Krusher is offline Registered User

My crystal ball for draft day.

#11 (KAMERION WIMBLEY or MANNY LAWSON) I'm convinced the RAMS want a pass-rusher, ASAP.

#46 (JOE KLOPFENSTEIN) Linehan's comments tell me he's hell-bent on fixing this team's Red-zone problems, AND a pass-catching TE is the key remedy!

Comments: If no TE in the 2nd round, look for DAVID THOMAS in the 3rd.

BUNKLEY (if there) is the alternative to DE at #11. No way they take GREENWAY or a DB, unless HUFF falls shockingly.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: My crystal ball for draft day.

I might be in the minority, but I like Carpenter better than Wimbley or Lawson as an OLB pass-rusher. He's a little slower, but he has the advantage in strength, plays the run better, and is still a very good blitzer. I think he is a better rounded player. Number 11 is pretty early for him, though. I know people say we need somebody who can play OLB and DE. I'd rather have a true SLB and let Little be the swing DE/OLB. If we really are going to be incorporating some 3-4 looks, I'm thinking if we take a DE, it ought to be someone big enough to line up at that position in the 3-4.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm thinking if we take a DE, it ought to be someone big enough to line up at that position in the 3-4.
    Good point. However, in this draft Mario Williams is the only true DE big enough to play End on a 3-4 unit.

A late round DE that could do the job is Grambling's Jason Hatcher. He's 6'6", 285 and pretty athletic for a big guy. He's raw, but he with a little work, he could be a 3-4 DE.

Another option could be Washington's Manase Hopoi. A great interior pass rusher at 6'4", 286. Great motor and has a knack at getting to the passer. Doesn't shed well, however.

Some other potential 3-4 DEs...

Larry Dibbles, Texas, DT, 6'2", 285
    Very strong and takes on blockers like a 2-gap DT. However, his size may limit that ability with larger NFL linemen.

McKinley Boykin, Ohio St., DT, 6'1", 290
    Consistently gets into the backfield, and can occupy multiple blockers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

Haloti Ngata, DT from Oregon (local Samoan produce). :angryram:

I can't remember who made this recommendation a couple of weeks ago in our forum, but ever since, this big youngster, to me, has been a very, very favorable selection!

MartialRAM is offline Registered User

Cool Re: My crystal ball for draft day.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Some other potential 3-4 DEs...
    Am I missing something? I though Lin said we were only going to go "sometimes" 3-4. What's all this talk of getting a 3-4 DE?

MR

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Dude listen, Antonio Cromartie! Antonio Cromartie! My instincts tell me that this kid is going to be a BIG TIME player in the NFL. If I was the GM of the Rams (which I am not, fortunately for the Rams) I would trade down and get this kid. We would probraly get a 3rd to trade down somewhere near Cromartie land, and with that pick I am taking Marcus Vick! Yeah boy, a hell of an athlete, and he wins games.

200th Post By The Way! That makes this post all the more credible!

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Haloti Ngata, DT from Oregon (local Samoan produce). :angryram:

I can't remember who made this recommendation a couple of weeks ago in our forum, but ever since, this big youngster, to me, has been a very, very favorable selection!
    I don't know Kennedy, Pickett, and Lewis didn't really work for us. The only way I would feel comfortable on the Rams picking a DT in the 1st round is if he was 400+ lbs and ran a 5.00-5.10 40, and 35+ Reps. And yes, I will keep dreaming. :tongue:

realchamp11 is offline Registered User

i think we could get thomas in the 5th. And at 11 we should take Manny lawson

:1:

:1:PLAY EVER SNAP LIKE IT YOUR LAST!!!:1:

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    I don't know Kennedy, Pickett, and Lewis didn't really work for us. The only way I would feel comfortable on the Rams picking a DT in the 1st round is if he was 400+ lbs and ran a 5.00-5.10 40, and 35+ Reps. And yes, I will keep dreaming. :tongue:
    I understand the feeling, but the logic here doesn't make sense. Should avoid linebackers because R. Thomas didn't really work out? There are busts at every position. The last regime didn't do its work on first round draft choices -- I think this is pretty obvious by the way -- and got burned a lot as a result. When they made the smart pick (like last year), it turned out ok. From what we can see, the current group is doing a good job of preparing.

FWIW, I said months ago the Rams needed a DE. The problem is that Hali's stock has dropped like a rock in water, Kiwanukis' value is too low for 11, and we've never had a shot at Williams. If we really want to do a pass rushing end, it make be a guy like Wimbely. Lawson would have to be a LB for us and I don't see that happening.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MartialRAM
    Am I missing something? I though Lin said we were only going to go "sometimes" 3-4. What's all this talk of getting a 3-4 DE?

MR
    Well, if we are going to go with a 3-4 sometimes.......it would be helpful to have a 3-4 DE, sometimes.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    I understand the feeling, but the logic here doesn't make sense. Should avoid linebackers because R. Thomas didn't really work out? There are busts at every position. The last regime didn't do its work on first round draft choices -- I think this is pretty obvious by the way -- and got burned a lot as a result. When they made the smart pick (like last year), it turned out ok. From what we can see, the current group is doing a good job of preparing.

FWIW, I said months ago the Rams needed a DE. The problem is that Hali's stock has dropped like a rock in water, Kiwanukis' value is too low for 11, and we've never had a shot at Williams. If we really want to do a pass rushing end, it make be a guy like Wimbely. Lawson would have to be a LB for us and I don't see that happening.
    I feel you, my arguement is more superstitious than logical.