carpenter, but there's only a 3 lb. difference between Sims (232) and Ryans (235).
    Also consider Ryans has two inches on Sims as well though. He's not massively larger, but when you're already starting two weak-side type guys, every bit counts.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Also consider Ryans has two inches on Sims as well though. He's not massively larger, but when you're already starting two weak-side type guys, every bit counts.
    If that extra 2 inches means he has room to add another 10 pounds, I'm in.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

If that extra 2 inches means he has room to add another 10 pounds, I'm in.
    Ryans is going to add weight. He's already been told by a few scouts that he needs to add 10-15 pounds if he wants to be as effective at SLB.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast