RAMarkable is offline Registered User

My assessment of the first 3 rounds of the draft

In analyzing all the pre-draft information I have come to the following conclusions regarding the direction the Rams will go this weekend (assuming they stay in the present draft positions.)

1.) The Rams will draft for defense in the first 2 rounds.

2.) The first pick will be for the a DL prospect and the 2nd round pick will be for a DB. (This order could be reversed if a DB is taken first.)

3.) The first pick in Round 3 will be for an OL.

4.) The Rams' final pick of round 3 will be for the best defensive player on their board.

5.) One potential caveat is if the Rams trade down (Philly?) and secure extra 2nd and 3rd round picks.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: My assessment of the first 3 rounds of the draft

I think they have to address the right tackle position in the first two rounds. I could see them going defense with three of the four first day picks, but one of the first two has to be OT, in my opinion.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I think they have to address the right tackle position in the first two rounds. I could see them going defense with three of the four first day picks, but one of the first two has to be OT, in my opinion.
    Nick, I agree, and in fact will take it one step further. The Rams have to address OT in the 1st round. If they go elsewhere in the 1st, the only OT worth having in the 2nd is Adam Terry (IMHO) and he will probably be gone, by #50. If we're going to skip over OT in the 1st round, we might as well wait until the 3rd where there is some value to be had (Willis, Colmer, Parquet). And of course, that means that either Saipaia or Tercero will be spending the entire year at RT....hope Bulger's medical insurance is paid up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I really hope we take a OT in the first round. I can't think of any RT's that will be cut, other than Scott Gragg, which leaves us with Scotty Tercero at RT. Don't get me wrong, I really like Tercero, but he is much better suited at guard.

I am comfortable with a Saipaia/Tecero guard combination starting on the line when Timmerman retires.

Another problem spot that's really left me wondering is Free Safety. I don't know how Hawthorne did during his time there, and he can obviously tackle. But how will he do as a starter for the full year.

I really want to see a OT-FS combo of picks in rounds 1 and 2.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd like to see a free safety too, but the problem is Arch doesn't seem to be moving back to SS any time soon. The move to FS is predicated by his back injury, and from what I've read, it doesn't sound like something he's going to completely recover from. So we're probably going to need a starter at SS immediately as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I assumed with pisa staying at LB that Arch would go back to SS If we go safety we must take OT in round 2 we cant leave it any later

In some mocks I've recently they have barron dropping to 19 who do you think the rams would take if both barron and davies are available

I think we need OT in 1 it solidify the OL for years to come thats all we need on offense

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Ramstiles, Barron would be tempting but I just can't see any scenario where he would drop that far. And I really don't believe the Rams would expend the capital to move up very far to get him.

One possible scenario that has been intiguing me is that, say, Philadelphia could trade up with the Rams to acquire Matt Jones. A combination of Jones with T. Owens would be a force to be reckoned with. Also, Philly has shown the propensity in recent drafts to target a player and move up to get him. The Rams pick at 19 could be a valuable commodity.

WHAT SAY YE?