Thread: My Draft Ideas

BM_Face is offline Registered User

My Draft Ideas

I thought I would put in my choices and see if anyone likes my picks. I will rely on those of you who have done real research to let me know if I have done something really pointless. I tried to pick solid players to fill our weaknesses, and avoided any obvious project types. I have given two or more choices (listed in order of preference) for most of the rounds to allow for some adjustment.

First Round
    Chris Long (Virginia)
    Vernon Gholston (Ohio State)
    Help at DE is a no-brainer, and picking second means we will get one of them.

Second Round
    Devin Thomas (Michigan St.)
    Jordy Nelson (Kansas St.)
    Thomas seems obvious if he is still available, but I am not totally sold on a burner, so I put Jordy in there; he will be moving the chains on Sunday somewhere, and seems like a great fit for us. If there is not a run on WRís in the first we might have a real shot at Thomas, or we could trade down a half-dozen spots and still get Jordy.

Third Round
    John Greco (Toledo)
    Tony Hills (Texas)
    Time to give some love to the O-line, and both of these OTís are pretty solid. Greco can play guard and Hills was a big contributor for the Longhorns. By holding off until round three, I am betting our current line players stay healthier in 2008.

Fourth Round
    Chevis Jackson (LSU)
    Antwuan Molden (Eastern Kentucky)
    I almost went CB in the second, but I think either one of these players could contribute, and will still be around. Jackson started all 14 games in 2007 and Molden is big and fast enough (just). We are not going to get a shut-down corner this draft anyway.

Fifth Round
    Doug Legursky (Marshall)
    More help for the o-line in the form of a center. Described as a rock, which is what we need, and being coached by Mark Bartrum in long-snapping.

Sixth Round
    Larry Grant (Ohio State)
    David Vobora (Idaho)
    Curtis Johnson (Clark Atlantic)
    OLB is something I would like to see before the sixth round, but Grant and Vobora would be good late choices, and Curtis Johnson could play SS.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Re: My Draft Ideas

I think Nelson is a little bit of a reach with the 33rd pick when guys like Hardy, Manningham, Hawkins, Doucet, and Caldwell could all be there

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I second fan81, however, his idea behind Nelson was that we auction off the pick to someone wanting a QB if they're there or someone else that slipped. He might have meant to draft Nelson there at #33, but I think only if he was the top WR on our board at that point. Of course, if that happened, then there would be a great player who dropped to us and I think we'd have better value with player X. I do think a WR from round one will drop to us though, so it's a moot point.

I like the rest of the mock though, and think it's as good of a solution to all of our holes as any. At this point, as long as rounds 5-7 address offensive line and anywhere on the defense, I'll be happy. I don't think we need any offensive skill players down there unless for some reason we haven't taken a WR by then.

keith m. klink Guest

i thought that a few of your picks could have been had in later rounds .

chiguy is offline Registered User

I like the position priorities generally speaking, though I'd prefer to see us draft a tackle in round two rather than a receiver. I also wonder how useful another young CB would be; what we really need is a veteran who can provide depth.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Thanks for the responses and feedback, I appreciate it. If Thomas is still there at #33, I say pull the trigger, if he is not, then trade down in the second round and still pick-up Jordy. A high pick in the second round has real value that we could capitalize on if we trade down with the right team. If we are not getting Jake Long in the 1st, then there is not that much drop-off between the 2nd and 3rd round OT's.

Some of my picks will probably fall to later rounds, but I tried to draft players that I feel fit in with the Rams. My current draft-crush is on Jordy Nelson; this guy is the big possesion receiver we need to move the chains and give us some traction in the red-zone. I am fascinated with this draft and intend to do more research (which includes peeking at all the other mocks here and on other interweb sites). GoRams!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I love how youve laid how what positions to draft where. Though I think we could get a better WR in the second round, you have the layout exactly like I'd want it.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Good format....I like how you gave options. PURE SPECULATION...I think Jordy Nelson will be no more than a 3rd WR. He's a hard worker and I like him, but Im not sold on him. I do like Devin Thomas though.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Good job BM_Face. I agree with Mooselini, I think we could get a better WR in the 2nd round.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, as BM says, Nelson is a possession receiver, just like Drew Bennett. How long do you think it'll be before people complain about him not being fast enough or something. If he's the best receiver left, I'd be ok, but I'm just predicting some people will be rather angry if we take him and he looks like another Bennett.

Manningham if he drops!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Nelson ran a 4.51 at the Combine. That's equal to or better than a lot of receivers who don't have the "possession" tag hung around their neck.....James Hardy, Lavelle Hawkins, Harry Douglas, DJ Hall, Manningham, Sweed.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod