View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avery/Burton/Drafted WR and Curry/Witherspoon/Pisa

29 50.00%
  • Crabtree/Avery/Burton and Draft/Witherspoon/Pisa

13 22.41%
  • Neither, I want an O-Lineman

16 27.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

My case for Michael Crabtree...

Now that it is only a matter of days before Torry "Big Game" Holt is officially off the Rams roster, and having big games for other teams, our WR suddenly look like a college football team..with Dane Looker being our slot reciever and no dominate #1 wide receiver. While I feel Donnie Avery is a great reciever, i dont think he is anything more then a #2 Reciever...and no way Keenan Burton is #2 Reciever potential, he is a slot reciever. So if the Rams pass on Crabtree, and draft a WR in round 2, i doubt he hops Burton..leaving our WR at:
    #1-Donnie Avery
    #2-Keenan Burton
    #3-Drafted WR
    While improving our line is important for our QB and RB play, the QB NEEDS people to be able to pass to..and the RB needs to have Recievers who can keep the defense honest and who won't be thinking Run most of the time...for those who saw State of the Franchise on the Rams..you all saw that we are running a Phildelphia Eagles offense..that is a balanced offense meaning that we will still be passing a good amount..Crabtree is a IDEAL WCO WR...guy is strong and can get a ton of YAC...He had 227 catches and 40 touchdowns and 3,097 in only two seasons! Also, we all saw that play at the end of the game vs Texas for the victory...

While i wouldn't mind us taking Aaron Curry, i think it would be a mistake because I would much rather have Chris Draft lined up as one of our linebackers, then having recievers much higher in the depth chart then they should be

Just think, would you rather have
    #1-Michael Crabtree
    #2-Donnie Avery
    #3-Keenan Burton
    or
    #1-Donnie Avery
    #2-Keenan Burton
    #3-Drafted WR
    ?
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -03-05-2009 at 12:33 AM.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Re: My case for Michael Crabtree...

I want Curry, but you had a great point with that last line, so hopefully if we take him we can fill the void with FA or maybe even a gem WR later in the draft rounds..

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    I want Curry, but you had a great point with that last line, so hopefully if we take him we can fill the void with FA or maybe even a gem WR later in the draft rounds..
    or maybe a terrell owens

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

NO T.O.!!!!!!!

Take Brian Robiski in rd 2. if you have to take WR.

EvilXenu is offline Registered User

There are a lot of good WRs in this draft. I don't think the Rams should take Crabtree with Curry or a top OT available.
    And you thought Mike Martz was "mad"!

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Now that it is only a matter of days before Torry "Big Game" Holt is officially off the Rams roster, and having big games for other teams, our WR suddenly look like a college football team.
    with Dane Looker being our slot reciever and no dominate #1 wide receiver. While I feel Donnie Avery is a great reciever, i dont think he is anything more then a #2 Reciever..
    So a 'great' WR can't be the number one WR on our roster? I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone else who feels that he won't be atop our depth chart come September.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tholtfan
    .and no way Keenan Burton is #2 Reciever potential, he is a slot reciever.
    Based on what evidence? His hands, size and speed make him an ideal possession receiver, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN
    So if the Rams pass on Crabtree, and draft a WR in round 2, i doubt he hops Burton..leaving our WR at:
    #1-Donnie Avery
    #2-Keenan Burton
    #3-Drafted WR
    There's definitely a hole there, and I think it has more to do with a lack of veteran leadership than a lack of talent. Typically it takes NFL receivers three years to really hit their stride, and as good as Crabtree is, he won't address an immediate need. He'll still require time to adjust, as all rookies do.

While improving our line is important for our QB and RB play, the QB NEEDS people to be able to pass to..and the RB needs to have Recievers who can keep the defense honest and who won't be thinking Run most of the time
    None of this will happen without a functional OL. I think the best investment in the future of this offense has to lie with Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith.

...for those who saw State of the Franchise on the Rams..you all saw that we are running a Phildelphia Eagles offense..that is a balanced offense meaning that we will still be passing a good amount..Crabtree is a IDEAL WCO WR...guy is strong and can get a ton of YAC...He had 227 catches and 40 touchdowns and 3,097 in only two seasons! Also, we all saw that play at the end of the game vs Texas for the victory...
    There's no guarantee that Crabtree will be able to consistently produce 'Texas vs. Texas Tech' moments in the pros. What's interesting about Tx. Tech is that they employ the spread offense, meaning that the QB, on most downs, lines up in the shotgun out of a no-huddle and as such has more time to get the ball down to his receivers before he is hit. Mike Leach's particular brand of the spread offense at Texas Tech is focuses heavily on pass plays. Obviously, Crabtree's production is going to be boosted by this type of play. It's also part of the reason why Graham Harrell can have the sort of season he did and be considered at best a mid-round prospect and also the reason why Alex Smith flopped as a starter coming out of Utah.

As such, although Crabtree's production seems impressive, it is subject to the offensive scheme and not entirely a result of natural skill and dedication to the game.

The Rams will not be able to employ a pass-heavy, Eagles-type West Coast Offense if Bulger has no protection. The more he drops back, the more likely he is to get hit, get hurt, and get the hell out of St. Louis.
    While i wouldn't mind us taking Aaron Curry, i think it would be a mistake because I would much rather have Chris Draft lined up as one of our linebackers, then having recievers much higher in the depth chart then they should be
    There are no guarantees as to the immediate impact Michael Crabtree could have. He has to learn the system, he has to overcome a foot injury and history certainly isn't on his side. Whether Crabtree's production would even warrant a high position on the depth chart this season is contentious. To suggest he instantly becomes Bulger's #1 target is just silly.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    So a 'great' WR can't be the number one WR on our roster? I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone else who feels that he won't be atop our depth chart come September.

Based on what evidence? His hands, size and speed make him an ideal possession receiver, IMO.

There's definitely a hole there, and I think it has more to do with a lack of veteran leadership than a lack of talent. Typically it takes NFL receivers three years to really hit their stride, and as good as Crabtree is, he won't address an immediate need. He'll still require time to adjust, as all rookies do.

None of this will happen without a functional OL. I think the best investment in the future of this offense has to lie with Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith.

There's no guarantee that Crabtree will be able to consistently produce 'Texas vs. Texas Tech' moments in the pros. What's interesting about Tx. Tech is that they employ the spread offense, meaning that the QB, on most downs, lines up in the shotgun out of a no-huddle and as such has more time to get the ball down to his receivers before he is hit. Mike Leach's particular brand of the spread offense at Texas Tech is focuses heavily on pass plays. Obviously, Crabtree's production is going to be boosted by this type of play. It's also part of the reason why Graham Harrell can have the sort of season he did and be considered at best a mid-round prospect and also the reason why Alex Smith flopped as a starter coming out of Utah.

As such, although Crabtree's production seems impressive, it is subject to the offensive scheme and not entirely a result of natural skill and dedication to the game.

The Rams will not be able to employ a pass-heavy, Eagles-type West Coast Offense if Bulger has no protection. The more he drops back, the more likely he is to get hit, get hurt, and get the hell out of St. Louis.

There are no guarantees as to the immediate impact Michael Crabtree could have. He has to learn the system, he has to overcome a foot injury and history certainly isn't on his side. Whether Crabtree's production would even warrant a high position on the depth chart this season is contentious. To suggest he instantly becomes Bulger's #1 target is just silly.
    I'm slightly faded n in need to pass out after a pitcher of beer n then some more, but I'm going to rip this argument to shreds in the near future. Good night <cheers>

shower beers is offline Registered User

I am posting in a Michael Crabtree thread.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    I'm slightly faded n in need to pass out after a pitcher of beer n then some more, but I'm going to rip this argument to shreds in the near future. Good night <cheers>
    Wow, smack talk.

That's original.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Haha, what? Annnnyway, the thing is that one can always make an argument about why 1 position is more important than another because it makes everybody else on the field look better. The only problem is that logic can be applied to any position on the field, so it's not an argument for 1 position over another.

But one thing I think you have to consider is that a good WR needs a good O-Line for his potential to show; the reverse is not true. So it's not necessarily a case of 1 position being more important than another, it's a case of 1 position that should be filled before another. It's in this sense that an O-Line is foundational - not because it's necessarily the most important position on the field, but because it's the first bottleneck that an offense is going to encounter. Fill holes on your O-Line first, and then you can worry about holes further downstream.

Weddle is offline Registered User

I wanna hear this "rip".... LongBlood, where are you?? How can you doubt the Messiah, Our Saviour...???

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Please no Terrell Owens. Please.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    Please no Terrell Owens. Please.

agreed. I'm surprised there is a discussion for this, let alone supporters.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Without Holt our wide receivers wouldn’t scare most college teams in the nation. Their just too young to compete in the NFL. Problem is we might have a better offensive line after the draft but Bulger will still have trouble with someone getting open. We are gonna have to be really patient with this group…

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

Got your back on this one BBQ, I completely agree. I would love to see some Crabtree lovers challenge your logic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast