throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My Analysis of the Rams' Day 1

It was no secret going into today that the Rams hd their biggest needs in two areas: O line (OT primarily) and DB (safety primarily). Given that, the picks were no surprise. Here's my review.

Round 1: Alex Barron, OT, FSU
    Great pick. I had Barron as the top OT in the draft. He's best at pass protection, which is the Rams' biggest need. A true value at pick 19. Having played at the highest level of college competition, I expect him to make a smooth transition into the Rams' opening day starting lineup.

Round 2: Ronald Bartell, Jr., CB, Howard
    In all likelihood, most teams didn't have him rated this high. So... is he the next Jacoby Shepard? Or is he the next Travis Fisher, Pisa Tinoisamoa or Anthony Hargrove? We'll see. I like that he has the size to play safety, and his speed is intriguing. An interesting wait-and-see prospect.

Round 3: Oshiomogho Atogwe, S, Stanford
    Geez! Just when I finally learned to pronounce Tinoisamoa and Manumaleuna... Seriously, this is a great pick. He could be in the opening day starting lineup - not bad for a player obtained essentially in exchange for Robert Gordon.

Round 3: Richie Incognito, G/C, Nebraska
    Hopefully, his character issues are behind him. The talent certainly seems to be there. Perhaps the Rams could have waited on this guy, but, if he contributes, we'll forgive the Rams for a quick trigger on him.

Suddenly, the Rams' depth on the O line and at DB looks pretty decent:

O line: Pace, Barron, Timmerman, McCollum, Sapaia, Tercero, Tucker, Incognito

DB: Fisher, Butler, Archuleta, Stone, Hawthorne, Groce, Atogwe, Bartell, Garrett

Things are looking up.

OVERALL DAY 1 GRADE: B+

general counsel Guest

Re: My Analysis of the Rams' Day 1

I will say this much, the safety position no longer looks Barron of talent, and the identity of our right tackle is no longer Incognito.

I like the look of the draft.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

GC, folks! He'll be here all week!

SFCRamFan Guest

Av, I agree that we stayed focused on our needs for a change. I like what we got today. It was also refreshing that we didn't have any off the wall picks for "projects." Overall today focused on needs and that is just what needed to happen.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Overall rating, B+ or even A. Specially w/ our 1st pick, Barron.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I like all the picks except for the 2nd round. But in that case I haven't passed judgement because I've never seen the guy play. He definitely has the measurables and the attitude to make it. Hopefully Schott can teach him a few things.

Good Day 1 overall.

My Grade: B
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -04-23-2005 at 10:52 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

My analysis...

1(19): Alex Barron, T, FSU
    -Ranked as the best offensive tackle prospect in this draft. Concerns about his intensity aside, his phsyical talents make him a great answer for our right tackle concerns. And who better to learn under than Pace, a multi-year Pro Bowl tackle? Very pleased with this pick.

2(50): Ronald Bartell, CB, Howard
    -I think we took him too high, but I don't think he's a bad selection. Bartell has the size to play safety and looked great against smaller school competition. He might be a bit of a project, but he should help out immediately on special teams.

3(66): Oshiomogho Atogwe, S, Stanford
    -Great selection by the Rams. I have Atogwe ranked as the third best FS behind Pool and Bullocks, and would have been happy had we taken him in the second round. Taking him in the third is a great value pick, and he could see significant time this season if he does well in camp.

3(81): Richie Incognito, C, Nebraska
    -Bit of a character concern, but the guy has borderline first round talent. If you can put the headcase stuff aside, I think Richie gives us some solid depth at G/C. Hopefully he gets his stuff in gear and buckles down to learn some football and help this team out.

DAY ONE GRADE: B
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tony Soprano Guest

1) I think Barron was a mistake. He's not rated high as a football player. Great
    athlete and potential always loses out to a smashmouth guy that loves to play.
    Lack of strength a major issue. Reported that coaches had to constantly push him. Doesn't like to work out, and has lost 8lbs since the season ended.

2) I have watched this guy (from Howard) play and heard him interviewed on ESPN Radio Friday night. I was hoping the Rams would draft him. I didn't think he would go this early, but he's a football player. Also is close to his family and has great character. No off the field issues with this guy.

The Rams were amongst the teams attempting to trade up to get Jammal Brown.
    New Orleans was a better fit because Houston didn't want to slip all the way back to 19. It is clear the Rams, along with most of the NFL, had Jammal Brown rated above Barron.

How is Barron "not rated high as a football player"? Virtually every analyst had him at the No. 1 OT (above Brown). At worst, he was the second best OT in the draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    He's not rated high as a football player.
    You're right - he should have been a Day Two pick at best. :bored:

Alex Barron was regularly graded as the best offensive tackle in this draft, and consistently was projected to go anywhere from 10-13. Our getting him at 19 is a great deal on the Rams' part.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramstiles is online now Registered User

I think this is a great draft not sure about Ronald Bartell, CB, Howard but we have got players and need our weakness has been addressed on day 1

Alex Barron, T, FSU No 1 OT just because we picked him suddenly hes not so good at 19 great value he should have gone in the top 10 Great Pick

Ronald Bartell, CB, Howard not sure about him appears to be a footballer but a bit raw good potential you would have thought he would be available later but if the rams had a high grade on him so might someone else We will see

Oshiomogho Atogwe, S, Stanford Great pick.I can see him getting a lot of game time

Richie Incognito, C, Nebraska Bit of a character concern, I agree but I think hes a going to be a good player

DAY ONE GRADE: A

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

You're right - he should have been a Day Two pick at best
    I dunno, I was thinking there was an outside chance we'd get him as an Undrafted Free Agent.

I can't believe how many people are down on this selection. The experts agree this is the ONLY player in the draft who has a good chance of translating into a franchise LT. If we have two franchise LT's on the roster at each end, our QB's are in great hands.

Then again, it's always raining in Soprano land I suppose.

Alex Barron, T, FSU No 1 OT just because we picked him suddenly hes not so good at 19 great value he should have gone in the top 10 Great Pick
    Some people just don't get it. It's a great pick especially for 19.

woodyramfan1 Guest

Thumbs up Re: My Analysis of the Rams' Day 1

I think Mad Mike and Charley did their homework very well and did better in this draft (overall) than in any of their previous ones. Surely you have to give them an A for drafting the best available players at their spot in the draft. Please remember that they didn't draft before the 19th spot. Unless you all were planning on them moving up in the draft I can't see how they could have gotten any better players than they did. Also they did look to draft for need which I:ramlogo: have always thought was the best way to draft.

Tony Soprano Guest

Barron is Boom or Bust. A right tackle has to be able to effectively Run block.
    This guy doesn't have the strength to effectively run block.

Mike Golic was a DEF Lineman in the NFL and he says this guy can't play Right Tackle in the NFL. John Clayton said teams were not interested in Barron early, but were trying to trade up to get Jammal Brown.

Take Houston, remember the Texans are in great need of OT. Remember they were trying to sign Orlando Pace and have had a long quest for good OT. That's the team that passed on Barron TWICE. First when they traded with NO and then with NO's slot.

Take off your rose-colored glasses. Some on here would've cheered any pick the Rams made. IMO, the guys that naturally like to strap it on and go to war are much better football players. At some point, motivation needs to come from within. This guy is gentle and mild, and it's been wildly reported that his college coaches had to constantly push him.

You have a guy that's NOT a great competitor then you give him Millions of dollars... Not a good coupling... Look for complacency.

Barron's been the top guy on my draft board for two months. I never thought the Rams would have a shot at him. So, how exactly has my opinion been influenced by the fact that the Rams did get him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast