Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My case against drafting another WR

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

My case against drafting another WR

The Rams could be in a position to draft one of the top WR prospects in the 2014 draft.

That sounds tempting.

WRs are exciting. They have great highlight films. They get press.

But that's not really the question, is it?

The question is, do the Rams have enough at WR already?

I think they do.

I think that Quick, Austin, Givens, Pettis and Bailey will continue to develop, and will become a very good WR corps. There are other needs that can be filled with the high draft picks, including the OL (which will help the passing game significantly).

The other reason I feel this way is that I don't see a "freak" in this year's crop of WRs.

To me, a "freak" is a guy who is at least 6'3, weighs at least 215 lbs., and runs a 4.40 or better. Who in this year's draft fits that profile?

Even if there was a "freak," I'd still have misgivings.

How many playoff games has Calvin Johnson won?
    How about Andre Johnson?
    How about Dez Bryant?
    How about Julio Jones?
    How about A.J. Green?

"Freak" WRs don't guarantee anything, other than a strong presence on Madden.

So put me down for a "no" on drafting a WR in next year's draft.
    Torry Holt likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: My case against drafting another WR

Well we took Issac Bruce and Torry Holt right? They certainly did make a difference.

Calvin Johnson definately has been a difference maker for Detriot as has AJ Greene. What thaey may lack in play off or superbowls appearances they make up for by pressuring opposing defense to game plan for them.

Brian Quick is most defiantly not a #1 receiver, and neither is Pettis.
    Bailey........ well he hasnt cracked the lineup yet and is relagated to special teams duty.

I think the Rams would benefit by conceding they made WR draft mistakes and get a legitamte #1 receiver and an Oline man in rd1. However-- im not opposed to seeing Mathews and Richardson..... but another year without a real receiver just grates on me.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Well we took Issac Bruce and Torry Holt right? They certainly did make a difference.
    Bruce (who was a second round pick) didn't win a lot of games during his first few years, did he? As for Holt, he was added the same year as Warner, Faulk and Timmerman, so its pretty difficult to isolate his immediate impact.

Calvin Johnson definately has been a difference maker for Detriot as has AJ Greene. What thaey may lack in play off or superbowls appearances they make up for by pressuring opposing defense to game plan for them.
    I never said they are not difference makers.

Brian Quick is most defiantly not a #1 receiver,
    Yet (unless you're a psychic, that's all you can say).

and neither is Pettis.
    I'd agree with that, but who said he is?

Bailey........ well he hasnt cracked the lineup yet and is relagated to special teams duty.
    How many WRs do you think can play at a time?

I think the Rams would benefit by conceding they made WR draft mistakes and get a legitamte #1 receiver and an Oline man in rd1. However-- im not opposed to seeing Mathews and Richardson..... but another year without a real receiver just grates on me.
    Who is the mistake?

Pettis, who is developing nicely?
    Givens, who has shown promise?
    Quick, who is starting to show flashes in his second season?
    Austin and Bailey, who haven't even logged a full season in the NFL?

You are WAY too quick to give up on young WRs. Not long ago, I did an analysis of all of the current WRs who had 1,000 yard seasons, and found that, on average, most cracked the 1,000 yard barrier in their 2nd or 3rd season. To give up on a two rookies, two second year players, and a third year player at this point is ill advised.

I think there are more pressing needs (OL, CB, S, possibly DT and RB) at this point.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

O-line & secondary - BPA after that!

citr92 is offline Registered User

exactly, these receivers are young

if you want a number 1

free agency really is the way to go imo since veterans are nice to have with so many young players

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Those are all valid points.

But if the Rams decide to draft, say, Sammy Watkins, I'm okay with that, too.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Those are all valid points.

But if the Rams decide to draft, say, Sammy Watkins, I'm okay with that, too.
    I'm not too sure Nick, while AV says that there is not a "freak" in the draft this year, Evans could prove to be this years Julio Jones. Since WR's often rise during the draft process his draft stock could warrant a high draft pick. With that being said, I still think we should go OT and S in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Bruce (who was a second round pick) didn't win a lot of games during his first few years, did he? As for Holt, he was added the same year as Warner, Faulk and Timmerman, so its pretty difficult to isolate his immediate impact.

I never said they are not difference makers.

Yet (unless you're a psychic, that's all you can say).

I'd agree with that, but who said he is?

How many WRs do you think can play at a time?

Who is the mistake?

Pettis, who is developing nicely?
    Givens, who has shown promise?
    Quick, who is starting to show flashes in his second season?
    Austin and Bailey, who haven't even logged a full season in the NFL?

You are WAY too quick to give up on young WRs. Not long ago, I did an analysis of all of the current WRs who had 1,000 yard seasons, and found that, on average, most cracked the 1,000 yard barrier in their 2nd or 3rd season. To give up on a two rookies, two second year players, and a third year player at this point is ill advised.

I think there are more pressing needs (OL, CB, S, possibly DT and RB) at this point.
    The mistake I am referring to is the draft palcement of these guys. Quick in rd 2, Bailye rd 3, and yes im going to say it-- Austin via a trade up and loss of a draft pick. While I realize many of us here are high on Austin, I would have liked to see Rams have another player here .

Do we really think that any of our receiving corps is a legitamte #1 receiver?
    I guess if we can prove we can win games consitanlty with these guys then fine... but it hasnt happened yet.

I do like Givens as a #2 WR-- which I posted recently somewhere. My main issue is that the rest of the WR are maybe average at best IMO.

Bailey, who I liked when I watch his WV film, cant even crack into the lineup.

Quick's draft position is certainly debatable.

With Bailey and Austin, its too soon to draw a conclusion.

I think what Im really trying to say, or vent, is that the Rams have been wallowing in sub-mediocracy for a long time. There's numerous factors such as coaching and front office, and of course- player personnel.

The Rams have drafted poorly for a long time. Then we make a great trade-- almost Dickerson-esque; and compile a lot of picks. IMO like the Dickerson trade, many of these picks have been too casually spent.
    Im not sitting here posting about Quick, Pead, Austin etc.... if we drafted them in the 4th round or didnt give up high picks to get them. But we did; and so far the result is the same old song for the Rams that we have seen for almost a decade now. It really burns me up, and Im sure it does for most of us here, that teams like Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis (from a 2-14 team), etc... can really turn it around in a good way.

For whatever the reason is or isnt, the Rams cant seem to stumble or trip over that rock that nets them difference makers.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

People need to stop thinking of Pettis as the player he was 2 seasons ago. He's a decent starting WR in the NFL. He has good hands, runs quality routes, Bradford obviously trusts him to be where he's supposed to be.

Givens and Austin are quality. Quick was a high ceiling, low floor type receiver who hasn't developed as planned. That's fine. Same with Pead. You take a chance, sometimes you get Trumaine Johnson, sometimes you get Pead.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Evans might be the closest to those mentioned as freaks, but I don't know that he possess the speed the others have. You have the love the way he goes up and gets the ball though.

I don't think we should take one in the first this year, but watching our receivers drop ball after ball makes it harder to support that argument.

citr92 is offline Registered User

whoever never drops a pass......get him

and get a coach that doesn't just have players go half speed....from what i hear

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I think what Im really trying to say, or vent, is that the Rams have been wallowing in sub-mediocracy for a long time. There's numerous factors such as coaching and front office, and of course- player personnel.

The Rams have drafted poorly for a long time. Then we make a great trade-- almost Dickerson-esque; and compile a lot of picks. IMO like the Dickerson trade, many of these picks have been too casually spent.
    Im not sitting here posting about Quick, Pead, Austin etc.... if we drafted them in the 4th round or didnt give up high picks to get them. But we did; and so far the result is the same old song for the Rams that we have seen for almost a decade now. It really burns me up, and Im sure it does for most of us here, that teams like Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis (from a 2-14 team), etc... can really turn it around in a good way.

For whatever the reason is or isnt, the Rams cant seem to stumble or trip over that rock that nets them difference makers.
    Not so sure that is true.

Quinn
    Long
    Brockers
    JL
    Jenkins
    Tree

Those guys have all made a difference IMO.

Stacy
    DRich
    GZ
    Givens

These guys are all later round picks that have played well and we all seem to rip the early picks that have taken longer to get a chance and develop. The last two regimes never found a late round pick and never found UDFA. London Fletcher and Farr where long before..

Johnny Hekker had a huge impact on Monday night. The old regime spent how much on Donnie Jones?

I think when you lump in what Les and Fisher have done in what a year and a half with a decade of losing is kind of the wrong way to look at it. It's way to early to pass judgement, that day will come it always does, it is too early IMO.

You don't even give the FO credit for the trade or turning the picks into more picks.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.

You make some valid points, but I am referring specifically to our WR area, where we have used 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks that have netted us perhaps 1 player- and thats Givens.

Can we truly say that our WR corps stikes fear into the opposing teams defense? I doubt we can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast